Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

One Very Crazy Year at Uber....the reality of sexual harassment in the workplace

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:50 AM
  • 7 Replies

This is a blog from someone who worked at Uber corporate for a year before realizing the environment was not one she could tolerate due to ignored sexual harassment from higher ups. It's really quite a disturbing read and just illustrates how far we still need to go to get sexual harassment properly recognized and dealt with in the business world. 

https://www.susanjfowler.com/blog/2017/2/19/reflecting-on-one-very-strange-year-at-uber

by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:27 AM
This is why I marched.

We live in a society that perpetuates the myth that women should feel grateful that they are hit on and advanced in by men. We can't even walk down a city street without getting cat calls. It's sad and disgusting. Especially when you can't go to work and feel safe.
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:29 AM

Exactly. The workplace should be exempt from this kind of harassment, and anyone who engages in it should never be protected. They should immediatley be rejected and removed from their position. 

Quoting BluesPagan2.0: This is why I marched. We live in a society that perpetuates the myth that women should feel grateful that they are hit on and advanced in by men. We can't even walk down a city street without getting cat calls. It's sad and disgusting. Especially when you can't go to work and feel safe.

AdrianneHill
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 4:15 PM
Stories like this keep me cynical
lizzielouaf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Eh, she should have just left Uber earlier. At least I think that is the officially endorsed presidential response to sexual harassment.
oddgirl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 8:07 PM

My dh sent me this link a couple of days ago and we had an interesting discussion about it. 

My feeling was she did all the right things but the company obviously did not care to address the situation.  DH's feeling was that she should have gotten a lawyer involved. I told him that's a good way for a woman to ruin her career, becoming "that woman who sued Uber over sexual harrassment."  He said that she had all the experience and credentials to overcome that - speaking engagements, published work in her field, etc. I told him it doesn't work that way for women. Also, lawsuits are costly and take up a lot of time. 

All I know now is I refuse to use Uber. 

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Feb. 21, 2017 at 9:19 PM

Quoting oddgirl:

My dh sent me this link a couple of days ago and we had an interesting discussion about it. 

My feeling was she did all the right things but the company obviously did not care to address the situation.  DH's feeling was that she should have gotten a lawyer involved. I told him that's a good way for a woman to ruin her career, becoming "that woman who sued Uber over sexual harrassment."  He said that she had all the experience and credentials to overcome that - speaking engagements, published work in her field, etc. I told him it doesn't work that way for women. Also, lawsuits are costly and take up a lot of time. 

Amen to the part in red. So true, and men will never understand that. 

I was already pissed at Uber over the airport nonsense in NY. This just adds to my list of reasons why I will not use them ever. 

BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:21 PM
Exactly. Once you are labeled "that" woman all your credentials and experience go or the window. You caused issues and rocked the boat. That is what you carry with uoubas a woman.

Quoting oddgirl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)