Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

N.Korean media issue threat to 'wipe out' US

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:19 AM
  • 13 Replies

AFP - Monday, April 24, 2017

An official North Korean website warned Monday that Pyongyang will "wipe out" the United States if Washington starts a war on the peninsula, the latest tit-for-tat sabre-rattling that has sent tensions soaring in the region.
The US supercarrier Carl Vinson will arrive in waters off the Korean peninsula "in a matter of days", Vice President Mike Pence said Saturday, amid reports the North could be preparing a sixth nuclear test.
Pyongyang is still believed to be far from reaching its aim of building a missile capable of reaching the US mainland, but the secretive nation has ramped up its rhetoric in recent weeks and has carried out two rocket tests this month alone.
In a series of editorials the Rodong Sinmun newspaper -- the official mouthpiece of the ruling Workers' Party -- said the North's forces were undeterred and called the US strike group's imminent arrival "undisguised military blackmail".
"Such threat may startle a jellyfish, but can never work on the DPRK," it said Monday, using the country's official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
A day earlier it said the North's revolutionary forces were "combat-ready to sink the US nuclear aircraft carrier with a single strike".
Pyongyang's rhetoric intensifies every spring, when the US and South Korea hold joint exercises it sees as rehearsals for an attack on the North.
A separate editorial on the North's propaganda website Uriminzokkiri Monday claimed that the dispatching of the Carl Vinson signalled a war: "It is proof that an invasion of the North is nearing day by day."
The editorial, described as being written by an army officer, said it was a "big miscalculation" for Washington to compare the North to Syria, which did not launch an "immediate counterattack" after a US cruise missile strike earlier this month.
In the event of an attack, it said, "The world will witness how Washington's rash nuclear aircraft carriers are turned into a huge pile of steel and buried at sea and how a country called America is wiped out from the Earth."
There is speculation the North may conduct another test to mark the 85th anniversary of the founding of its Korean People's Army (KPA) on Tuesday.
But it has never tested an intercontinental ballistic missile with sufficient range to reach the continental United States -- although it has ambitions to develop one -- nor is it known to have miniaturised atomic technology sufficiently to be able to fit a nuclear warhead on a rocket.
US officials have repeatedly warned that "all options are on the table" to curb the North's weapons ambitions, including military strikes.

by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 7:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momtoone07
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:20 AM
3 moms liked this
America hasn't started anything. We haven't been threatening them. We haven't been launching missiles. We have allies to protect. We are in international waters. And Un has been threatening us for several years.
Cenedra64
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:23 AM

he has been spouting off for years but we still have to take him seriously especially when he does have missile capability and unpredictable.   NK has never wanted to follow by anyone's rules.  They're such a reclusive country no one knows if they're just holding their poker face or not

Quoting Momtoone07: America hasn't started anything. We haven't been threatening them. We haven't been launching missiles. We have allies to protect. We are in international waters. And Un has been threatening us for several years.

Momtoone07
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 8:26 AM
3 moms liked this
Exactly. Although, as usual, I think he is all talk. Several years ago, I watched a documentary that was filmed inside N.Korea. Those poor people. What they deal with is heartbreaking. Especially the children.

Quoting Cenedra64:

he has been spouting off for years but we still have to take him seriously especially when he does have missile capability and unpredictable.   NK has never wanted to follow by anyone's rules.  They're such a reclusive country no one knows if they're just holding their poker face or not

Quoting Momtoone07: America hasn't started anything. We haven't been threatening them. We haven't been launching missiles. We have allies to protect. We are in international waters. And Un has been threatening us for several years.

PPCLC
by Lisa on Apr. 24, 2017 at 9:32 AM
2 moms liked this

I really don't think we're going to be the ones to do a military strike first. I don't think we want to and the idea of doing so is the last one on those "options on the table."

We're wanting a peaceful resolution to a situation that has been a thorn in the side of several president's of our country, including the current one now.

We can't underestimate them, however. Several military experts from both the U.S. and South Korea are saying that N. Korea could have a functioning nuke capable of reaching the U.S. mainland within half of a decade.

N. Korea also threatened Australia a few days ago after Julie Bishop spoke about sanctions.

Cenedra64
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 9:36 AM

I was trying to find a news article I just read this morning.  An elderly American citizen was just detained in NK.   If I can find it I'll post it.   Apparently they've put one person in prison for life.  Another doing hard labor

Quoting Momtoone07: Exactly. Although, as usual, I think he is all talk. Several years ago, I watched a documentary that was filmed inside N.Korea. Those poor people. What they deal with is heartbreaking. Especially the children.
Quoting Cenedra64:

Momtoone07
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this
He is a teacher. I can't recall what he was teaching, but he was over there teaching at university, I believe. He was detained at the airport trying to leave.

Quoting Cenedra64:

I was trying to find a news article I just read this morning.  An elderly American citizen was just detained in NK.   If I can find it I'll post it.   Apparently they've put one person in prison for life.  Another doing hard labor

Quoting Momtoone07: Exactly. Although, as usual, I think he is all talk. Several years ago, I watched a documentary that was filmed inside N.Korea. Those poor people. What they deal with is heartbreaking. Especially the children.

Quoting Cenedra64:

Cenedra64
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2017 at 12:06 PM

I found it.    I know that sometimes holding citizens can be used as ploys to esculate things:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/north-korea-detains-third-american-citizen-officials/ar-BBAbo3R?li=BBnbfcL

Quoting Momtoone07: He is a teacher. I can't recall what he was teaching, but he was over there teaching at university, I believe. He was detained at the airport trying to leave.
Quoting Cenedra64:

Quoting Cenedra64:

romalove
by Roma on Apr. 24, 2017 at 9:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm sorry, I don't want this teacher detained, but I can't imagine why he would be in North Korea teaching in the first place.  I don't understand why ANY American would be over there.  

SeanandNoahsmom
by Dawn on Apr. 24, 2017 at 9:51 PM
This rhetoric is really getting old
LGAll65215
by on Apr. 24, 2017 at 9:52 PM
Gee, that sounds a lot like what happens to some people in our country, doesn't it?

Quoting Momtoone07: He is a teacher. I can't recall what he was teaching, but he was over there teaching at university, I believe. He was detained at the airport trying to leave.

Quoting Cenedra64:

Quoting Cenedra64:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)