Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trump Voter Shocked To Find That Her Meals On Wheels Could Be Cut

Posted by   + Show Post

Trump Voter Shocked To Find That Her Meals On Wheels Could Be Cut

“I was under the influence that he was going to help us.”

Linda Preast has used a wheelchair since she had a stroke two years ago and now relies on Meals on Wheels, a service that provides food to millions of people with disabilities and the elderly. The 56-year-old Georgia resident never envisioned when she voted for President Donald Trump that he’d propose slashing funding for the programs.

“Are you surprised?” CBS News correspondent Michelle Miller asked Preast at her home in Jones County Saturday.

“Yeah,” Preast said. “Because he was told ― I was under the influence that he was going to help us.”

On Thursday, White House Budget Director Mick Mulvaney attacked the service, saying programs like Meals on Wheels “are just not showing any results.”

“We can’t do that anymore,” Mulvaney said. “We can’t spend money on programs just because they sound good. And Meals on Wheels sounds great.”

The statements followed the Trump administration’s recent budget proposal, which would give $54 billion to the U.S. military while decimating funding for federal programs including the Environmental Protection Agency, the State Department and the Education Department.

Jenny Bertolette, vice president of communications for Meals on Wheels America, told The Huffington Post that the program is already struggling to meet the needs of the hungry.

“The scary thing about that is that funding is already not keeping up with pace,” Bertolette said. “There are already demands that we can’t meet. There is already a waitlist crisis...  If this budget was enacted, it would obviously just make matters so much worse.”

Bertolette said since Mulvaney’s comments, Meals on Wheels has seen a 500 percent increase in volunteers and a 50 percent increase in online donations.

“What would you say to him to convince him not to cut this program?” Miller asked Preast.

“What if it was your momma?” Preast said.

by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:24 PM
Replies (281-289):
SuG4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 1:37 AM
1 mom liked this
As I said earlier, I wasn't happy with her behavior. And I absolutely believe that Trump is crass. His treatment of Meghan Kelly, claiming that she was bleeding from every hole was the nastiest thing anyone of fame could say about a woman!! His popularity was based on that damn wall, and his stance on illegal immigrants. He was endorsed by far right racists! I could go on about how unreal this whole thing is!
And yet.... the very people who love him will get such a rude awakening when they find that their health care will be unaffordable!
I'm rambling now.....,

Quoting PPCLC:

It was almost surreal (IMO) to watch as all of the other Republican candidates were taken down by Donald Trump, who has this rude, crass, belligerent....I could keep going here...manner of speaking. :/

For many who DID clue in and who DID take the time to educate themselves (and I am more than aware that many of them looked the other way on things but not all did) were impressed by Trump's speaking style and his "tell it like it is" demeanor. These other candidates were bulldozed by him. Unreal and was like watching a horrifying traffic accident unfold very, very slowly in front of you.

Also tells the story of how many Americans who again, WERE clued in,  are feeling and thinking, and for whatever their reasons may be, are supporting someone the likes of we've not seen in this country as POTUS.

Still, and I realize this is the unpopular way of thinking apparently, I do not feel they "deserve" what they may very receive should Trump's budget proposal become fact.

HRC...the die was cast there and especially with the now infamous email scandals and fingers pointing to corruption.

Quoting SuG4: HRC did herself in, in some respects, but it wouldn't have mattered to the republicans who was on the other side. That's fair! But the republicans had so many better choices, I think. But they were too tame! Trump spoke to many on the right who were pissed for 8 years for what? Every fear of this "different" president that the right wing media could throw at him!! That he was a Muslim. He was the Anti-Christ. He had a deep-seeded hatred for this country! That he was a follower of Saul Alinsky, and his pastor hated America!
And THEN, this man had the unmitigated gall to try and provide affordable health care for the masses!

Quoting PPCLC:

Without a doubt, politics in general and those running the show (our government both federal and some states) are receiving perks and such that they should not while other things are ignored or completely discarded.

There are many who voted for him and did so seeing HRC as another eight years of an Obama administration. Is that fair? Hard to tell and we'll not know, if ever. There are many who voted for him because they truly bought the MAGA slogan and were caught up in the rhetoric that THIS MAN could do better than any of the corrupt politicians in Washington. That he had been a businessman (success rate need not apply) so why not give him a shot? Many voted by playing....who knows...inka dink. Many voted without doing the research either because they didn't think it mattered or because they didn't have the means (apparently a hard concept to grasp).

But they voted for someone many of us believe, and it has becoming increasingly shown, is ill-fitted for the job of POTUS.

Are they about to get their just rewards with proposed cuts to programs like Meals on Wheels? Personally, I don't think so. We don't get to pick and choose WHO benefits from those programs based on whether or not we agree with their politics. We don't get to cast them off because they voted in a man they believed could do better than the alternative and many of us are pissed at them. 

The Republican party and particularly the right wing have wanted the West Wing back for eight years and some have been foaming at the mouth, even willing to accept someone the likes of Donald Trump as their fearless leader.

I will not point a finger personally at someone who voted for him and saying, "Well guess what toots? THIS is your fault and you are now screwed because you deserve certain losses for voting for Mister Tans Too Much." 

Quoting SuG4: I agree with some of what you're saying. Of course, no one should have to suffer for making a bad choice. Except that, that's exactly why some people voted for Trump! For 40 years, the right wing members of the country have been in a "hateful" mode toward those who, THEY think are lazy, baby-making bums, and criminals, who are "getting over", in this country, when they get entitlements, that they don't deserve!

Quoting PPCLC:

We'll have to agree to disagree then as there are many Trump voters who had no idea what was going on, unfortunately, but they're still afforded the same (Meals on Wheels would be an example) that the rest of us are if we need it. That they voted for him should not matter.

We're becoming a your side vs our side country, and it's doing nothing but perpetuate division. 

We're also becoming an apathetic country---many of us---when it comes to those who simply do not agree with us and in the issue of this past election and who is now our POTUS (for those who did pay attention), those who voted him in.

They're not cast-offs nor are they undeserving of the very things we are who are opposed to Trump, and his many proposals. If they're American citizens, no matter WHO they voted for, they're deserving of the same things you and I are.

Quoting bluefirewolf:

how educated do you have to be to know what it means if  the KKK and neonazi groups supported your choice of president?  Really?   All you have to do is know how to speak or understand English, that's it.  All you had to do was see people giving the nazi salute to this pig.  As far as I'm concerned it isn't even about a different position, or idea of how this country is run.  It's about a Hitler wanna be and NO I'm not going to unite with the shit-heads who voted for him - so you are right about that.

Quoting PPCLC:

Not ALL of them did this, though, and that seems to be something you're not understanding.

We will never come together as a united country until we stop laying blame, pointing fingers, and feeling as you do---that people who voted for this man "deserve" less than those of us who didn't vote for him. That they're deserving somehow of getting that shitty end of the stick because they just happen to not agree with us where he's concerned.

And again, there are many cats that HE did not let out of the bags until now, and after becoming our president. Too, some people simply did not understand all that he had done before they voted for him.

Should they have approached this from a far more educated position where he's concerned? Sure. But that would depend on the Donald Trump that was voted in and played into their desires and their fears, or the POTUS who's now letting us see that he really didn't know what the hell he was undertaking when he went after the position to begin with.

Quoting bluefirewolf:

that's bs if they watched the news or were on the internet or walking down the street -never mind about his past,  they heard about the KKK support, they listened to his speeches - they knew where he stood on Hispanics - that is such a load of shit - because if they listened to what he was saying - which obviously they did since they thought he was going to do all this good stuff and make America Great Again - then they heard the other things too - If they hated hilary what did they base it on? things that were said in the media, online, on tv.  They absolutely did know and are now acting innocent

Quoting PPCLC:

Then you're wrongly under the assumption that ALL of them did know these things.

So many were very desperate to not have HRC become our president that they "plugged their noses" (a favorite saying of many I've found who voted for him) when going to vote, opting instead to take their chances with Trump vs her.

Do not assume, however, that all of them were aware of all of his past bad deeds.

His failed businesses and even his sexist tendencies, while both (especially the latter) were a tell-tale sign of where he needed work as a person, were not reasons alone to not vote for him.

Quoting bluefirewolf:

because they knew the KKK supported him, they knew about his misogyny, they knew about his failed business, his racist and Islamophobic ideology - they knew it and still voted for this turd - they are getting every fucking thing they deserve - everything.  The only people I feel sorry is for the rest of us that are paying because of their fucking stupidity, selfishness, and racism.

Quoting PPCLC:

So many of them have been duped by the man during his campaigning and I think it's unfair when it's suggested that they are "getting what they deserve."

How do they actually deserve this when the man is found to go to the polar opposite of his campaign promises more times than not?

How does ANYONE "deserve" this sort of thing?

PPCLC
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 1:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm curious if there are stats on the percentage of people who did vote for him that now regret it?

Or were so many of them so desperate to not have HER that they did what my own Mom did, and "plug their nose" while voting for him? 

IOW, I don't think the reason for voting for him is a cut and dry thing for many who did. They all had their own reasons.

You're not rambling when you consider there's so much to this CF to be practically amazed (and not in a good way) by. I think many of us are still unable to remove our mouths from the floor and primarily because every day is a new reason to keep those mouths there. :/

Quoting SuG4: As I said earlier, I wasn't happy with her behavior. And I absolutely believe that Trump is crass. His treatment of Meghan Kelly, claiming that she was bleeding from every hole was the nastiest thing anyone of fame could say about a woman!! His popularity was based on that damn wall, and his stance on illegal immigrants. He was endorsed by far right racists! I could go on about how unreal this whole thing is! And yet.... the very people who love him will get such a rude awakening when they find that their health care will be unaffordable! I'm rambling now.....,
Quoting PPCLC:

It was almost surreal (IMO) to watch as all of the other Republican candidates were taken down by Donald Trump, who has this rude, crass, belligerent....I could keep going here...manner of speaking. :/

For many who DID clue in and who DID take the time to educate themselves (and I am more than aware that many of them looked the other way on things but not all did) were impressed by Trump's speaking style and his "tell it like it is" demeanor. These other candidates were bulldozed by him. Unreal and was like watching a horrifying traffic accident unfold very, very slowly in front of you.

Also tells the story of how many Americans who again, WERE clued in,  are feeling and thinking, and for whatever their reasons may be, are supporting someone the likes of we've not seen in this country as POTUS.

Still, and I realize this is the unpopular way of thinking apparently, I do not feel they "deserve" what they may very receive should Trump's budget proposal become fact.

HRC...the die was cast there and especially with the now infamous email scandals and fingers pointing to corruption.

Quoting SuG4: HRC did herself in, in some respects, but it wouldn't have mattered to the republicans who was on the other side. That's fair! But the republicans had so many better choices, I think. But they were too tame! Trump spoke to many on the right who were pissed for 8 years for what? Every fear of this "different" president that the right wing media could throw at him!! That he was a Muslim. He was the Anti-Christ. He had a deep-seeded hatred for this country! That he was a follower of Saul Alinsky, and his pastor hated America! And THEN, this man had the unmitigated gall to try and provide affordable health care for the masses!
Quoting PPCLC:

Without a doubt, politics in general and those running the show (our government both federal and some states) are receiving perks and such that they should not while other things are ignored or completely discarded.

There are many who voted for him and did so seeing HRC as another eight years of an Obama administration. Is that fair? Hard to tell and we'll not know, if ever. There are many who voted for him because they truly bought the MAGA slogan and were caught up in the rhetoric that THIS MAN could do better than any of the corrupt politicians in Washington. That he had been a businessman (success rate need not apply) so why not give him a shot? Many voted by playing....who knows...inka dink. Many voted without doing the research either because they didn't think it mattered or because they didn't have the means (apparently a hard concept to grasp).

But they voted for someone many of us believe, and it has becoming increasingly shown, is ill-fitted for the job of POTUS.

Are they about to get their just rewards with proposed cuts to programs like Meals on Wheels? Personally, I don't think so. We don't get to pick and choose WHO benefits from those programs based on whether or not we agree with their politics. We don't get to cast them off because they voted in a man they believed could do better than the alternative and many of us are pissed at them. 

The Republican party and particularly the right wing have wanted the West Wing back for eight years and some have been foaming at the mouth, even willing to accept someone the likes of Donald Trump as their fearless leader.

I will not point a finger personally at someone who voted for him and saying, "Well guess what toots? THIS is your fault and you are now screwed because you deserve certain losses for voting for Mister Tans Too Much." 

Quoting SuG4: I agree with some of what you're saying. Of course, no one should have to suffer for making a bad choice. Except that, that's exactly why some people voted for Trump! For 40 years, the right wing members of the country have been in a "hateful" mode toward those who, THEY think are lazy, baby-making bums, and criminals, who are "getting over", in this country, when they get entitlements, that they don't deserve!
Quoting PPCLC:

We'll have to agree to disagree then as there are many Trump voters who had no idea what was going on, unfortunately, but they're still afforded the same (Meals on Wheels would be an example) that the rest of us are if we need it. That they voted for him should not matter.

We're becoming a your side vs our side country, and it's doing nothing but perpetuate division. 

We're also becoming an apathetic country---many of us---when it comes to those who simply do not agree with us and in the issue of this past election and who is now our POTUS (for those who did pay attention), those who voted him in.

They're not cast-offs nor are they undeserving of the very things we are who are opposed to Trump, and his many proposals. If they're American citizens, no matter WHO they voted for, they're deserving of the same things you and I are.

Quoting bluefirewolf:

how educated do you have to be to know what it means if  the KKK and neonazi groups supported your choice of president?  Really?   All you have to do is know how to speak or understand English, that's it.  All you had to do was see people giving the nazi salute to this pig.  As far as I'm concerned it isn't even about a different position, or idea of how this country is run.  It's about a Hitler wanna be and NO I'm not going to unite with the shit-heads who voted for him - so you are right about that.

Quoting PPCLC:

Not ALL of them did this, though, and that seems to be something you're not understanding.

We will never come together as a united country until we stop laying blame, pointing fingers, and feeling as you do---that people who voted for this man "deserve" less than those of us who didn't vote for him. That they're deserving somehow of getting that shitty end of the stick because they just happen to not agree with us where he's concerned.

And again, there are many cats that HE did not let out of the bags until now, and after becoming our president. Too, some people simply did not understand all that he had done before they voted for him.

Should they have approached this from a far more educated position where he's concerned? Sure. But that would depend on the Donald Trump that was voted in and played into their desires and their fears, or the POTUS who's now letting us see that he really didn't know what the hell he was undertaking when he went after the position to begin with.

Quoting bluefirewolf:

that's bs if they watched the news or were on the internet or walking down the street -never mind about his past,  they heard about the KKK support, they listened to his speeches - they knew where he stood on Hispanics - that is such a load of shit - because if they listened to what he was saying - which obviously they did since they thought he was going to do all this good stuff and make America Great Again - then they heard the other things too - If they hated hilary what did they base it on? things that were said in the media, online, on tv.  They absolutely did know and are now acting innocent

Quoting PPCLC:

Then you're wrongly under the assumption that ALL of them did know these things.

So many were very desperate to not have HRC become our president that they "plugged their noses" (a favorite saying of many I've found who voted for him) when going to vote, opting instead to take their chances with Trump vs her.

Do not assume, however, that all of them were aware of all of his past bad deeds.

His failed businesses and even his sexist tendencies, while both (especially the latter) were a tell-tale sign of where he needed work as a person, were not reasons alone to not vote for him.

Quoting bluefirewolf:

because they knew the KKK supported him, they knew about his misogyny, they knew about his failed business, his racist and Islamophobic ideology - they knew it and still voted for this turd - they are getting every fucking thing they deserve - everything.  The only people I feel sorry is for the rest of us that are paying because of their fucking stupidity, selfishness, and racism.

Quoting PPCLC:

So many of them have been duped by the man during his campaigning and I think it's unfair when it's suggested that they are "getting what they deserve."

How do they actually deserve this when the man is found to go to the polar opposite of his campaign promises more times than not?

SuG4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 2:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Well people aren't even owning up to the fact that they voted for him. But he won the republican nomination first. The debate process for republicans was a big cluster! My governor is Kasich! I like him a lot! Our state had to chastise him near the beginning of his first term a few years ago. He tried to be like governor Walker of Wisconsin, when Walker got rid of the police unions, or something like that. Now Kasich tried that a few months later. But in my state it was up to the voters. I'm a government employee too, and we came out strong for the police union in Ohio! He was fine after that! LOL

Quoting PPCLC:

I'm curious if there are stats on the percentage of people who did vote for him that now regret it?

Or were so many of them so desperate to not have HER that they did what my own Mom did, and "plug their nose" while voting for him? 

IOW, I don't think the reason for voting for him is a cut and dry thing for many who did. They all had their own reasons.

You're not rambling when you consider there's so much to this CF to be practically amazed (and not in a good way) by. I think many of us are still unable to remove our mouths from the floor and primarily because every day is a new reason to keep those mouths there. :/

Quoting SuG4: As I said earlier, I wasn't happy with her behavior. And I absolutely believe that Trump is crass. His treatment of Meghan Kelly, claiming that she was bleeding from every hole was the nastiest thing anyone of fame could say about a woman!! His popularity was based on that damn wall, and his stance on illegal immigrants. He was endorsed by far right racists! I could go on about how unreal this whole thing is!
And yet.... the very people who love him will get such a rude awakening when they find that their health care will be unaffordable!
I'm rambling now.....,

Quoting PPCLC:

Quoting SuG4: HRC did herself in, in some respects, but it wouldn't have mattered to the republicans who was on the other side. That's fair! But the republicans had so many better choices, I think. But they were too tame! Trump spoke to many on the right who were pissed for 8 years for what? Every fear of this "different" president that the right wing media could throw at him!! That he was a Muslim. He was the Anti-Christ. He had a deep-seeded hatred for this country! That he was a follower of Saul Alinsky, and his pastor hated America!
And THEN, this man had the unmitigated gall to try and provide affordable health care for the masses!

Quoting PPCLC:

Quoting PPCLC:

Quoting bluefirewolf:

Quoting PPCLC:

Quoting bluefirewolf:

Quoting PPCLC:

Quoting bluefirewolf:

Quoting PPCLC:

CrazyAuntie
by Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this
You and me both, sister. Unfortunately, the innocent will suffer right along side the guilty. But, at least those poor put upon rich folk will get a nice tax break.

Quoting bluefirewolf:

I wish these things only affected trump supporters - she voted for him - she gets what she deserves

joyfree
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, at least he cares enough about his constituents that he expanded the Medicaid program!

Quoting SuG4: Well people aren't even owning up to the fact that they voted for him. But he won the republican nomination first. The debate process for republicans was a big cluster! My governor is Kasich! I like him a lot! Our state had to chastise him near the beginning of his first term a few years ago. He tried to be like governor Walker of Wisconsin, when Walker got rid of the police unions, or something like that. Now Kasich tried that a few months later. But in my state it was up to the voters. I'm a government employee too, and we came out strong for the police union in Ohio! He was fine after that! LOL

Quoting PPCLC:

Quoting SuG4: As I said earlier, I wasn't happy with her behavior. And I absolutely believe that Trump is crass. His treatment of Meghan Kelly, claiming that she was bleeding from every hole was the nastiest thing anyone of fame could say about a woman!! His popularity was based on that damn wall, and his stance on illegal immigrants. He was endorsed by far right racists! I could go on about how unreal this whole thing is!
I'm rambling now.....,

Quoting PPCLC:

Quoting PPCLC:

Quoting PPCLC:

Quoting bluefirewolf:

Quoting PPCLC:

Quoting bluefirewolf:

Quoting PPCLC:

Quoting bluefirewolf:

Quoting PPCLC:

WorriedMom386
by on Mar. 24, 2017 at 1:49 PM

The Meals on Wheels program is state funded, not Federally funded. So this woman needs to contact her State representative. My Mother & sister were volunteers for meals on wheels & my brother while on hospice care was a recipient, so I am well familiar with this program.

aprilgrandmom48
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2017 at 8:12 PM
So sorry for them. I know a couple of people too who were sure he would help them. These were ones who didn't know any political facts and didn't even know names of senators. They were just voting for his charisma, because he wasn't a politician and so they could keep their guns. Now they found out they might loose their health care. They did not know they were on ahc! I know... unbelievable.

Quoting MissAndree:

I live here in coal country, and let me tell you, I am surrounded by people who claimed that they wanted everything he promised. There is a lot of crying going on right now. Rivers of tears. 

Quoting SunFlower700:

Three weeks ago, I was watching Nightline and they were interviewing this man in Kentucky who voted for Trump.  This guy was a coal miner and has black lung disease. When he heard his Medicaid was being cut and he will no longer be able to afford that oxygen tank that is helping to keep him alive, he was literally in tears.  Stressed out and crying.  Hard to feel sorry for someone when that's what they voted for. 

Alisewill
by on Mar. 25, 2017 at 6:07 AM
It was clear as day that he was not fit.
Whoever votes for him and gets screwed, deserves it.
Debmomto2teens
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2017 at 6:31 AM
1 mom liked this
No, they don't. No one deserves to get screwed by their government. I don't understand voting for Trump but I believe people thought he would be different.

Millions of people for decades have believed in campaign promises that have not been delivered.

I'm glad this healthcare bill was removed. Most people agree Obamacare needed revising. This was a horrible replacement. The very people who thought they would be helped.. would have been screwed more.

No one should have to worry about healthcare and affording it. Hopefully, in 4 years someone who understands that healthcare is complicated can have a sustainable revision.

Quoting Alisewill: It was clear as day that he was not fit.
Whoever votes for him and gets screwed, deserves it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN