Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obsolescence. *nad

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:30 PM
  • 155 Replies
2 moms liked this
I was watching a scary movie yesterday that featured a VCR in the plot. There was a line about his kids wouldn't watch it because they didn't know what the hell a VCR was. So anyway, got me thinking about items that used to be everywhere but are now mostly obsolete, at least in my neck o' the woods. When and where is the last time you saw any of these:

- a phone booth
- a standalone blue mailbox on a city street
- a rotary phone
- the aforementioned VCR
- a Walkman
- ice cube trays
- 1 hour film developing
- a movie rental store
- or heard "You've got mail"
- the sound of a dial up network
- or a dot matrix printer
- car door locks - the battery went out on my remote last year and it took me two phone calls and 20 minutes to figure out how to unlock the door. I never knew the remotes have a key inside them.

I know there's a million other little things that have just fallen by the wayside over the years that I have forgotten to note here so please feel free to add your own.
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4ofSpades
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:33 PM
2 moms liked this

answering machines

pagers

column shifters

window water coolers

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Not sure about the phone booth.  Stand alone mailbox...um two days ago when I drove through town.  We have them in a couple places.  My mom has a rotary phone on a book shelf.  We have a VCR sitting in the hallway...needs to find a new home.  A walkman...does a CD walkman count?  Last year when I cleaned out a box in storage.   Ice trays - in our travel trailer and at my parents cabin so two months ago.   Car door lock every day...my car door has a key lock as well as the fob.  

jomami
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

A beeper

A typewriter

SuG4
by brown sugar on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:39 PM
2 moms liked this
Blue mailboxes are still around. I still have my Walkman, and I use ice trays.
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow that's right, couldn't tell you the last time I saw an answering machine. I remember owning one in the 90s. What's a column shifter? Oh wait, a stick shift? I was just thinking about that yesterday. Saw a little sports car like the one my friend has and wondered if it was a standard.

Quoting 4ofSpades:

answering machines

pagers

column shifters

window water coolers

SuG4
by brown sugar on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:56 PM
What's wrong with a stick? Aren't they still around? Say it isn't so!

Quoting LauraKW: Wow that's right, couldn't tell you the last time I saw an answering machine. I remember owning one in the 90s. What's a column shifter? Oh wait, a stick shift? I was just thinking about that yesterday. Saw a little sports car like the one my friend has and wondered if it was a standard.

Quoting 4ofSpades:

answering machines

pagers

column shifters

window water coolers

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 26, 2017 at 10:57 PM
Where (in general) do you live? I see drop off boxes for FedEx and UPS but I couldn't tell you the last time I saw one of the mail drop boxes. Does your mother's rotary phone still work or is it kitschy decor? I got rid of our last VCR just before we bought this house, so going on 2 1/2 years. Not a cd Walkman, a real cassette tape Walkman. I tried to buy ice cube trays for my MIL a couple of months ago (don't ask). I only found one.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Not sure about the phone booth.  Stand alone mailbox...um two days ago when I drove through town.  We have them in a couple places.  My mom has a rotary phone on a book shelf.  We have a VCR sitting in the hallway...needs to find a new home.  A walkman...does a CD walkman count?  Last year when I cleaned out a box in storage.   Ice trays - in our travel trailer and at my parents cabin so two months ago.   Car door lock every day...my car door has a key lock as well as the fob.  

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
In 2005 the printer we used to fill out checks at work died. My CFO and I spent about 10 minutes just trying to figure out how to turn the typewriter on to manually type a check. It felt like we awakened a dinosaur.

Quoting jomami:

A beeper

A typewriter

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:02 PM
Wonder if the blue mailboxes are a regional thing? Or have I in all my self-centeredness not noticed them around? Either is quite likely. Kudos to you on the Walkman. That thing will probably last forever.

Quoting SuG4: Blue mailboxes are still around. I still have my Walkman, and I use ice trays.
LGAll65
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a VCR --it works and i watch old VCR tapes on it. :)

There's a blue stand alone mailbox nearby

Ice cube trays

RedBox ( movie rentals)

I have AOL--" you've got mail"
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)