Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Greg Gianforte Stuns Media, Democrats in Montana House Win

Posted by on May. 26, 2017 at 6:42 AM
  • 44 Replies
2 moms liked this

Greg Gianforte Stuns Media, Democrats in Montana House Win

Republican Greg Gianforte won Thursday’s special election for the U.S. House in Montana, defeating Democratic challenger Rob Quist despite being charged with misdemeanor assault the day before.

Gianforte will now take over former Navy SEAL Ryan Zinke’s House seat. Zinke vacated the seat when he accepted the post of Secretary of the Interior in President Donald Trump’s Cabinet.

The election results — with Gianforte winning over 50% of the vote and leading by a seven-point margin — were a major blow to Democrats’ anti-Trump efforts, and to the media’s expectations, after Gianforte had allegedly “body-slammed” a reporter before his final campaign event on Wednesday.

Montanans are “sending a wake-up call to the Washington D.C. establishment,” Gianforte told a jubilant crowd outside his campaign headquarters, after multiple outlets called the race.

Democrats had hoped to turn the race into an early referendum on President Trump’s performance in the White House and the GOP’s health care bill, which passed the House and is now being considered in the Senate.

But despite national attention and considerable outside funding, as well as Trump’s recent controversies in Washington D.C., Democrats were unable to turn the anti-Trump “resistance” into a concrete victory at the ballot box — a bad sign for Democratic chances in the 2018 midterms.

Democrats had also been handed the gift of a last-minute controversy when the UK Guardian reporter Ben Jacobs was allegedly assaulted by Gianforte. Jacobs said the entrepreneur had “body-slammed” him in response to questions about the Congressional Budget Office score of the GOP health care plan.

Fox News’ Alicia Acuna also supported Jacob’s account saying Gianforte grabbed Jacobs “by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him.”

An audio recording released by the Guardian showed Jacobs asking Gianforte a question, before a loud crashing noise was heard, followed by Jacobs saying Gianforte had attacked him and broken his glasses.

Gianforte’s campaign pushed back against Jacobs’s claims, saying that the reporter entered the office without permission and “aggressively shoved” a recorder in the candidate’s face. An official campaign statement said Jacobs had been asked to leave and to lower the recorder (neither of which was heard on the recording).

Gianforte was charged with misdemeanor assault and appeared to go dark Thursday, canceling interviews with both Fox News and NBC’s Meet the Press.

At least three newspapers, the Helena Independent Record, the Missoulian, and theBillings Gazette, pulled their endorsements of Gianforte, while Democrats seized on the alleged assault, with both MoveOn.org and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee launching ads that played audio of the incident.

Democrats were also hoping that Trump’s time in the White House would motivate their base in the election, and would give them a win that would point toward a big victory in the 2018 midterms, in the same way President Barack Obama motivated the Republican base in the 2010 midterms.

Despite all those factors in Democrats’ favor, it seemed that Gianforte’s win was a comfortable one. When The Associated Press called the race, Gianforte was leading Quist by approximately seven points.

In his victory speech, Gianforte appeared humbled by the recent controversy, and apologized to Jacobs for the incident that had at one point appeared to doom his campaign.

“Last night I made a mistake and I took an action that I can’t take back,” he said. “I should have not responded in the way that I did. And for that I am sorry.”

by on May. 26, 2017 at 6:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuG4
by Firestarter on May. 26, 2017 at 6:50 AM
5 moms liked this
Stunned?? It's Montana!! LMAO!!!😂😂❣️
GrettieMeh
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2017 at 7:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Who the hell is stunned?  Everyone knew he'd win lolol.

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2017 at 7:04 AM
4 moms liked this
It's Montana and everyone knows republicans don't care about little ol assault charges.
romalove
by Roma on May. 26, 2017 at 7:06 AM
1 mom liked this

The media wasn't surprised.  I watched someone on MSNBC explain how almost 70 percent of the ballots in this race had been already mailed in before this incident.  It was expected that he'd win and his assault wouldn't have much impact.

billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2017 at 7:08 AM
2 moms liked this
They keep forgetting that most of the voting happened early, before the assault. So to claim that conservatives wanted someone that assaults people in office is a false narrative.
Don't forget how long Ted Kennedy stayed in office after he killed Mary Jo
Bookwormy
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2017 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I explained in the other thread that the assault would have no impact as early voting is huge in Montana, as reported on npr.
Lisa1273
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2017 at 7:47 AM

american flag ribbon

UnoDuoTres
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2017 at 7:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Trump won the state by 20 points.

Gianforte won by 7.

Perhaps had this incident occured before 70% of the votes had been cast it would have had more of an impact.

This result is neither proof that republican voters support violence against the press (nor proof they don't) nor is it a vindication of Trump's rule. 

Trump has been having probably his best week since he started being president. From what I hear that's mostly because his team have been keeping him too busy to do things like watching TV and tweeting.

His speeches in the Middle East and Europe have struck a very different note than Obama. I disagree with his priorities in the ME, and would have preferred that he had done more to press for human rights, and to reward Iran for electing a moderate, rather than religious hardline government. But his speech was, at least, competently written. 

Likewise his speech in the NATO HQ reflected his desire to have other countries pay more. It's not unreasonable for him to point out how few NATO members actually meet their commitments under the aliance. His talk of "dues" and "back payments" was wierd though. Almost as if he thinks that money should be paid to the USA. Again, I think his priorities are wrong, but that's a matter of differing politics. Overall, he's had a good trip.

MomTiara19
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2017 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Nothing matters to republicans.

Acting like animals is a badge of honor to the Trump culture.

billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2017 at 8:16 AM

OHHHH THE IRONY

Quoting MomTiara19:

Nothing matters to republicans.

Acting like animals is a badge of honor to the Trump culture.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)