Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DeVos Says States Shouldn't Have to Comply With Federal Law Protecting Disabled Students

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:20 AM
KK
  • 65 Replies

DeVos Says States Shouldn't Have to Comply With Federal Law Protecting Disabled Students

Slate.com

by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joyfree
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:28 AM
4 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Yeah sure lady. Like people with handicapped kids can just pick up and move to another state away from their whole support systems.

This woman is a nightmare waiting to happen. Amway pyramid "ponzi" scheme shyster.
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

someone found a new cache of pics.  :) 

Quoting joyfree:

Mobile Photo

Yeah sure lady. Like people with handicapped kids can just pick up and move to another state away from their whole support systems. This woman is a nightmare waiting to happen. Amway pyramid "ponzi" scheme shyster.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:38 AM
8 moms liked this

This woman frightens me for many reasons, this chief among them since I have a child with a disability. I have to fight now to get what he's entitled to, and with someone like this in that position, it'll only get harder for me and for him. 

I've been watching her confirmation hearing on CSPAN and she is clueless about pretty  much all things education. She has no idea how Pell grants or federal loans work, either, and that would be a huge part of this job. 

Trump is nominating people for these positions based on how much they donated to his campaign, or supported him in the past. While it's not uncommon for politicians to do this, it should not be allowed if appointing that person is a detriment to how this country will operate. This woman is a detriment, not an asset. 

nb34
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:41 AM
6 moms liked this

This woman is a nightmare for public education.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:43 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree...the bears in school thing was funny in a I can't believe she is this stupid way.  This is not.  This is scary stuff. 

I pulled my son out of school last year to homeschool him because trying to get his jr. high to comply with the components of his 504 was ridiculous.  I took the easy way out but not everyone can do this and not every one should do this.  Access to the necessary services for children may only be available to some through school.  To take that away would/could have devastating consequences.  

Quoting cjsbmom:

This woman frightens me for many reasons, this chief among them since I have a child with a disability. I have to fight now to get what he's entitled to, and with someone like this in that position, it'll only get harder for me and for him. 

I've been watching her confirmation hearing on CSPAN and she is clueless about pretty  much all things education. She has no idea how Pell grants or federal loans work, either, and that would be a huge part of this job. 

Trump is nominating people for these positions based on how much they donated to his campaign, or supported him in the past. While it's not uncommon for politicians to do this, it should not be allowed if appointing that person is a detriment to how this country will operate. This woman is a detriment, not an asset. 

Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:44 AM
2 moms liked this
Kids with disabilities should just be institutionalized like back in the good ol' days. No need to accommodate them...like a decent human being would...lock 'em away. πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„ Ugh, this woman is awful. Does anyone have a quick run down of what she's actually accomplished in her supposed 30 years of education experience??
OrangeBalloon
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

She is scary as fuck! I think it is really obvious that she should NOT have that position. 

BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:50 AM
7 moms liked this
I truly hope she is not given the nod for secretary of education. She will be a nightmare for public schools and education.
4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:51 AM
2 moms liked this

so far the only "accomplishments" I can find are that she served as chairwoman for the Michigan Republican party, she married a rich man and The Florida and Louisana's education choice programs.  I'm not sure I would count that as a success since the state's education ranking has dropped from 5th to 28th and Louisana is ranked dead last.  

Quoting Luvnlogic: Kids with disabilities should just be institutionalized like back in the good ol' days. No need to accommodate them...like a decent human being would...lock 'em away. πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„ Ugh, this woman is awful. Does anyone have a quick run down of what she's actually accomplished in her supposed 30 years of education experience??

Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 10:57 AM
2 moms liked this
Lovely resume. I caught her saying she's been a "voice for parents and students". Wasn't clear what exactly that entailed. I get wanting school choice...homeschool, charters, private, along with public. But don't gut standards or benchmarks to do that. There needs to be a minimum standard across the board for every state in this country if we're going to become educationally competitive in the world again.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

so far the only "accomplishments" I can find are that she served as chairwoman for the Michigan Republican party, she married a rich man and The Florida and Louisana's education choice programs.  I'm not sure I would count that as a success since the state's education ranking has dropped from 5th to 28th and Louisana is ranked dead last.  

Quoting Luvnlogic: Kids with disabilities should just be institutionalized like back in the good ol' days. No need to accommodate them...like a decent human being would...lock 'em away. πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„ Ugh, this woman is awful. Does anyone have a quick run down of what she's actually accomplished in her supposed 30 years of education experience??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)