• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Smoking In Cars With Children Is Illegal Starting November 1, 2017

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2017 at 5:27 AM
  • 61 Replies
3 moms liked this
#1 No More Smoking In Cars With Children

There’s a new law aimed at protecting children from secondhand smoke, and if you are caught, the fine is going to be up to $80. On November 1st, it will be illegal to smoke in cars that have kids in them.

#2 Thousands Of Chemicals

When a kid breathes in that secondhand smoke, they are breathing in thousands of chemicals, very similar to what the actual smoker breathes in. This is according to the Department of Health. Naturally this means they are now at risk for the following: cancer, bronchitis, pneumonia, and the worsening of asthma.

#3 All Private Vehicles

Any private vehicle which is enclosed either wholly or partly by a roof, is subject to this law. This means that even if you have your window open or a sunroof up, the law will still apply. Even if you are parked with the door open, the law still applies. Now the one exception is a convertible that has the roof completely down.
#4 Other Vehicles Have Their Own Rules

Vehicles that are not affected are boats, ships, and aircrafts, as they have their own rules. Also, work vehicles and public transportation are also not affected. They already have smoke-free laws attached to them and the new law is focusing on private vehicles.

Since kids breath more rapidly, they are especially prone to sucking in secondhand smoke. That and their airways are less developed as is their lungs and immune systems also.

So if you are a parent who smokes in the car while taking the kids to school, and even if you have the window down, you could be fined. So save your smokes for later, or else buy a convertible.

http://savehealth.co/smoking-in-cars-with-children-is-illegal-starting-november-1-2017/
by on Jan. 11, 2017 at 5:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Debmomto2teens
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2017 at 5:35 AM
6 moms liked this
Good. I get years ago people did not know better but, only an asshole smokes in a car with a child. Second hand smoke is becoming very deadly.
JalynSpoon
by Cajun on Jan. 11, 2017 at 6:11 AM

It's been a law in Louisiana since a year or two ago.. I think two years ago because my brother used that against his ex-wife in the divorce.

MistyMoo
by Member on Jan. 11, 2017 at 6:21 AM
3 moms liked this
This has been law for a looooooooong time where I live.
Cenedra64
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2017 at 7:35 AM
3 moms liked this

they tried to pass that law in NC in 2004 and it failed.  This is a large tobacco producing state

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2017 at 7:51 AM
2 moms liked this
what state is this from? I couldn't find anything about that date being the starting point in any state. there are a few states that have already done this but this particular article appears to be a reprint of a fake news article that came out last year, word for word, but with a new date.
diaperstodating
by on Jan. 11, 2017 at 7:59 AM
This is great.
EarlGrayHot
by on Jan. 11, 2017 at 9:29 AM

WHERE is it going to be illegal?  I agree it's a terrible idea to smoke around kids and my asthma is partly due to my parents smoking.  But where is this law supposed to be enforced?  What state?  Is it a Federal law?  There are not any details making this clear.

PamR
by Ruby Member on Jan. 11, 2017 at 9:30 AM

Good. 

Northern.Maple
by on Jan. 11, 2017 at 9:33 AM

This has been a law for several years in Canada, well at least in Ontario it has been. Its a great law but sadly MOST do not follow it. There is also no smoking in public places here either, parks, hiking trails, sports firlds and the beach, sidewalks and so much more, nut again MOST do not follow it!

Momtoone07
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2017 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
It's been legal here got almost ten years. It has been illegal to smoke it bars, restaurants, state parks and beaches, etc for many years, too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)