Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MN House Committee Approves Bill that Would Charge Protesters

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 6:22 AM
  • 18 Replies
ST. PAUL (AP) – A Minnesota House committee has approved a bill that would charge protesters for law enforcement costs associated with disruptive demonstrations.

The House Civil Law Committee passed the bill 6-3, amid outcry from critics who say it could be used to silence dissent.

Citizens at Tuesday’s hearing shouted “Shame, shame!” after the vote, prompting lawmakers to walk out without taking up a second measure.

The bill was proposed by Republican Representative Nick Nerwas of Elk River, who said local law enforcement has spent $2.5 million dealing with protests in the last 18 months. The bill would allow authorities to sue protesters to recover some of the costs.

The bill goes on to the House Public Safety Committee.

http://www.fox21online.com/2017/01/24/mn-house-committee-approves-bill-charge-protesters/
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 6:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crochetnewb
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 6:26 AM
So protestors should be able tk continue tearing shit up and not get charged? Maybe they should try peaceful protests and stop destroying their town. It makes sense to me charge the people that tore everything up for the police time and for clean up.
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 6:37 AM
4 moms liked this
this is shame indeed. if people do something illegal, they can get charged, and if convicted, they can pay restitution. otherwise law enforcement already gets paid for keeping the peace and that includes at a protest. what do they think their job is anyway? this was floated to make sure that people have to pay money in order to organize a protest. that would silence people! it's unconstitutional!
Debmomto2teens
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 6:39 AM
1 mom liked this

And so begins a shift from democracy to communism. 

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 6:39 AM
1 mom liked this
if people destroy property there are laws already to have people pay restitution. they are wanting to charge people to gather. they are trying to silence free speech.

Quoting crochetnewb: So protestors should be able tk continue tearing shit up and not get charged? Maybe they should try peaceful protests and stop destroying their town. It makes sense to me charge the people that tore everything up for the police time and for clean up.
crochetnewb
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 6:46 AM
Are we reading the same article? I saw nothing about peaceful protests being charged. If the police force is in one oart of the city trying to curb violent protests they arent protecting the rest of the city.

Quoting stacymomof2: if people destroy property there are laws already to have people pay restitution. they are wanting to charge people to gather. they are trying to silence free speech.

Quoting crochetnewb: So protestors should be able tk continue tearing shit up and not get charged? Maybe they should try peaceful protests and stop destroying their town. It makes sense to me charge the people that tore everything up for the police time and for clean up.
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 6:53 AM
By the way this guy doesn't even represent the districts who pay the price. the reps of those districts are not in favor of it. this guy is from a remote "suburb" that isn't even really a suburb...it's an hour away from Minneapolis, Saint Paul and Blooming ton. ..the cities that make up the metro area where all the costs are carried. why is he putting a bill and using statistics from Minneapolis and St paul? his district doesn't pay for minneapolis police.
this is appalling. I'm glad they got shouted down and luckily the state Senate probably will not even look at it. and the chances of the governor signin it are remote at best.hopefully it won't go any further than the committee.
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 6:58 AM
there are already laws in place for illegal actions. you can't charge protesters for the cost of having to have police there! all this will do is give police no incentive not to escalate interactions with protesters.

Quoting crochetnewb: Are we reading the same article? I saw nothing about peaceful protests being charged. If the police force is in one oart of the city trying to curb violent protests they arent protecting the rest of the city.

Quoting stacymomof2: if people destroy property there are laws already to have people pay restitution. they are wanting to charge people to gather. they are trying to silence free speech.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:03 AM
That's crazy that this guy is trying to manipulate and Control a district he doesn't even represent.

It is frightening how folks don't see the fascist power grab taking place by a minority group that doesn't represent the majority.

Like I said after the election results. This never ends well.

Quoting stacymomof2: there are already laws in place for illegal actions. you can't charge protesters for the cost of having to have police there! all this will do is give police no incentive not to escalate interactions with protesters.
Quoting crochetnewb: Are we reading the same article? I saw nothing about peaceful protests being charged. If the police force is in one oart of the city trying to curb violent protests they arent protecting the rest of the city.

amandajean78
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:11 AM
1 mom liked this
People who live in suburbs of Minneapolis often drive into the city to work, or shop, or use facilities such as hospitals. When protesters are BLOCKING the freeways, people cannot get to their jobs, and or the hospital.
This has been a problem in Minnesota for months.
They should be charged.
I have nothing against nondestructive or nondisruptive protest, but when one group's protest keeps a person from supporting their family, or EMTs from saving a live, things need to be done.
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 7:26 AM
Yep, ridiculous. since I live here I know how far his district is from Minneapolis and St paul. he's putting his nose in where it doesn't belong...he's a republican of course and is feeding his constituents beliefs that "the cities" are filled with out of control black people and white liberals out to wreck havoc and take their money. if the local reps don't support this, and it's their police force, why is he even talking about it? he's feeding the frenzy. maybe his area should address it's problems with meth and crack and poverty and low employment instead of worrying about how the city of minneapolis spends it's police budget. that area is a mess, and Elk River and Big Lake are well known for their own problems. fucking dough head.

Quoting NWP: That's crazy that this guy is trying to manipulate and Control a district he doesn't even represent.

It is frightening how folks don't see the fascist power grab taking place by a minority group that doesn't represent the majority.

Like I said after the election results. This never ends well.

Quoting stacymomof2: there are already laws in place for illegal actions. you can't charge protesters for the cost of having to have police there! all this will do is give police no incentive not to escalate interactions with protesters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)