Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen accused of stabbing twin brother being charged as an adult

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 4:57 PM
  • 37 Replies

Quote:

COULEE CITY, Wash. – The Coulee City teenager killed early Sunday morning was preparing for fatherhood, according to his girlfriend's family. 

Seventeen-year-old Shane Wachter was stabbed and succumbed to his injuries in the hospital. His twin brother, Shawn Wachter, is accused of the stabbing and is under investigation for manslaughter and assault - domestic violence. Shawn Wachter is expected to appear in court at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. Court staff said Tuesday that Shawn will be charged as an adult. 

Family of Wachter’s girlfriend, Haylee Hayduk, said the couple is expecting a baby girl. Hayduk’s family released the following the statement:

“Our daughter Haylee Hayduk would like to extend her sincere gratitude and thanks along with the rest of our family to everyone for their love and support during this very difficult time. Due to the importance of our daughter’s health and for Shane and Haylee’s unborn daughter, Violet Grace, we are asking that everyone please remember to give Haylee the space and added prayers that she will be needing during this extremely sad and difficult time.

We also ask that you keep Shane’s entire family in your prayers. Shane’s mother, Annette, is deeply saddened and is struggling with the loss of her son Shane and the situation regarding Shawn. Please continue to pray for Annette, Brian, the kids, Grandmother and Aunt, along with cousins and close family and friends in Coulee City and the surrounding areas. God Bless you all…and thank you for all of your continued support and prayer.”  

(© 2017 KREM)

How do you feel about teens being charged as adults?

by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tiffluv81
by Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

they need to.. That's all

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 21, 2017 at 5:02 PM

Quoting tiffluv81:

I agree that he should be tried as an adult.

I'm curious as to how quickly this happened, without a decline hearing or much else.  I'm thinking the circumstances came in to play.

Do you feel this way over all or is it a case by case basis type thing?

DensHag
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 5:04 PM
2 moms liked this
It's always done on a case by case basis. They do a special hearing and past criminal history and other circumstances come into play to determine if the kid is appropriate to be tried as an adult.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting tiffluv81:

I'm curious as to how quickly this happened, without a decline hearing or much else.  I'm thinking the circumstances came in to play.

cellomom26
by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 5:04 PM
Wow, how tragic. I would wish that twins would have a special bond, but I guess it doesn't always happen. Of course he should be charged as an adult. Their poor mom.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 21, 2017 at 5:05 PM

Quoting DensHag: It's always done on a case by case basis. They do a special hearing and past criminal history and other circumstances come into play to determine if the kid is appropriate to be tried as an adult.
Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting tiffluv81:

I realize it is a case by case basis.  I am also aware of the procedures.  My daughter's case, the defendant is being tried as an adult....

I was speaking as an overall opinion............ it seems, reading else where, some people feel no one under the age of 18 should be tried as an adult for any reason while others hold a different view point.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 21, 2017 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting cellomom26: Wow, how tragic. I would wish that twins would have a special bond, but I guess it doesn't always happen. Of course he should be charged as an adult. Their poor mom.

From what friends are saying, they were very close.  

We know twins, who are 17.  When the news first broke they went with just that at first...........17 year old twin brothers, one kills the other.  My heart stopped for a minute until they stated the where.

bluefirewolf
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 5:09 PM

I honestly feel for all those involved, but the teen at 17, should be tried as an adult - those parents are living in hell right now

tiffluv81
by Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Depending on the crime. Anything murderous not n self defense under 18 need to be tried as an adult(or cause serious injury)

I worked for the State Home of Texas, I had an 8 and 10 year old brother and sister in the units. They killed the 3 year old and burried him in the back yard.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting tiffluv81:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 21, 2017 at 5:11 PM

Quoting tiffluv81:

Depending on the crime. Anything murderous not n self defense under 18 need to be tried as an adult(or cause serious injury)

I worked for the State Home of Texas, I had an 8 and 10 year old brother and sister in the units. They killed the 3 year old and burried him in the back yard.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting tiffluv81:

Oh dear God.  I can't even imagine........................

I think I need to go cry for a minute.

diaperstodating
by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 5:14 PM

Quoting cellomom26: Wow, how tragic. I would wish that twins would have a special bond, but I guess it doesn't always happen. Of course he should be charged as an adult. Their poor mom.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)