Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can citizenship rights be removed? This soldier is facing deportation, and he's a citizen!

Posted by   + Show Post

JUDGE ORDERS CHICAGO ARMY VETERAN DEPORTED TO MEXICO

An Army veteran who served two tours of duty in Afghanistan will be deported to Mexico, a judge ruled last week.

On Sunday morning, family and supporters of Army Private 1st class Miguel Perez, Jr., who was born in Mexico and grew up in Chicago, gathered at a Pilsen church.

"My son fought for this country, not for Mexico," said his mother Esperanza Medina.

Perez's parents said it's unfair that their son, who legally came to the U.S. at age 8 and fought for his country, may not be able to call the U.S. home.

Perez, 38, was a legal permanent resident when he joined the Army and said he thought he became a legal U.S. citizen when he enlisted. However, that was not the case.

About four years after leaving the military, Perez served prison time for a felony drug offense which sparked the deportation proceedings.

A U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement office spokesperson said Perez was targeted for removal only after being convicted of a felony for selling drugs, after he left the Army in 2010.

For years, the Perez family has been fighting back against his deportation, saying if Perez returns to Mexico his life could be in danger.

Last week, a judge also denied the torture claim, said his attorney Chris Bergin.

So what's next?

Perez's attorney appealed the judge's ruling and reached out to U.S. Sens. Dick Durbin and Tammy Duckworth, both Illinois Democrats, asking to give Perez retroactive citizenship starting on the day he first served his country in the Army.

Perez is still being held in ICE custody.

Veteran fighting deportation after 2 tours in Afghanistan
by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 1:34 PM
Replies (81-87):
kajira
by on Mar. 21, 2017 at 10:40 AM

I would have more sympathy for him, until I saw he had a drug charge.

As far as i'm concerned, his military service was made void when he got arrested for a felony drug charge.

LuLu1001
by on Mar. 21, 2017 at 2:27 PM

Does the US Military work for you?    I grew up as a US Citizen in a Military Town with a Military Family so I refer to the US as our military.  That doesn't mean that foreigners can not serve.  It is still the US Military they take an oath to.

Quoting TommieToo:

You neglected to answer my questions, now underlined.  If you do, I think you perspective may open a little.

Quoting STVUstudent:

There have been times when qualified foreign applicants outnumbered qualified domestic applicants.  When you need to fill the seats you take what you can get- and a ready and willing legal resident is far preferable to un unwilling or unstable applicant.

Quoting TommieToo:

LuLu, think on this, WHY would citizens of OTHER countries be accepted into OUR, the US of A's, military ??

What do you call that ..  hum ???  Certainly not OUR Military!

Quoting LuLu1001:

He is not a US Citizen.  He broke the law.  His serving in our armed forces doesn't change either of those facts.  If is unfortunate for him, but he made bad choices.  

LuLu1001
by on Mar. 21, 2017 at 2:31 PM

How was his choice to earn citizenship.  He could have applied?  

I don't belive Mercenaires take an oath but fight simply for the highest bidder.  I could be wrong.  I've only met a couple but the were former US Miitary and still fought for us.  

Quoting TommieToo:

A mercenary is a person who takes part in an armed conflict who is not a national or party to the conflict and is "motivated to take part in the hostilities by desire for private gain".   Mercenaries fight for money or other recompense instead of fighting for ideological interests, whether they agree with or are against the existing government.

In the last century, and as reflected in the Geneva Convention, mercenaries have increasingly come to be seen as less entitled to protections by rules of war than non-mercenaries. However, whether or not a person is a mercenary may be a matter of degree, as financial and national interests may overlap.

When our country goes into military conflict and the purpose of that conflict is NOT in our country's best interest, the citizens do not want to go.  Therefore MERCENARIES are HIRED to do the fighting.  When America has reason to go to war, American volunteers cover the needs and a draft completes filling the need.  The citizens do not fight the draft when the need to PROTECT our way of life is dominent.

Quoting LuLu1001:

??? I don't understand your point.  Citizens of other countries have served in our military for years.  It doen't make them citizens.  I'm sure it makes the path to earning citizenship easier.  

Quoting TommieToo:

LuLu, think on this, WHY would citizens of OTHER countries be accepted into OUR, the US of A's, military ??

MONEY

Mercenary

Quoting LuLu1001:

He is not a US Citizen.  He broke the law.  His serving in our armed forces doesn't change either of those facts.  If is unfortunate for him, but he made bad choices.  

His choice was to earn citizenship.

TommieToo
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

If he was PROMISED, why back up and apply?  

TWO TOURS in Afghanastan, that was a pretty high price ??

Quoting LuLu1001:

How was his choice to earn citizenship.  He could have applied?  

I don't belive Mercenaires take an oath but fight simply for the highest bidder.  I could be wrong.  I've only met a couple but the were former US Miitary and still fought for us.  

Quoting TommieToo:

A mercenary is a person who takes part in an armed conflict who is not a national or party to the conflict and is "motivated to take part in the hostilities by desire for private gain".   Mercenaries fight for money or other recompense instead of fighting for ideological interests, whether they agree with or are against the existing government.

In the last century, and as reflected in the Geneva Convention, mercenaries have increasingly come to be seen as less entitled to protections by rules of war than non-mercenaries. However, whether or not a person is a mercenary may be a matter of degree, as financial and national interests may overlap.

When our country goes into military conflict and the purpose of that conflict is NOT in our country's best interest, the citizens do not want to go.  Therefore MERCENARIES are HIRED to do the fighting.  When America has reason to go to war, American volunteers cover the needs and a draft completes filling the need.  The citizens do not fight the draft when the need to PROTECT our way of life is dominent.

Quoting LuLu1001:

??? I don't understand your point.  Citizens of other countries have served in our military for years.  It doen't make them citizens.  I'm sure it makes the path to earning citizenship easier.  

Quoting TommieToo:

MONEY

Mercenary

Quoting LuLu1001:

SuG4
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 2:50 PM
I'm not gonna snap with the judgement on this man who fought for our country! 2 tours!
I'm not gonna make excuses for his behavior. He could have gone through the citizenship thing while in the service .... maybe! Idk

He could have started using drugs due to PTSD, he started selling! Must his punishment be punitive? He spent 7 years in prison. Did he not pay enough? You (general) can't give him a reprieve?

Quoting kajira:

I would have more sympathy for him, until I saw he had a drug charge.

As far as i'm concerned, his military service was made void when he got arrested for a felony drug charge.

mylifemylove864
by Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 3:56 PM
That's really not how it works. They aren't mercenaries.

About 4% of our military are not citizens. But they have to be legal permanent residents, ie green card holders, to join the military. They are limited in the kinds of jobs and missions they can go on because they cannot get a security clearance.

Why shouldn't immigrants be eligible for military service? They live in this country. Males have to register for selective service. This is their home.

Quoting TommieToo:

Quoting LuLu1001:

Quoting TommieToo:

MONEY

Mercenary

Quoting LuLu1001:

coala
by on Mar. 22, 2017 at 6:14 PM

I don't think they become automatic citizens.

I do have a friend who enlisted and became a citizen the day he graduated from boot camp.  Some do and some don't become citizens.  It is the person who is wanting to become a citizen's responsibility to check that.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

If I remember correctly, you do not automatically become a US Citizen upon joining the military. 

Yes, he fought for this Country but he also made the choice to sell drugs.  Regardless of the circumstances, I don't know how much sympathy I hold for drug dealers.

I'm not sure if he should be deported or not, honestly, but the issues he is facing he brought on himself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN