Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hijab-wearing student who concocted hate crime hoax after Trump election won’t face charges

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:47 AM
  • 1 Replies

So I searched for the original thread about this story. I remember very well that it was pages and pages of outrage over racist, Islamophobic Trump supporters.

I'm pretty sure it was deleted by the OP after it was found to be a faked hate crime and this thread was posted:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/99198/forums/read/21473322/Ann_Arbor_police_Womans_story_about_being_forced_to_remove_hijab_did_not_occur?next=1

Now we find out liar won't even be charged for creating a hate crime hoax.

The first incident, which took place on Nov. 11, involved a student who reported being approached by a man who demanded she remove her hijab or he would set her on fire. It was later determined, citing several discrepancies between eyewitness testimonies and surveillance tapes from the scene, the alleged crime did not occur. According to a press release from the AAPD, the student will not be prosecuted for the false report.

“Washtenaw County Prosecutor's office declined to authorize criminal charges,” Lt. Matthew Lige wrote in the press release email.

https://www.michigandaily.com/section/crime/aapd-releases-updates-three-reported-hate-crimes

Keep up your weird cheese, the cafe appreciates you. 
- Dar

by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
nononenever
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 10:07 AM
That really bothers me. When it can be shown, without doubt, that a false report has been filed then charges should be brought. There was huge social damage caused by these false claims, at a time when tensions were already high.

I'll caveat that a little - in cases of confirmed mental illness I don't think there should be charges.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)