• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dan Rather comes out of retirement to go after Trump....

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:43 PM
  • 33 Replies
4 moms liked this

Respected news icon Dan Rather launched a Facebook page to counter the lies and “alternative facts” from Donald Trump. As with so many of us, he had enough of the garbage from Trump and the news media.

The Facebook page, “News and Guts,” will report honest, hard-hitting news. The media needs to follow Rather’s lead and begin telling the truth and not repeating the lies from the Trump Administration.

In just a few weeks, the page has over 350 thousand followers. These are people who can no longer take the reporting of lies and “alternate facts” as news.

Rather wants the page to be “a little more free-wheeling” than his personal page. It encourages a two-way street of thoughts and articles that followers want to see covered.

This truthful journalism is welcome by all. With Trump wanting to control what the media reports, and many going along with him, “News and Guts” will be a source for the truth.

For sure, it will not be one of Trump’s selected news sources. And it will not cower under Trump’s threats.

There are many warnings from journalistic professionals on Trump’s handling of the media. And some of his closest advisers want him to close access to those who criticize him.

The First Amendment of the Constitution protects freedom of the press. Trump’s actions to control the media are unconstitutional, contrary to the oath of office that he took, and criminal.

There are other media outlets who will sometimes fairly report the news. Both The New York Times and CNN called Trump a liar about the size of his inaugural crowds and the absurd claim that he lost the popular vote because of voter fraud.

The media must stand up to Trump and accurately report the news. Those who choose to confirm the lies of Donald Trump can be punished by not supporting advertisers and turning them off. Also, letters to advertisers do wonders.

Please share this story on Facebook!

by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:51 PM
3 moms liked this
I love love love Dan Rather!
Sundance8
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:00 PM
Me too. Just started following his page.
algorithmnation
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:00 PM

I'm following. He's a great writer.

BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:03 PM
Following now :). Thank you Mr. Rather for real journalism.
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:03 PM
3 moms liked this

The more Trump tries to control the media, the more you are going to see stuff like this. Some hard-hitting journalists are going to hand him his ass big time. 

jomami
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:04 PM

This is great and very much needed!

I've been following Dan Rather for a while and now I'm following News and Guts, too!

SuG4
by Sugar on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:06 PM
This is worth joining FB for!
Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Teen Vogue seems to have come out against Trump! 😂 Seriously, umm, Teen Vogue, lol! 😂 😈
trippyhippy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:42 PM
Yeah I liked it earlier today can't wait to see what they do with it.
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 3:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I felt a shudder down my spine yesterday watching Donald Trump's fusilade against the press. This is not a moment to be trifled with. It wasn't his first tirade and it won't be his last.

I was reminded of my college journalism professor, the late Hugh Cunningham, who would exhort his young charges in a thundering voice to "never let them scare you." It was his most important lesson. One of Edward R. Murrow's favorite words was "steady." That also bears repeating today.

This is a dirty, nasty election. And it is only going to get worse. The reporters in the trenches need no lecture from me. They are walking through daily minefields, bracing themselves against winds of discontent whose effects no one can predict.

I know what it is like to sit in those seats and feel the scorn and even wrath of politicians of all political persuasions. Attacking the press for unfair coverage has long been a bipartisan pursuit. Sometimes it works. I am happy to say that more often it doesn't. But Trump's brand of vituperation is particularly personal and vicious. It carries with it the drumbeats of threatening violence. It cannot be left unanswered.

This is not about politics or policy. It's about protecting our most cherished principles. The relationship between the press and the powerful they cover is by its very definition confrontational. That is how the Founding Fathers envisioned it, with noble clauses of protection enshrined in our Constitution.

Good journalism--the kind that matters--requires reporters who won't back up, back down, back away or turn around when faced with efforts to intimidate them. It also requires owners and other bosses with guts, who stand by and for their reporters when the heat is on.

I still believe the pen is mightier than the sword. And in these conflicted and troubled times, we should reward the bravery of the men and women not afraid to ask the hard questions of everyone in power. Our nation's future depends on it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)