Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is political correctness a good thing?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 10:44 AM
  • 115 Replies

http://www.debate.org/opinions/is-political-correctness-a-good-thing

39% Say Yes it is a good thing
61% Say No it's not

Top reply For PC:

It's unfortunate that it's necessary.

Yes, political correctness is a good thing because it was born out of necessity. There is a prevailing attitude of prejudice and hatred and ignorance in this country, and before political correctness became a "thing", people were rampant in their insults and slurs. Unfortunately, we need political correctness because we are not a polite society.

Top reply Against PC:

Political correctness is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in awhile...

Political correctness isn't there to eliminate insults and prejudice, it mas meant to protect the thin-skinned portion of the populous that are too weak to hear them. People need to learn to take an insult. Insults aren't a good thing by any means, but not everything in life is good, not everyone is going to like you and it's about time we all accept that. The First Amendment contains one of our most basic rights, the freedom of speech. Taking words out of our vocabulary because someone feels they are offensive does not in any way fall in line with the freedom of speech. People are taking that away from us because they can't handle what we say and frankly, that's just pathetic. And you're for political correctness and that offends you, tough.

Where do you fall with political correctness? Why?

by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:13 AM
10 moms liked this
In moderation, it contributes to civil dialog and building a society of shared humanity. But, as with anything else, taken to the extreme, it becomes problematic and causes a disproportionate counter-reaction that is worse than the original offense.
LGAll65215
by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:24 AM

It is a good thing.

I read the response from the person who said being politically correct is ridiculous. What a gross human being ! She says some people are "too weak". I bet she's a real joy to live with.

Calling a back man an inferior being and using the term "nigger" is hurtful and racist, for example. . Being politically correct is being a kind and fair human being. Even if someone has some deep seated feelings against other religions or races, they need to keep it to themselves. We are all in this together.

Being told they are wrong and hurtful will inform the racist that he/she needs to change his/her attitude. Is the black person"weak" if he hears that racist description and feels bad? NO!

It is politically incorrect and inappropriate to say many hurtful,prejudiced,biased,bigoted things to many groups of people.

(I do not understand those who accuse others of being "weak" .)

PPCLC
by Lisa on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

This may come across as a strange perspective but I think being PC is situational. IOW, it depends on *what* it is that some are attempting to be PC about.

I'll use the Kathy Griffin controversy's of last week. While the majority of those of us in society felt she was completely wrong and out of line, there were still some die-hard's who wanted to excuse her because she's a comedienne ("That's what they do," though she cleared that up during her press conference that her stunt with the fake head of our POTUS was not a joke but retaliation for comments HE had made about a year ago or so) and this was "payback" for the horrific and deplorable things done toward the Obama family.

There are moments when wrong is simply that....wrong, and with no excuses or justifications.

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

This is so true. 

I see a lot of he said she said tit for tat. Its really gotten out of hand. 

And I think political correctness has been out the window for years. 

Quoting PPCLC:

This may come across as a strange perspective but I think being PC is situational. IOW, it depends on *what* it is that some are attempting to be PC about.

I'll use the Kathy Griffin controversy's of last week. While the majority of those of us in society felt she was completely wrong and out of line, there were still some die-hard's who wanted to excuse her because she's a comedienne ("That's what they do," though she cleared that up during her press conference that her stunt with the fake head of our POTUS was not a joke but retaliation for comments HE had made about a year ago or so) and this was "payback" for the horrific and deplorable things done toward the Obama family.

There are moments when wrong is simply that....wrong, and with no excuses or justifications.

PPCLC
by Lisa on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I sometimes think that good, old-fashion common sense and rationale have been replaced with that need for the tit for tat and/or having that last word, too. Of WINNING, no matter what, and telling others "You're wrong and I am right."

It's silly.

Quoting LancesMom:

This is so true. 

Quoting PPCLC:

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 11:59 AM

Yes the us vs them mentality.

I hate when even the president lumps all liberals or Dems into one category. Or Liberals and Dems lump all republicans or conservatives into one.

I may be middle of the road in some things, liberal in others and don't fit that label. 

I hate it.

Quoting PPCLC:

I sometimes think that good, old-fashion common sense and rationale have been replaced with that need for the tit for tat and/or having that last word, too. Of WINNING, no matter what, and telling others "You're wrong and I am right."

It's silly.

Quoting LancesMom:

This is so true. 

Quoting PPCLC:

PPCLC
by Lisa on Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

We're truly a divided nation and we did this to ourselves, including our POTUS and his own comments. 

I'm a moderate....an independent, really....on a lot of topics, especially when it comes to politics. 

Quoting LancesMom:

I hate when even the president lumps all liberals or Dems into one category. Or Liberals and Dems lump all republicans or conservatives into one.

I may be middle of the road in some things, liberal in others and don't fit that label. 

I hate it.

Quoting PPCLC:

It's silly.

Quoting LancesMom:

This is so true. 

Quoting PPCLC:

Kwitcherbetchen
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:07 PM
Really you are going to blame Trump? Were you in a coma for the past 8 years?

Quoting PPCLC:

We're truly a divided nation and we did this to ourselves, including our POTUS and his own comments. 

I'm a moderate....an independent, really....on a lot of topics, especially when it comes to politics. 

Quoting LancesMom:

I hate it.

Quoting PPCLC:

It's silly.

Quoting LancesMom:

This is so true. 

Quoting PPCLC:

LGAll65215
by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:09 PM
That's inappropriate.
Apologize to her.

Quoting Kwitcherbetchen: Really you are going to blame Trump? Were you in a coma for the past 8 years?

Quoting PPCLC:

Quoting LancesMom:

I hate it.

Quoting PPCLC:

It's silly.

Quoting LancesMom:

This is so true. 

Quoting PPCLC:

PPCLC
by Lisa on Jun. 4, 2017 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Are your reading comprehension skills lacking in general or simply just to make your points, as you rush in to make them?

I wrote VERY clearly WE are the ones dividing our nation and yes, this includes a president who joins in with his own comments.

Relax. Take your time to actually digest and absorb what you're reading before you dive in. 

Quoting Kwitcherbetchen: Really you are going to blame Trump? Were you in a coma for the past 8 years?
Quoting PPCLC:

Quoting LancesMom:

I hate it.

Quoting PPCLC:

It's silly.

Quoting LancesMom:

This is so true. 

Quoting PPCLC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)