Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Andrew Puzder, Trump's labor secretary pick, withdraws from consideration

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 3:51 PM
KK
  • 10 Replies

Andrew Puzder, Trump's labor secretary pick, withdraws from consideration

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/15/andrew-puzder-withdraws-labor-secretary-nomination

Puzder, who was due to meet lawmakers on Thursday, faced concerns from Republicans over his personal background and business record

Andrew Puzder, Donald Trump’s controversial choice to run the Department of Labor, has withdrawn his nomination in the wake of mounting resistance from Republicans concerned with his personal background and business record.

Puzder was under pressure over questions stemming from his byzantine business interests, details about his acrimonious divorce and revelations that he employed an undocumented immigrant as a housekeeper.

After a series of delays, Puzder, the CEO of CKE Restaurants, the billion-dollar parent company of the fast food chains Carl’s Jr and Hardee’s, was due to appear before the Senate health, education, labor and pensions committee on Thursday.

However, in a statement issued on Wednesday afternoon he said he was withdrawing his nomination, according to the Associated Press.

The move is another stinging setback for the new president, whose political party holds the power in both chambers and could easily have approved the nominee on a party line vote in the Senate.

And it comes less than 48 hours after national security adviser Michael Flynn was forced to resign after making misleading statements about conversations with the Russian ambassador, amid an ongoing scandal over Russian influence enveloping the White House.

Capitol Hill Republicans said they were blindsided. Senator John Barrasso told reporters only minutes before it happened that all he heard was what he described as “the CNN thing”.

The Wyoming Republican said he had not heard from any of his colleagues who wanted Puzder to withdraw and reiterated his support for the fast food CEO.

“I support him,” said Barrasso. “I was on the platform committee with him at the convention. He was one of the members, I was the chair. I support him.”

The White House did not immediately return a request for comment.

Signs Puzder’s nomination was imperiled began to show in recent weeks as a number of Republican senators withheld immediate their support for him. on Thursday, the conservative magazine, the National Review, published an editorial titled “No to Puzder”. 
The magazine railed against Puzder’s support for “comprehensive immigration reform” and argued that in light of the series of unflattering revelations “his case for his confirmation has diminished to the point of disappearing”.

Among the revelations were resurfaced reports that that Puzder’s ex-wife, Lisa Fierstein, alleged in divorce filings from nearly three decades ago that he had abuse her on multiple occasions in the 1980s. Puzder has denied the allegations.

After their divorce, Fierstein appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show to discuss her experience with domestic violence. Winfrey recently provided senators on the committee the video in which Fierstein, wearing a wig and glasses, discusses the allegations.

On Wednesday, Patty Murray, the top Democrat on the committee, said she was “deeply disturbed’ by what she said in the video.

A spokesman for Puzder denied the allegations and said the revelations were part of a smear campaign against the restaurant executive. He added that Fierstein “regretted” her decision to appear on the show.

“Perpetuating these retracted 30-year-old allegations and an impulsive decision to appear on a talk show is nothing more than a desperate attempt to tarnish Andy Puzder at the expense of Lisa and their family,” said the spokesman, George Thompson in an email.

Puzder drew the ire of Democrats unions and labor groups for his opposition to raising the minimum wage and his commentary on workers.

Activists protested his nomination at fast food restaurants around the country. In Washington, Democrats invited former employees to testify against their former boss and held press conferences denouncing his positions on labor issues.

Under his leadership, CKE Restaurants ran highly sexualized advertising campaigns that were denounced as sexist and demeaning. 

“We believe in putting hot models in our commercials because ugly ones don’t sell burgers,” Puzder wrote in a 2011 press release defending the company’s racy advertisement. “We target hungry guys, and we get young kids that want to be young hungry guys.”

“A corporate culture grounded in objectifying women has no place in our government—or for that matter, the 21st Century,” Murray said during a press conference on Wednesday. “Whatever President Trump and Andrew Puzder might wish was the case, women, who now make up nearly half of our country’s workforce, are at work, getting degrees, running businesses, and they deserve respect and dignity.”

by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pdxmum
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 3:52 PM

I work in human resources trying to balance employment law and worker's rights and the needs of my business.

This is the best news I have heard in awhile.

Thanks.

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Are the group conservatives all hiding in the basement these days?  

CraziestTexan39
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:27 PM
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
Eva.Destruction
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this
What hypocrites. They supported Trump when he admitted to sexually assaulting women. They support Trump when he is favoring a country that just made beating your wife legal. NOW wife beating is a problem?
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like a, in Trump's words, "Bad Hombre".

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:51 PM
This is good news; really wasn't the right choice for the position (or really any position)
jpickens
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:56 PM
Thank the good lord!!!! His restaurants are ratchet and the employees are treated that way.

I wouldn't want to get involved in that clusterfuck either. So good for all involved.
jpickens
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Omg. The way that company treats employees, I wouldn't wish that on anyone who works in HR.

I am relieved he backed out.

Quoting pdxmum:

I work in human resources trying to balance employment law and worker's rights and the needs of my business.

Thanks.

pdxmum
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 5:26 PM

They are sticking to their echo chamber groups where they just keep telling each other how great trump is and that he is draining the swamp and there is no proof of collusion with russia and muslims are bad and protesters are terrorists.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

Are the group conservatives all hiding in the basement these days?  

GloriousChaos
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree.

I wish DeVos was in the bucket as well. Wonder if she found the pencils

Quoting pdxmum:

Thanks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)