Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Senate panel plans to investigate Russian activities during US elections

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:28 PM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this
Senate panel plans to investigate Russian activities during US elections

Richard Gonzales | NPR 2 hours ago

The top Republican and Democrat on the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence say they intend to investigate the allegations of Russian meddling in the U.S. elections.

In a joint statement, Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., chairman of the committee and Sen. Mark Warner, D-Va., the vice-chairman, said "we believe that it is critical to have a full understanding of the scope of Russian intelligence activities impacting the United States."

The announcement comes after President-elect Donald Trump acknowledged that Russia was behind the hacking of the Democratic Party in the period leading up to his election.

But Trump continues to deny that the hacking helped his election campaign.

The senators promised a bipartisan inquiry into events that led to the Intelligence Community assessment released on Jan. 6.

They said their inquiry will include, but is not limited to:

"A review of the intelligence that informed the Intelligence Community Assessment "Russian Activities and Intentions in Recent US Elections;

"Counterintelligence concerns related to Russia and the 2016 U.S. election, including any intelligence regarding links between Russia and individuals associated with political campaigns;

"Russian cyber activity and other "active measures" directed against the U.S., both as it regards the 2016 election and more broadly."

The lawmakers said they'll hold hearings on Russian intelligence activity, but also warned that much of their business will be conducted "behind closed doors because we take seriously our obligation to protect sources and methods." The committee will produce classified and unclassified reports on its findings.

"The Committee will follow the intelligence wherever it leads. We will conduct this inquiry expeditiously, and we will get it right. When possible, the Committee will hold open hearings to help inform the public about the issues," they said.

In separate comments, Burr said the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence already has held 10 hearings on Russia's activity around the world.

Warner invoked a more ominous tone, saying, "This issue impacts the foundations of our democratic system, it's that important. ... If it turns out that SSCI cannot properly conduct this investigation, I will support legislation to empower whoever can do it right."

http://www.scpr.org/news/2017/01/13/68130/senate-panel-plans-to-investigate-russian-activiti/
by on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2017 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this
"Counterintelligence concerns related to Russia and the 2016 U.S. election, including any intelligence regarding links between Russia and individuals associated with political campaigns..."

This is the past of the investigation they really excites me! This should be conducted by the FBI. But as Comey is being investigated by the Justice Department, that may be unrealistic right about now. So I'll take what I can get.

Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2017 at 6:14 AM
As long as they actually know in the end whether or not Trump, Pence, etc colluded with Russia to undermine our elections and announce the results, I don't care if the whole investigation is done "behind closed doors".
billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2017 at 6:25 AM
It's very insulting that democrats think that conservatives are so stupid that they voted for Trump just because of some emails.
Hillary lost. Period and point blank. The Russians did not write those emails. The Russians didn't make Hillary call Americans deplorables. Russians didn't make democrats ignore Americans that were hurting. Russians didn't push through Obamacare bankrupting Americans.
Keep pushing this and calling half of the American people stupid and Democrats will keep losing.
Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2017 at 6:35 AM
4 moms liked this
I find it quite heartening that this committee is clearly bipartisan and concerned about "...links between Russia and individuals associated with political campaigns..." It isn't a democratic or Republican issue. It is a legal, ethical, and fair election issue. The end! 😠
BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Jan. 14, 2017 at 8:57 AM
6 moms liked this
There is a lot of evidence showing that there was a lot of fake news being spread during the campaign. These stories circulated throughout the US (some were probably even posted here) but came from foreign sources. Word has it that Russia is responsible for a large majority of the propaganda.

Doesn't it concern you that our election was possibly tampered with from an outside source that has no good intentions towards us?

Quoting billsfan1104: It's very insulting that democrats think that conservatives are so stupid that they voted for Trump just because of some emails.
Hillary lost. Period and point blank. The Russians did not write those emails. The Russians didn't make Hillary call Americans deplorables. Russians didn't make democrats ignore Americans that were hurting. Russians didn't push through Obamacare bankrupting Americans.
Keep pushing this and calling half of the American people stupid and Democrats will keep losing.
GrettieMeh
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2017 at 9:32 AM
3 moms liked this

For what is in red, not directed at Bills, but for many - no it doesn't.  It alarms me how many justify the dirt in the emails to OK the hacks.  You can't even have a conversation with these people.  It's all about the fact that they "won."   

As a wise Republican has said.  This time it's the Democrats.  Next time could be the Republicans and I would hope there would be just as much push to investigate if the situation was flipped.

I am so pleased to see many Republicans pushing back and demanding an investigation into this.  

Quoting BluesPagan2.0: There is a lot of evidence showing that there was a lot of fake news being spread during the campaign. These stories circulated throughout the US (some were probably even posted here) but came from foreign sources. Word has it that Russia is responsible for a large majority of the propaganda. Doesn't it concern you that our election was possibly tampered with from an outside source that has no good intentions towards us?
Quoting billsfan1104: It's very insulting that democrats think that conservatives are so stupid that they voted for Trump just because of some emails. Hillary lost. Period and point blank. The Russians did not write those emails. The Russians didn't make Hillary call Americans deplorables. Russians didn't make democrats ignore Americans that were hurting. Russians didn't push through Obamacare bankrupting Americans. Keep pushing this and calling half of the American people stupid and Democrats will keep losing.

BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Jan. 14, 2017 at 9:45 AM
3 moms liked this
This should be a non partisan issue. It shouldn't matter which party was affected. What should matter is getting to the bottom of the allegations. Plain and simple. I'm shocked to see those on the right dismiss this issue because they have a republican president. Time to set aside team spirit and have some patriotism.

Quoting GrettieMeh:

For what is in red, not directed at Bills, but for many - no it doesn't.  It alarms me how many justify the dirt in the emails to OK the hacks.  You can't even have a conversation with these people.  It's all about the fact that they "won."   

As a wise Republican has said.  This time it's the Democrats.  Next time could be the Republicans and I would hope there would be just as much push to investigate if the situation was flipped.

I am so pleased to see many Republicans pushing back and demanding an investigation into this.  

Quoting BluesPagan2.0: There is a lot of evidence showing that there was a lot of fake news being spread during the campaign. These stories circulated throughout the US (some were probably even posted here) but came from foreign sources. Word has it that Russia is responsible for a large majority of the propaganda.

Doesn't it concern you that our election was possibly tampered with from an outside source that has no good intentions towards us?

Quoting billsfan1104: It's very insulting that democrats think that conservatives are so stupid that they voted for Trump just because of some emails.

billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on Jan. 14, 2017 at 10:11 AM
Don't you find it concerning that the media like CNN, MSNBC, BUZZFEED and other just puts things out there to sway voters as well instead of just reporting the news??
Putting out news and saying "we haven't confirmed" or "it's unconfirmed" or "it's unsubstantiated". Do you not see how dangerous the press is now??
Like I said to bookwormy(and I know what she is doing now), what if the media said about you "there are unconfirmed reports that Bluespagen is a child sex trafficker?" We don't have proof, but we need to investigate, but we will report it.
There is no proof, nothing, just ineuendos and accusations that The Russians hacked the computers and released emails.
It's very condescending that you and other liberals think that conservatives only voted for Trump because of the emails and some of the fake news stories. What you and others are saying is that conservatives are stupid and ignorant and don't know how to vote.

Quoting BluesPagan2.0: There is a lot of evidence showing that there was a lot of fake news being spread during the campaign. These stories circulated throughout the US (some were probably even posted here) but came from foreign sources. Word has it that Russia is responsible for a large majority of the propaganda.

PamR
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2017 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

You forgot to mention FOX.

Journalism is in a dismal state right now. 

Quoting billsfan1104: Don't you find it concerning that the media like CNN, MSNBC, BUZZFEED and other just puts things out there to sway voters as well instead of just reporting the news?? Putting out news and saying "we haven't confirmed" or "it's unconfirmed" or "it's unsubstantiated". Do you not see how dangerous the press is now?? Like I said to bookwormy(and I know what she is doing now), what if the media said about you "there are unconfirmed reports that Bluespagen is a child sex trafficker?" We don't have proof, but we need to investigate, but we will report it. There is no proof, nothing, just ineuendos and accusations that The Russians hacked the computers and released emails. It's very condescending that you and other liberals think that conservatives only voted for Trump because of the emails and some of the fake news stories. What you and others are saying is that conservatives are stupid and ignorant and don't know how to vote.
Quoting BluesPagan2.0: There is a lot of evidence showing that there was a lot of fake news being spread during the campaign. These stories circulated throughout the US (some were probably even posted here) but came from foreign sources. Word has it that Russia is responsible for a large majority of the propaganda. Doesn't it concern you that our election was possibly tampered with from an outside source that has no good intentions towards us?
Quoting billsfan1104: It's very insulting that democrats think that conservatives are so stupid that they voted for Trump just because of some emails. Hillary lost. Period and point blank. The Russians did not write those emails. The Russians didn't make Hillary call Americans deplorables. Russians didn't make democrats ignore Americans that were hurting. Russians didn't push through Obamacare bankrupting Americans. Keep pushing this and calling half of the American people stupid and Democrats will keep losing.

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2017 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
It's not just Democrats. Read the first sentence (sorry, I can't cut and paste).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)