Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Motive makes it political the level a violence/damage/scare makes it terror

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:29 PM
  • 6 Replies

I am really over this argument with someone on my facebook.  What say you?

ETA I guess I am too tired and failed to be clear about what I mean.  I apologize.  He believes that the squashed terror attack planned for targets was not in fact terrorism.  I hold that it is terrorism.  That the action defines not the motive,  The motive makes it political or hate crimes for instance.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:43 PM

What?

lol

survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this

A :)  Nice to see you.  Sorry, He says that this idiot with the bombs for target is not terrorist.  I posted a meme about trump not acknowledging the domestic terror issue and he is arguing with me that motive matters.

I say terror is terror whether it is politically motivated or not.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

What?

lol

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

UnoDuoTres
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 2:39 AM

In todays world, generally not liking the ethnic or political group of the perpetrator makes it terrorism. Otherwise the same actions are often called "mental illness", "murder", "resistance" and so on.

It has morphed to that definition because if the dictionaryy definition were used, then there are various governments that would be guilty of widescale terrorism. Russia, the UK, Saudi Arabia, Israel and the USA among them.

BluesPagan2.0
by IWantTacos on Feb. 22, 2017 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this
If you are terrorizing a person or people then it is an act of terrorism despite the motive for the actions.
Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Hmm...that's a tricky one. I'd say "terrorism" is something meant to cause widespread harm and fear, regardless of the core motivation. Otherwise any violent criminal could be called a terrorist since their victims would most definitely be in terror during the crime.
survivorinohio
by René on Feb. 22, 2017 at 8:43 AM

Quoting UnoDuoTres:

In todays world, generally not liking the ethnic or political group of the perpetrator makes it terrorism. Otherwise the same actions are often called "mental illness", "murder", "resistance" and so on.

It has morphed to that definition because if the dictionaryy definition were used, then there are various governments that would be guilty of widescale terrorism. Russia, the UK, Saudi Arabia, Israel and the USA among them.

I agree that the actions of governments could be called terror.

ETA I think though that  war makes allowances for some of these behaviors however I would still call the shock and awe bombing campaign terror.  How terrifying that must have been.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)