Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trump Voter Shocked To Find That Her Meals On Wheels Could Be Cut

Posted by   + Show Post

Trump Voter Shocked To Find That Her Meals On Wheels Could Be Cut

“I was under the influence that he was going to help us.”

Linda Preast has used a wheelchair since she had a stroke two years ago and now relies on Meals on Wheels, a service that provides food to millions of people with disabilities and the elderly. The 56-year-old Georgia resident never envisioned when she voted for President Donald Trump that he’d propose slashing funding for the programs.

“Are you surprised?” CBS News correspondent Michelle Miller asked Preast at her home in Jones County Saturday.

“Yeah,” Preast said. “Because he was told ― I was under the influence that he was going to help us.”

On Thursday, White House Budget Director Mick Mulvaney attacked the service, saying programs like Meals on Wheels “are just not showing any results.”

“We can’t do that anymore,” Mulvaney said. “We can’t spend money on programs just because they sound good. And Meals on Wheels sounds great.”

The statements followed the Trump administration’s recent budget proposal, which would give $54 billion to the U.S. military while decimating funding for federal programs including the Environmental Protection Agency, the State Department and the Education Department.

Jenny Bertolette, vice president of communications for Meals on Wheels America, told The Huffington Post that the program is already struggling to meet the needs of the hungry.

“The scary thing about that is that funding is already not keeping up with pace,” Bertolette said. “There are already demands that we can’t meet. There is already a waitlist crisis...  If this budget was enacted, it would obviously just make matters so much worse.”

Bertolette said since Mulvaney’s comments, Meals on Wheels has seen a 500 percent increase in volunteers and a 50 percent increase in online donations.

“What would you say to him to convince him not to cut this program?” Miller asked Preast.

“What if it was your momma?” Preast said.

by on Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:24 PM
Replies (291-296):
Seafaith
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2017 at 4:37 PM

Politics

Trillions Go Missing from the Military: Pentagon Can't Account for $6.5T in Taxpayer Cash

AP

Pentagon cannot account for how it spent $6.5 trillion in taxpayer cash

By Alicia Hesse | LifeZette

In the era of tightened fiscal budgets and out-of-control federal debt, the one sector of government that rarely finds itself on the chopping block is the military. But new doubts on how the Pentagon accounts for the colossal amount of taxpayer cash in its care have raised the question of whether the military needs more stringent fiscal accountability.

A Department of Defense Inspector General’s report released last week aimed to determine whether the changes in the Army General Fund data to financial statements in fiscal year 2015 were “adequately documented and supported.” The report revealed the Defense Finance and Accounting Service could not provide adequate documentation for how it spent $6.5 trillion.

http://nation.foxnews.com/2016/08/18/trillions-go-missing-military-pentagon-cant-account-65t-taxpayer-cash 

Quoting D-Town:

Yeah because buying equipment the military doesn't want or need is not inflating the budget. 

Quoting billsfan1104: No one is gonna starve or die. The military does not have an over inflated budget.
Quoting Healthystart30: Taking money out of things like education and programs that help the needy, just to turn around and put that money into the already overinflated military budget is NOT getting our national debt under control! And in the long run will only make our debt bigger!
Quoting billsfan1104: Meals on Wheels can and should be funded by the people. Maybe people are realizing that they need to do more instead of forcing the government to pay for every single damn thing. If we do not get our national debt under control, we ALL will be going hungry. But let's make sure people have free birth control.
Quoting Healthystart30: i am glad that people realize the importance of meals on wheals and similar programs. Wish the government did as well. Trump is a moron with a overinflated ego. Even if he did one or two things right, that wouldn't erase what a lousy human being he is.
Quoting billsfan1104: Meals on Wheels will not suffer. They have said they are not suffering and will not suffer. Seniors and the poor are not starving. They have seen an uptick in donations and volunteers, since this. What a great thing. And you know who did that?? Trump. Trump did that.
Quoting Healthystart30: Nobody is asking for MORE money. Just that the government doesn't take away that meager allowance they give to a program like meals on wheals. Cons always see the solution in more money to things that don't benefit society. Maybe one day the Cons will wake up.
Quoting 12hellokitty:

Seems if the program is struggling makes TRUMP's case that it's not working. Libs always see the solution to struggling programs as needing more money, as opposed to restructuring and finding ways within to save money. 

Seafaith
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2017 at 4:51 PM

http://nation.foxnews.com/2016/08/18/trillions-go-missing-military-pentagon-cant-account-65t-taxpayer-cash 

Politics

Trillions Go Missing from the Military: Pentagon Can't Account for $6.5T in Taxpayer Cash

AP

In the era of tightened fiscal budgets and out-of-control federal debt, the one sector of government that rarely finds itself on the chopping block is the military. But new doubts on how the Pentagon accounts for the colossal amount of taxpayer cash in its care have raised the question of whether the military needs more stringent fiscal accountability.

A Department of Defense Inspector General’s report released last week aimed to determine whether the changes in the Army General Fund data to financial statements in fiscal year 2015 were “adequately documented and supported.” The report revealed the Defense Finance and Accounting Service could not provide adequate documentation for how it spent $6.5 trillion.

Quoting Healthystart30: Don't start with the name calling! Last time when you called me a bitch you had your replies deleted! I am not closed minded! My husband was in the military for years and in those years I was a spouse for 7. I have seen it with my own two eyes! I used to work on an overseas base before I met my husband and I can tell you stories about the waste that went on there and that was a tiny base compared to many! Millions of dollars wasted. You brother in law doesn't realize that the budget is overinflated because the government is not spending the budget wisely!
Quoting billsfan1104: My brother in law is still in the military and believe me, their budget is not over inflated. I will take his word over the word of a close minded liberal whose hated for Trump and conservatives blinds her to what is really going on with the military
Quoting Healthystart30: The defense budget is overinflated. I support our troops 110% and think they should be afforded all the best! But it would only take you 5 minutes and an open mind to realize that the waste is gigantic! I didn't really say anything about starving and dying. But less education and more poverty leads to more social problems that we really don't need and are super expensive.
Quoting billsfan1104: No one is gonna starve or die. The military does not have an over inflated budget.
Quoting Healthystart30: Taking money out of things like education and programs that help the needy, just to turn around and put that money into the already overinflated military budget is NOT getting our national debt under control! And in the long run will only make our debt bigger!
Quoting billsfan1104: Meals on Wheels can and should be funded by the people. Maybe people are realizing that they need to do more instead of forcing the government to pay for every single damn thing. If we do not get our national debt under control, we ALL will be going hungry. But let's make sure people have free birth control.
Quoting Healthystart30: i am glad that people realize the importance of meals on wheals and similar programs. Wish the government did as well. Trump is a moron with a overinflated ego. Even if he did one or two things right, that wouldn't erase what a lousy human being he is.
Quoting billsfan1104: Meals on Wheels will not suffer. They have said they are not suffering and will not suffer. Seniors and the poor are not starving. They have seen an uptick in donations and volunteers, since this. What a great thing. And you know who did that?? Trump. Trump did that.
Quoting Healthystart30: Nobody is asking for MORE money. Just that the government doesn't take away that meager allowance they give to a program like meals on wheals. Cons always see the solution in more money to things that don't benefit society. Maybe one day the Cons will wake up.
Quoting 12hellokitty:

Seems if the program is struggling makes TRUMP's case that it's not working. Libs always see the solution to struggling programs as needing more money, as opposed to restructuring and finding ways within to save money. 

joyfree
by Platinum Member on Apr. 18, 2017 at 5:22 PM

????

Last year's story? Did they ever find it?

Quoting Seafaith:

Politics

AP

Quoting Healthystart30: Don't start with the name calling! Last time when you called me a bitch you had your replies deleted! I am not closed minded! My husband was in the military for years and in those years I was a spouse for 7. I have seen it with my own two eyes! I used to work on an overseas base before I met my husband and I can tell you stories about the waste that went on there and that was a tiny base compared to many! Millions of dollars wasted. You brother in law doesn't realize that the budget is overinflated because the government is not spending the budget wisely!
Quoting billsfan1104: My brother in law is still in the military and believe me, their budget is not over inflated. I will take his word over the word of a close minded liberal whose hated for Trump and conservatives blinds her to what is really going on with the military
Quoting Healthystart30: The defense budget is overinflated. I support our troops 110% and think they should be afforded all the best! But it would only take you 5 minutes and an open mind to realize that the waste is gigantic! I didn't really say anything about starving and dying. But less education and more poverty leads to more social problems that we really don't need and are super expensive.
Quoting 12hellokitty:

Seafaith
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2017 at 5:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Not that I know of. Was seeing people on here saying the military don't waste money. I say BS!

Quoting joyfree:

????

Last year's story? Did they ever find it?

Quoting Seafaith:

Politics

AP

Quoting 12hellokitty:

TommieToo
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2017 at 6:44 PM

There were also federal funds in the program, perhaps sent through the state.

Quoting WorriedMom386:

The Meals on Wheels program is state funded, not Federally funded. So this woman needs to contact her State representative. My Mother & sister were volunteers for meals on wheels & my brother while on hospice care was a recipient, so I am well familiar with this program.

atlmom2
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2017 at 7:48 PM

Doesn't she know that over 95%+ of the money comes from private donors???  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)