Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Donald Trump Apparently Doesn’t Know Which Christians Are Evangelicals

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 6:28 PM
  • 9 Replies

Donald Trump Apparently Doesn’t Know Which Christians Are Evangelicals

Even though they helped put him in the White House.

President Donald Trump, a professed Presbyterian, courted Christian voters throughout his campaign and attributed his party nomination largely to evangelical support.

But a new report from CNN suggests the president doesn’t entirely grasp the differences among Christian denominations.   

Just days before his presidential inauguration, Trump met with two Christian leaders at his office in Trump Tower. The Rev. Patrick O’Connor, senior pastor at the First Presbyterian Church in Queens ― where the president was confirmed as a child ― and the Rev. Scott Black Johnston, senior pastor of Manhattan’s Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church, had been invited to pray with the incoming president.

In comments previously unreported, the pastors told CNN, Trump boasted: “I did very, very well with evangelicals in the polls.”

O’Connor and Johnston reminded Trump that neither of them is an evangelical. To which the president-elect reportedly asked: “Well, what are you then?”

The pastors are both mainline Protestants ― like Trump, who describes himself as a Presbyterian. O’Connor and Johnston explained this to the president-elect, who nodded and asked them: “But you’re all Christians?”

“Yes,” they said. “We’re all Christians.”

Trump’s failure to grasp basic religious literacy stands in contrast to his efforts to fashion himself a devout Christian and pander to Christian audiences. But it fits with other comments he’s made that demonstrate a fundamental inconsistency with his professed faith.

On the campaign trail, Trump boasted that he has never repented or asked for forgiveness, both of which are essential activities for most Christians. He once described the Holy Communion as a time “when I drink my little wine and have my little cracker.” 

Trump has also bragged about committing adultery, repeatedly joked about dating his own daughter, and has shown little concern for the world’s refugees ― an issue of urgency for many American evangelicals

But all this little mattered little to his evangelical base. In June of 2016, Trump met with nearly 1,000 evangelical Christians during a conference for conservative leaders in an attempt to win over a voting bloc that has consistently helped sway the GOP vote. He received a standing ovation before taking the stage, and in the months that followed ― full of controversies that would have likely crippled other candidates ― evangelicals remained his loyal fans.

Come November, more than 80 percent of white evangelicals threw their support behind Trump.

by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SuG4
by Firestarter on Jun. 4, 2017 at 6:41 PM
But Trump's pastor is an evangelical! Paula White. I read that Trump believes in the Prosperity doctrine , which isn't mainline Presbyterian either.
GrettieMeh
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 6:53 PM

"2" Corinthians was pretty much my clue lolol.  

Wolffie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2017 at 8:24 AM
I'll admit, as a lifelong Lutheran, that I don't understand the difference between Christian beliefs. Guess I need to do some reading.
PPCLC
by Lisa on Jun. 5, 2017 at 10:00 AM
3 moms liked this

Our President pays very close attention to all things news and media. 

For quite some time now, the extreme Left has mocked him for having the support of Christian evangelicals (and as this article noted, the color of their skin apparently needs to be stated).

While once again, it might be clear that our POTUS needs to do his homework, it would seem that some in the MSM also need to do theirs as well. It could be.....could be....that he's also taking his cue on all of this not from being educated per say on the subject, but from what has been said about him from the left-leaning press and haters. 

Not all Christians are evangelical. There are different factions within the Christian faith. Both our President and those that write articles like this should possibly do a little bit of research.

ReadWriteLuv
by Khaleesi on Jun. 5, 2017 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

SHOCKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!surprised

Just kidding. 

owl0210
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2017 at 11:25 AM
If Trump is religious then I'm the Pope.
BmoreOrioles
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2017 at 12:01 PM

People are dying in the streets ... because of terrorism ... and the hateful Liberal Left are coming up with more petty things with which to criticize our president ... and they continue, relentlessly, to bully and harass him over his past. This is disgraceful, disgusting, and pathetic ... and an embarrassment to our country. 

Antonio Blumberg is ignorant in his not KNOWING that it is not that Christians did not care about Trump's past misdeeds. It is that Christians FORGAVE Trump his past for which he apologized; as Christians are commanded to forgive "seven times seventy."

If you are going to bullying someone else for what you perceive as their ignorance it is best that you educate yourself; rather than looking like a fool for your own ignorance. Blumberg not being a Christian, himself, is no excuse for his ignorance, and hatred of Trump. HYPOCRITE.

romalove
by Roma on Jun. 5, 2017 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Blah blah

Blah blah blah blah blah blah

Blah blah blah BLAH blah

Indignant BLAH BLAH BLAH

More blah blah blah

HYPOCRITE

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Quoting BmoreOrioles:

People are dying in the streets ... because of terrorism ... and the hateful Liberal Left are coming up with more petty things with which to criticize our president ... and they continue, relentlessly, to bully and harass him over his past. This is disgraceful, disgusting, and pathetic ... and an embarrassment to our country. 

Antonio Blumberg is ignorant in his not KNOWING that it is not that Christians did not care about Trump's past misdeeds. It is that Christians FORGAVE Trump his past for which he apologized; as Christians are commanded to forgive "seven times seventy."

If you are going to bullying someone else for what you perceive as their ignorance it is best that you educate yourself; rather than looking like a fool for your own ignorance. Blumberg not being a Christian, himself, is no excuse for his ignorance, and hatred of Trump. HYPOCRITE.

WaterorWine
by Χριστιανός on Jun. 5, 2017 at 12:43 PM
Truthfully, I don't think most Christians think he's devout or religious, lol. Neither was Hillary or Obama. I do think Trump probably identifies culturally as a "Christian".

His religious beliefs weren't the issue. it was him representing the best interests of those Christian people. everyone forms their own values, priorities and beliefs, then they vote accordingly.

Now, to be fair. Most Christians don't know the differences between all of the denominations. I don't use that as a basis to determine if they're "legitimate".

so OP, does thigs mean questioning Obama's "Christian" devotion was acceptable?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)