Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trump Voter Shocked To Find That Her Meals On Wheels Could Be Cut

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:24 PM
  • 296 Replies
2 moms liked this

Trump Voter Shocked To Find That Her Meals On Wheels Could Be Cut

“I was under the influence that he was going to help us.”

Linda Preast has used a wheelchair since she had a stroke two years ago and now relies on Meals on Wheels, a service that provides food to millions of people with disabilities and the elderly. The 56-year-old Georgia resident never envisioned when she voted for President Donald Trump that he’d propose slashing funding for the programs.

“Are you surprised?” CBS News correspondent Michelle Miller asked Preast at her home in Jones County Saturday.

“Yeah,” Preast said. “Because he was told ― I was under the influence that he was going to help us.”

On Thursday, White House Budget Director Mick Mulvaney attacked the service, saying programs like Meals on Wheels “are just not showing any results.”

“We can’t do that anymore,” Mulvaney said. “We can’t spend money on programs just because they sound good. And Meals on Wheels sounds great.”

The statements followed the Trump administration’s recent budget proposal, which would give $54 billion to the U.S. military while decimating funding for federal programs including the Environmental Protection Agency, the State Department and the Education Department.

Jenny Bertolette, vice president of communications for Meals on Wheels America, told The Huffington Post that the program is already struggling to meet the needs of the hungry.

“The scary thing about that is that funding is already not keeping up with pace,” Bertolette said. “There are already demands that we can’t meet. There is already a waitlist crisis...  If this budget was enacted, it would obviously just make matters so much worse.”

Bertolette said since Mulvaney’s comments, Meals on Wheels has seen a 500 percent increase in volunteers and a 50 percent increase in online donations.

“What would you say to him to convince him not to cut this program?” Miller asked Preast.

“What if it was your momma?” Preast said.

by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joyfree
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:25 PM
3 moms liked this

sarcasm

bluefirewolf
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:27 PM
17 moms liked this

I wish these things only affected trump supporters - she voted for him - she gets what she deserves

ReadWriteLuv
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:34 PM
12 moms liked this
I'd like to meet this woman and ask her why she was ever under the impression that Trump was going to help her?
SeanandNoahsmom
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2017 at 12:15 AM
5 moms liked this
I just hope that private donations will continue to pour in, to provide for the people who really need this indispensable service. I honestly don't think Trump cares whether some people do without.
IndigoStarlight
by on Mar. 19, 2017 at 12:32 AM
13 moms liked this

What can you expect from King Trump, The Coarse And Classless Disgrace, but betrayal???...  Did you expect understanding, kindness or compassion from the man who is treating the American people like a business that isn't performing up to snuff???...  

He sits in his plush office, his golden palaces and signs orders that will smash the lives of millions of people, then goes and plays golf on the forced dollars of those very millions of people he's destroying.  

Do you know your history???...  What happens when The People are vehemently and justly angry at their leaders???...  Think of Marie Antoinette when The People begged for bread and she is reported to have said, - "They have no bread?  Then, let them eat cake!!!" =  Queen Minus Head...

Something is going to be majorly, oh, very majorly shaken up in the Future, it's easy to see. 

MissAndree
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2017 at 12:34 AM
16 moms liked this

I would like to have some sympathy for people who literally asked for this, but I am finding it difficult. 

BUT HER EMAILS!!!!!!

SunFlower700
by Member on Mar. 19, 2017 at 12:47 AM
10 moms liked this

Three weeks ago, I was watching Nightline and they were interviewing this man in Kentucky who voted for Trump.  This guy was a coal miner and has black lung disease. When he heard his Medicaid was being cut and he will no longer be able to afford that oxygen tank that is helping to keep him alive, he was literally in tears.  Stressed out and crying.  Hard to feel sorry for someone when that's what they voted for. 

MissAndree
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2017 at 12:49 AM
7 moms liked this

I live here in coal country, and let me tell you, I am surrounded by people who claimed that they wanted everything he promised. There is a lot of crying going on right now. Rivers of tears. 

Quoting SunFlower700:

Three weeks ago, I was watching Nightline and they were interviewing this man in Kentucky who voted for Trump.  This guy was a coal miner and has black lung disease. When he heard his Medicaid was being cut and he will no longer be able to afford that oxygen tank that is helping to keep him alive, he was literally in tears.  Stressed out and crying.  Hard to feel sorry for someone when that's what they voted for. 

SunFlower700
by Member on Mar. 19, 2017 at 12:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I can imagine.  I just watch the U.S. events from the sidelines.  I'm in Canada but live near a border town so get majority U.S. stations on tv.  

Quoting MissAndree:

I live here in coal country, and let me tell you, I am surrounded by people who claimed that they wanted everything he promised. There is a lot of crying going on right now. Rivers of tears. 

Quoting SunFlower700:

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2017 at 12:58 AM
27 moms liked this
When he said he was going to cut off all of those who were unworthy and bleeding the system, trump voters made two columns listing all Americans and put their names in the "entirely worthy" section. It never occurred to them, that beyond their vote, trump saw them as disposable at best and that they were just as worthless as anyone who lived that close to the poverty line. I think they thought their color or religious preferences would save them
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)