Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O Personal Space -- Should teachers hug students?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:34 PM
  • 37 Replies

I'm sure it's been discussed before, but the post about personal space brought up an old question.  

How do you feel about teachers who allow students to give them hugs?  Who give hugs in return?  Does grade level matter?  Does it matter if it's the last day of school?  If the student is going through a hard time emotionally?  Does gender matter?  

Do you feel it's always appropriate/inappropriate?  Why or why not?  When you were in school, were there ever teachers you were close with?  Did you ever hug them?  Even in elementary school?  

If you work in education, do your students hug you?  

by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.KitKat
and so the count down begins...
Yesterday at 4:43 PM
Ed Sheeran Autumn Leaves lyrics (2).mp4

Ed Sheeran ED SHEERAN ed sheeran Ed sheeran ed Sheeran

by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:43 PM
3 moms liked this

I think it depends on grade/age as well as gender and circumstances.

I think younger grades/ages need that physical connection since younger students tend to see their teachers as an extension of their parents.I feel though the child should initiate the hug and not the teacher unless the student is in clear distress emotionally/physically at which point a hug or holding would be appropriate.

I recall my teachers hugging me but more so as a younger student. In HS my favorite teachers and I would hug like the last day of school kind of thing.

I am a  social worker and I will hug (some of) my clients; for some it comes naturally and they will initiate or other times I will ask if they need a hug.But oftentimes this comes at the end of a really stressful process. 

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have an issue with a teacher giving the Christian side hug to students who initiate hugs.  

When I went to school the student/teacher relationship was much different.  There was less emotional support given then what seems to be needed/given today.  

I volunteer in school about 20+ hours a week. It is not unusual for students (primarily girls) to run up and initiate a hug.  My general response (which is in line with the district rules) is to either give them a quick little side hug back or pat them on the head/shoulder.  

autumn129
by AutumLeaves on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:58 PM
Pat on head or shoulder would be ok.
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:59 PM
I think if child initiated it ia not a big deal
trippyhippy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 2:31 PM
I think it's great
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:16 PM
I wouldn't have a problem if my kids hugged. And I wouldn't have a problem if the teacher hugged.
stykir
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:23 PM
I really love seeing this actually. When i was in college and doing some student teaching, I was told right off the bat by my instructor do not touch the kids or even be close with them. By the end of my time there some of the kids came up to hug me and say goodbye. I awkwardly patted their shoulders and my supervising teacher told me not to be afraid to hug them especially if they initiate it. They are loving children who trusted me and just wanted to hug me, and that it was ok.

Yesterday I saw a child at my kids' school hug a teacher as they were getting on the bus. They spend so much time with our kids and they bond a lot. I think it shows the kids their teacher cares about them more than just their grades.

Could be inappropriate if they're being secretive or selective about it, but openly being affectionate toward their students I don't see as a bad thing
coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:34 PM
I don't have an issue with it but I'm a hugger.
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:36 PM
Hugs are fine as DS school and im okay with it. I think its good for young children to have tender interactions with their caregivers.
Trixie-n-Moon
by Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:37 PM
I have no problem with hugs as long as both the student and teacher are comfortable with it. Even older kids need a hug sometimes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)