Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you were being let go from your job, how would you feel if you had to train your replacement.....

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 10:15 PM
  • 23 Replies
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/are-u-s-jobs-vulnerable-to-workers-with-h-1b-visas/

.....BEFORE you go? American workers are being replaced by H-1B workers from other countries! And we should be mad!
by on Mar. 20, 2017 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meriana
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2017 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this

That is so wrong and yet, a lot of our lawmakers and would-be lawmakers are in favor of expanding the H1-B visa program. They, I'm sure, are all under pressure from Corporate America to keep it as is and expand it if possible, after all it's the heads of Corporate America who win in terms of profit and increased bank accts. No matter how large their profit, how much is in their bank accts., it's never enough and never will be.

ReadWriteLuv
by Khaleesi on Mar. 20, 2017 at 10:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd be furious. I'd like to think that I would just get up and leave immediately, but the reality is that I would likely need the extra 3 months pay and the bonus for staying to train my replacement. If I could find another job immediately, I'd bolt. If not, I'd have to suck it up and face the humiliation. 

This will continue to happen. Corporate America could create 1000 new jobs, and give 1/2 of them to those with H-1B's, because its cheaper. This is a key point people can't seem to grasp when they get all excited about the promise of jobs coming back to the US. Companies are beholden to their profit margins and share holders. No company is going to voluntarily lose money. It isn't going to happen. Period. End of story. 

SuG4
by Firestarter on Mar. 20, 2017 at 10:44 PM
True!! So when companies say they can't find qualified Americans, so the companies have to hire foreigners, they're LYING!!

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I'd be furious. I'd like to think that I would just get up and leave immediately, but the reality is that I would likely need the extra 3 months pay and the bonus for staying to train my replacement. If I could find another job immediately, I'd bolt. If not, I'd have to suck it up and face the humiliation. 

This will continue to happen. Corporate America could create 1000 new jobs, and give 1/2 of them to those with H-1B's, because its cheaper. This is a key point people can't seem to grasp when they get all excited about the promise of jobs coming back to the US. Companies are beholden to their profit margins and share holders. No company is going to voluntarily lose money. It isn't going to happen. Period. End of story. 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Mar. 20, 2017 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My hubs is taking a "volunteer" retirement package along with 1300 other (several hundred  other people declined the offer) older workers from his large US corporation. He is training his replacement. He feels it's the right thing to do.

he has been working with his replacement for the last month or so...next week is his last week after 38.5 years.

ReadWriteLuv
by Khaleesi on Mar. 20, 2017 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations to him!

Quoting Sisteract:

My hubs is taking a "volunteer" retirement package along with 1300 other (several hundred  other people declined the offer) older workers from his large US corporation. He is training his replacement. He feels it's the right thing to do.

he has been working with his replacement for the last month or so...next week is his last week after 38.5 years.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Mar. 20, 2017 at 10:51 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Congratulations to him!

Quoting Sisteract:

He is not retiring. He wanted to have enough funds to have X amount of dollars/year to last until we are 100. Our financial consultant wants to fund to 109, so back to work he goes until age 62. He has multiple offers, so he's in really good shape.

We are taking our GD and her parents to WDW over Easter, and then back to work he goes!

I did my 35 years-

bluefirewolf
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 12:51 AM
3 moms liked this

if I was being let go - they could kiss my ass, I wouldn't train them shit.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Mar. 21, 2017 at 1:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I was offered a position after the government job I had was replaced by a private company to train the new people.  It was a great paying job almost three times the amount I was getting.  They didnt want any of the staff that were already there I was the only one offered a position.  I would have taken it even if it meant waving goodbye to a lot of friends who were leaving the job.

However...my husband got a position in another state that paid a crap load more than my new position and his put together.  It was a no brainer.  I took the redundancy package and relocated.  No regrets :-)

If I was to be "let go" and while that was happening I had to train my replacement.  I might fuck around with what they need to do until it bored me and then leave.  I owe nothing to a company that would treat me like that...and money has never been a motivator for me to stay somewhere.  I'd rather take any job with a pay cut.

Wolffie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 6:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I actually had to do that, except the person who took my place only needed training on the other I was working with. However, she was a little on the no brains dude and kept running to insist that I was doing one thing totally wrong but it turned out SHE was.
btamilee2750
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2017 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow....38 years!  Good for him, he has without a doubt earned his retirement.Congratulations!  My dh has been with a large US corporation for 30 years now.  He has watched the exact same thing happen at his job.  He plans to retire within 5 to 10 years.  I believe my dh would do the same as yours did.  He has seen "volunteer" retirement packages handed out for many years...

Quoting Sisteract:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)