Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First day of spring 2017 officially arrives early Monday, March 20th, 2017

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 9:48 AM
  • 8 Replies

Poll

Question: Spring is here! This time of year what do you start on first to get ready for summer?

Options:

Deep cleaning indoors now that I can open the windows!

Yard work

Fitness ... getting ready for the bathing suit

Other, let us know in comments

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 3

View Results

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2017/03/19/monday-first-day-of-spring/99313142/

It's the day warm weather fans have been waiting months for: Monday is the first day of spring!

Spring officially arrives at 6:28 a.m. EDT (3:28 a.m. PDT) Monday, when the sun will be directly over the equator, marking the spring (aka vernal) equinox here in the Northern Hemisphere. For the folks down under in the Southern Hemisphere, it will be the first day of autumn.

The word equinox is derived from two Latin words: aequus (equal) and nox (night), according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

It's one of two days out of the year — the other being the autumnal equinox in September — when the Earth's axis is tilted neither toward nor away from the sun, resulting in a "nearly" equal amount of daylight and darkness almost everywhere on Earth.

It's also one of only two days each year that almost every spot on Earth — except the poles — experiences a sunrise at due East and a sunset at due West.

by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AmaliaD
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 9:50 AM
Today is March 20th. 🙄
numbr1wmn
by Lina on Mar. 20, 2017 at 9:53 AM

ITs too cold in boston still with snow

Lisa1273
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 9:59 AM

Thanks!  Fixed.

Time for the 2nd cup of coffee!  The first one hasn't kicked in yet.

welcome spring.gif

Quoting AmaliaD: Today is March 20th. 🙄

cookmom69
by Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 10:12 AM

I'm in Minnesota near Ontario, spring doesn't really happen around here. The snow doesn't go away until April, then it's chilly and muddy until June. By then it is summer.

Lisa1273
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 10:15 AM

I don't know if your avatar is Minnesota .... but it looks beautiful!

So you have June until when that it starts to get cooler again?  Just curious.

Quoting cookmom69:

I'm in Minnesota near Ontario, spring doesn't really happen around here. The snow doesn't go away until April, then it's chilly and muddy until June. By then it is summer.

Mom2Just1
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 10:20 AM

It's 36 in WV.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

cookmom69
by Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 10:20 AM

Thanks, and no it's actually a lake in Germany, lol, it is pretty!

It doesn't stop being winter until the end of May and then June is chilly but there is grass, July is mostly in the 80's and August it cools back down and September our trees are turning colors.

Quoting Lisa1273:

I don't know if your avatar is Minnesota .... but it looks beautiful!

So you have June until when that it starts to get cooler again?  Just curious.

Quoting cookmom69:

PPCLC
by Lisa on Mar. 20, 2017 at 10:22 AM

We've been having spring-like weather here in my little corner of the desert southwest for a few weeks now. I think our expected high today is somewhere close to the lower 90's? Something like that.

A close friend of ours is in town for the week until Friday night so my spring preparedness plans are on hold.

Honestly, in the coming weeks, I'll be transplanting different plants I've had in pots on our back patio to our front yard. Then I'll plant little new things into the pots........and THIS is my spring preparing method. ;)

This is the time of year for many of us here in the desert to mosey our perky behinds over to the thermostat and switch on the ol' a/c, too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)