Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So Rep Lewis also boycotted Bush's Inauguration? For same reason?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:11 AM
  • 7 Replies
Trump maintains feud with Lewis: He also boycotted Bush 43

Politico-
By NOLAN D. MCCASKILL 01/17/17 10:17 AM EST
Either civil rights icon John Lewis is wrong about how many inaugurations he’s skipped since he joined Congress in 1987 or he lied about it, President-elect Donald Trump tweeted Tuesday.

Lewis, a Democratic congressman representing Georgia’s 5th Congressional District, told NBC’s “Meet the Press” in an interview broadcast Sunday that he doesn’t “see this president-elect as a legitimate president” and that he wouldn’t attend Trump’s inauguration Friday.

“It will be the first one that I miss since I've been in the Congress,” Lewis told host Chuck Todd. “You cannot be at home with something that you feel that is wrong, is not right.”
In a pair of tweets Tuesday morning, Trump quoted the Georgia congressman, whom he had lashed out at over the weekend for questioning the legitimacy of his election.

“John Lewis said about my inauguration, ‘It will be the first one that I've missed,’” Trump wrote. “WRONG (or lie)! He boycotted Bush 43 also because he ‘thought it would be hypocritical to attend Bush's swearing-in....he doesn't believe Bush is the true elected president.’ Sound familiar! WP”

Trump was apparently citing a 2001 Washington Post report, which wrote that some members of the Congressional Black Caucus were boycotting George W. Bush’s inauguration.

“John Lewis, for instance, spent the day in his Atlanta district,” the Post reported on Jan. 21, 2001. “He thought it would be hypocritical to attend Bush's swearing-in because he doesn't believe Bush is the true elected president.”

In an interview with Fox News, Arizona Sen. John McCain called Lewis “an American hero.” “But the fact is that this is not the first time that Congressman Lewis has taken a very extreme stand and condemned without any shred of evidence for doing so an incoming president of the United States,” he said. “This is a stain on Congressman Lewis' reputation — no one else’s.”

by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:12 AM
Sounds like Lewis has had a flare for the dramatics for some time. Decades. Lol.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:27 AM

LOL  Civil rights heroes must really piss you off aye.  Bet you want them to disappear into the history books so you can "get over it"  

so predictable.

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:30 AM
He has missed 2 inaugurations. For the same reason.
Guess we can all see that Even civil rights heros lie to serve a political agenda.

Like McCain said "an American hero.” “But the fact is that this is not the first time that Congressman Lewis has taken a very extreme stand and condemned without any shred of evidence for doing so an incoming president of the United States,” he said. “This is a stain on Congressman Lewis' reputation — no one else’s.”

Quoting turtle68:

LOL  Civil rights heroes must really piss you off aye.  Bet you want them to disappear into the history books so you can "get over it"  

so predictable.

broboxer
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:30 AM
He claims he "forgot". Maybe dementia setting in? Or, it's just another liberal throwing a temper tantrum.

Quoting jcrew6: Sounds like Lewis has had a flare for the dramatics for some time. Decades. Lol.

jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm thinking it's a Liberal Hissy fit for the elections not going his way.
I would think one's aids would remind you before you went on national news to state your case. Perhaps he forgot. It seems odd that is aids would.
Let the libs on cm spin it.

Fact remains. He used the same excuse in 2001. And 2016. For republican presidential inaugurations.

Quoting broboxer: He claims he "forgot". Maybe dementia setting in? Or, it's just another liberal throwing a temper tantrum.

Quoting jcrew6: Sounds like Lewis has had a flare for the dramatics for some time. Decades. Lol.

btamilee2750
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:43 AM

He forgot?  How do you possibly forget making a decision to not attend an inauguration of a President? Hmmmmm.....

billsfan1104
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 7:48 AM
Funny how the media made this story out be historic preportuons that he his sitting out trumps innaugeration.
So they lied too. They again ran with a story without checking sources and the truth.
I am sorry even heroes lie and he should not get away with because he has civil rights hero attached to his name.

Quoting jcrew6: I'm thinking it's a Liberal Hissy fit for the elections not going his way.
I would think one's aids would remind you before you went on national news to state your case. Perhaps he forgot. It seems odd that is aids would.
Let the libs on cm spin it.

Fact remains. He used the same excuse in 2001. And 2016. For republican presidential inaugurations.

Quoting broboxer: He claims he "forgot". Maybe dementia setting in? Or, it's just another liberal throwing a temper tantrum.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)