Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ACLU Sues Indiana Town over Cross on Top of Christmas Tree

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:32 PM
  • 321 Replies

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/12/11/aclu-sues-indiana-town-cross-top-christmas-tree/

The ACLU of Indianapolis is suing the town of Knightstown over a Christmas tree because it includes a lighted cross at the top of the tree, Fox News reported.

It was only recently that the town has faced opposition over the cross on top of the tree, Fox 59 Indianapolis reported.

“A couple weeks ago they had a crowd here,” said Knightstown resident Mark Tompkins. “Everybody was here. Everybody was fine with it. But now you’ve got one person, you know, out of everybody.”

Tompkins disagrees with the ACLU lawsuit even though his relative is the plaintiff, according to Fox 59.

The ACLU says in the lawsuit that Joseph Tompkins takes issue with the cross because it violates the separation of church and state.

The lawsuit, which was filed Thursday, says he has been “forced to come into unwelcome contact” with the display, causing him “irreparable harm.”

Tompkins also objects to his tax dollars being used to fund the display, according to court documents.

“I think we can find people in this town that can replace that 0.0004 cents to give to him and not have to worry about it,” Knightstown businessman Lau Ghioc said in response to Tompkins’ objection.

Tompkins wants the town to remove the cross and pay him monetary damages, the Indianapolis Star reports.

A Knightstown representative never returned the paper’s requests for comment.

by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:38 PM
9 moms liked this
If there were a Muslim religious symbol being displayed prominently in a town center, would everyone be a-ok with that? No they wouldn't. Get rid of the cross because it violates the Establishment Clause. He doesn't need to be awarded money, but the losing side should pay all legal and court costs. Put a star on top of the tree. Don't violate the Establishment Clause with strictly religious symbols again. End of issue.
billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:42 PM
3 moms liked this
It's not violating separation of church and state.
No one is forcing anyone into beliving a religion or forcing them to pray or practice a religion.
If they were then it would be in violation.
MonarchMom22
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:48 PM
7 moms liked this

The suit was brought by a citizen in the town, with the support of the ACLU.  That citizen does not want the town to use taxpayer dollars to place religous sympbols on public land.  Similar suits in many states have been upheld.  What is so hard to understand about people not wanting religion promoted by their gorvernment?  

Everyone is free to worship as they choose, and to support any church they choose.  Churchs already get public support by being exempt from taxes.  What they don't get is to use public land - shared by all - to promote any particluar belief or religion.

meriana
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:53 PM
8 moms liked this

How pathetic and ridiculous. Apparently everyone else in town had no problem with it. I'd like to know just what irreparable harm has been done to this guy simply by seeing a display he doesn't like and just how does it violate seperation of church and state since it's in the middle of town? He wants damages in what amount? Seems to me like the guy just wants money and thinks this is a good way to get it. I hope he loses the lawsuit because if he wins, it'll just be a case of one person's personal feelings being set up as of more importance than everyone else's in the town and basically telling everyone else that they cannot enjoy something if this one guy doesn't like it.

nononenever
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:56 PM
2 moms liked this
A cross on a tree? Why would Christians want to celebrate the birth of Christ with a cross that symbolizes his crucifixion. Rather morbid.
MonarchMom22
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 7:10 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting nononenever: A cross on a tree? Why would Christians want to celebrate the birth of Christ with a cross that symbolizes his crucifixion. Rather morbid.

I've never seen this either, maybe a mid-western thing?

But people seem to want to think they are entitled to do as they wish on public land, and that the majority should silence the minority opinion.  But that is not what America holds true.  The point of the Bill of Rights and Constitution is that every person has rights, and all are equal. No one person or group of people get to use public land and money to promote their specific religion.

meriana
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting nononenever: A cross on a tree? Why would Christians want to celebrate the birth of Christ with a cross that symbolizes his crucifixion. Rather morbid.

Actually I've always thought pretty much the same thing regarding the cross earings and necklaces people wear. It doesn't bother me in any way and some of them really are quite beautiful in the design and/or the stones, etc.. I just always have thought it a bit morbid.

wymama610
by on Dec. 11, 2016 at 7:17 PM
2 moms liked this
Considering he was born for the sole purpose of dying on that cross to save humanity, it's not a big stretch.

pdxmum
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 7:31 PM
2 moms liked this
So you would be ok with Muslim symbolism atop the tree or displayed by city government?

Quoting billsfan1104: It's not violating separation of church and state.
No one is forcing anyone into beliving a religion or forcing them to pray or practice a religion.
If they were then it would be in violation.
pdxmum
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Or a cross as your CM avi

Quoting meriana:

Actually I've always thought pretty much the same thing regarding the cross earings and necklaces people wear. It doesn't bother me in any way and some of them really are quite beautiful in the design and/or the stones, etc.. I just always have thought it a bit morbid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)