Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Backlash is swift and brutal after Texas cafe offers chicken and watermelon special for MLK Day

Pema_Jampa
Yesterday at 2:24 PM
Jazzercise 1982 Original Workout 80's Video FUNNY COMPILATION Judi Sheppard Missett

Judi Sheppard Missett and her jazz moves in her 80s Shape Up with Jazzercise Exercise workout video. Jazzercise 1982 Original Workout FUNNY COMPILATION 80's ...

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:04 AM
  • 112 Replies

Backlash is swift and brutal after Texas cafe offers chicken and watermelon special for MLK Day

Sabrina Pyle, owner of the Azle Café in Texas (Screen cap via WFAA).

A cafe owner in Texas says she just wanted to have a fun special meal to celebrate Martin Luther King’s birthday — but she ended up angering her customers by offering a meal that’s based on racist stereotypes.

Local news station WFAA reports that Sabrina Pyle, owner of the Azle Café in Azle, Tex., was hit with an immediate backlash on social media Monday after she put up a post on Facebook wishing everyone a “Happy MLK Day,” then encouraging customers to “come have some chicken and waffles with a side of watermelon.”

Racist caricatures have long associated black people with watermelons in order to portray them as docile animals who would happily gorge themselves in watermelon patches all day instead of doing “real work,” as the following example shows:

You_can_plainly_see_how_miserable_I_am

By Unidentified (original) – http://www.rubylane.com/item/446472-1087/Racist-Cartoon-Black-Americana-Watermelon, Public Domain, Link

Pyle insists she didn’t know anything about the ugly history of using watermelons as a racist symbol to disparage African-Americans, however, and said she was simply trying to create a fun offer for MLK Day using what she thought was a playful stereotype.

“I wasn’t thinking about the historical (context),” she told WFAA. “I was thinking, we have margaritas and tacos on Cinco de Mayo, so, let’s have some fun with Martin Luther King Day.”

She quickly took the post down after receiving such a quick rebuke from Facebook users, however, and acknowledges that she made a mistake.

“I just did something distasteful,” she said. “I just didn’t think it through.”

Watch WFAA’s report on Pyle’s MLK Day special below.

http://interactive.tegna-media.com/video/embed/embed.html?id=2482084&type=video&title=Cafe%20in%20Azle%20in%20hot%20water%20after%20Facebook%20post%20on%20MLK&site=287&playerid=6918249996581&dfpid=32805352&dfpposition=Video_prestream_external%C2%A7ion=home

by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 11:08 AM
Uhhhh....uhmmm....yeah. That's not ok. Although it does sound delicious and now I'm hungry. Are there really people still out there who aren't aware of these cultural insensitivities? And no one around them is aware of them, either? I'm glad she quickly took it down once she was made aware that it wasn't so much "playful" as it was hurtful.
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 2:53 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting Luvnlogic:

Are there really people still out there who aren't aware of these cultural insensitivities?

There are lots of people who don't care about being what they term "politically correct".

Personally, I call it "politeness".

Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this
That's a sad truth. And I agree. The term PC has been weaponized and lobbed at decent, kind people who are trying their best to be as inclusive and inoffensive as possible. It's the extremes at either end ruining what should be something easy to agree upon, once again.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting Luvnlogic: Are there really people still out there who aren't aware of these cultural insensitivities?

There are lots of people who don't care about being what they term "politically correct".

Radarma
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Like you all give a shit.

couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Jan. 18, 2017 at 5:53 PM
3 moms liked this
I do.
You dont.

Quoting Radarma: Like you all give a shit.

Radarma
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:09 PM
MLK shootings? Go gather your troops!

Quoting couture-mommy: *You're

Drinking again?

Quoting Radarma: Your own worst enemies.

3prayers
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:15 PM
4 moms liked this
I think this is a great example of "white privilege". While it's tough to believe, this woman didn't seem to be trying to make some racist statement.
Normally I would question the motives of anyone claiming not to be aware that that was racially insensitive, but this woman was attempting to increase business, not alienate people.
It means this is an issue she's never had to give much thought to.
3prayers
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:18 PM
3 moms liked this
haha, things poofing already?
Just for the record, I'd much rather you be a "catfish" than the option that she's actually for real.

Quoting couture-mommy: I do.
You dont.

Quoting Radarma: Like you all give a shit.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Luvnlogic: Uhhhh....uhmmm....yeah. That's not ok. Although it does sound delicious and now I'm hungry. Are there really people still out there who aren't aware of these cultural insensitivities? And no one around them is aware of them, either? I'm glad she quickly took it down once she was made aware that it wasn't so much "playful" as it was hurtful.

They don't care. They elected a man who takes not caring about anyone but himself to a whole new stratosphere.

Making America great again, doncha know?

LGAll65
by on Jan. 18, 2017 at 6:25 PM
Exactly.

Quoting Luvnlogic: That's a sad truth. And I agree. The term PC has been weaponized and lobbed at decent, kind people who are trying their best to be as inclusive and inoffensive as possible. It's the extremes at either end ruining what should be something easy to agree upon, once again.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting Luvnlogic: Are there really people still out there who aren't aware of these cultural insensitivities?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)