Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trump supporters confront counter-protests in Portland, Oregon

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 7:09 PM
  • 52 Replies
1 mom liked this

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/19/republican-lawmakers-in-five-states-propose-bills-to-criminalize-peaceful-protest/

Image result for Trump supporters confront counter-protests in Portland, Oregon

Riot police turned out in force in downtown Portland on Sunday to maintain order as supporters and opponents of President Donald Trump faced off in dueling political rallies following racially charged killings that shook Oregon's largest city.

The midday Trump Free Speech Rally drew hundreds of demonstrators to a public square near City Hall, where a far larger throng of counter-protesters and onlookers massed on three sides of the park in a heated but mostly peaceful encounter.

Dozens of black-clad, masked anti-Trump protesters waved an "Antifascist Action" flag at pro-Trump activists across the street at one point, yelling, "Nazis, go home," while members of the opposing rally, some carrying American flags, chanted: "USA, USA."

A line of helmeted police officers took up positions between the two sides to keep them apart and break up occasional physical confrontations. Groups of uniformed U.S. Homeland Security agents were seen patrolling the area even before the rallies began, and police checked the contents of bags and backpacks carried by protesters entering the park.

Tempers and shoving matches flared periodically, but law enforcement managed to keep violence mostly in check. Police reported two arrests in the early hours of the gathering, and a third arrest was seen shortly thereafter.

Tensions were already running high in Portland a week after a man yelling religious and racial slurs at two teenage girls on a Portland commuter train stabbed three passengers who intervened, killing two of them.

One of the girls accosted in the incident, which the FBI is investigating as a suspected hate crime, was black, the other was wearing a Muslim head scarf.

Jeremy Christian, a 35-year-old with a prior felony record, was arrested and charged with murder in the May 26 attack, which Trump has condemned as "unacceptable" while saluting the victims for "standing up to hate and intolerance."

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler last week urged federal authorities to rescind a permit for the June 4 pro-Trump rally, saying he worried the protest could inflame passions in the wake of the fatal stabbings.

But the U.S. General Services Administration, which manages the protest site, denied Wheeler's request, saying the permit had been lawfully obtained weeks earlier.

Still, left-wing activists seized on the stabbings as a rallying cry for counter-protests on Sunday.

"I'm here today to stand against the hate he was spewing out," said Sharon Maxwell, 52, of Portland. "As a woman of color, I'm not going to stand for that."

John Turano, 49, a welder from Los Angeles dressed in red, white and blue with a metal breastplate and helmet, said he was attending the pro-Trump rally as a "defender," accusing the other side of trying "to take away the rights of people here."

The Portland Police Bureau, citing "online threats of violence" before the protests, said local, state and federal law enforcement would keep a heightened presence during the day and warned that protesters caught with weapons faced arrest.

Stewart Rhodes, a leader of the right-wing militia organization called Oath Keepers, told Reuters that members of his group were providing security for the Trump rally, at the request of a local Republican Party chairman, and that some outside the plaza were armed.

by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2017 at 4:03 AM
6 moms liked this
This article is full of crap. This was well known, out of state, alt right white nationalists who filed into Portland (via a GoFundMe account, ironically) to spew racist hate on the heels of a terror attack against two minority children. Based Stickman and his cronies had called for violence before they even arrived, and he is a well known violent offender. This was not a clash between Trump supporters and Trump haters. This was PDX standing up to protect the lives and livlihood of their brothers and sisters of color who are steadily being forced out of the city, even if that meant resorting to violence. They are DONE "tolerating" the intolerable that killed 2 REAL patriots, injured another, and left 2 kids of color scarred for life.

There were Nazi salutes, Nazi uniforms, racist and sexist signage, etc., throughout the rally group. People were warned repeatedly to stay with their own groups of protesters, and I know of at least 3 rally goers who infiltrated the counter protests and started craziness with Antifa. The police were not objective in the least, and they jumped the gun quite literally in their overreaction. They were THANKING Nazis for coming out today. Theu were allowing non-police personnel to help with arrests. Like, WTF? They keep showing images of confiscated weapons. Duh! These people who arenxt even residents here called for armed conflict, and declared "open season" publicly on counter protesters, ordering their followers to "smash" the counter protesters. I showed up armed with self protection items, and a lot of them- 4 stun guns, many pepper sprays, and 6 striking tools. Not Because I wanted to hurt anyone, but because I was damn sure going to defend myself against some damn Neo Nazi bat shit insane person if need be, and I was damn sure going to stand up and protect any Muslims or POC who were being harassed or assaulted. I passed some of my stuff onto women of color who were there. My bag was never searched, but then again, I have that PRIVILIGE as a cute white woman who looks like a painted picture of a suburbian housewife in my hot pink T, $200 Rocks, and white Converse. The ONE thing I am somewhat with Trump on is the fact that I hate the lack of journalistic integrity of our news outlets.
Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2017 at 4:06 AM
4 moms liked this
While they were hiring "security" to escalate tensions, our side was setting up medic tents and mental health/decompression care tents for people.

SuG4
by Firestarter on Jun. 5, 2017 at 4:24 AM
1 mom liked this
The "struggle" is REAL!! Thanks for posting what was really going on!
And the police were thanking the Nazis! I know you had your hands full, but pics of THAT would've gone viral. And there might be some pics or videos of that already.

Quoting Jack_Squat: While they were hiring "security" to escalate tensions, our side was setting up medic tents and mental health/decompression care tents for people.

Verrine
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2017 at 6:34 AM
2 moms liked this

Here I am thinking that the big sensationalist thing about the article is the photo of the homeless crazy man. I really don't understand what is going on there. I thought the Northwest was full of peace-loving tree-hugging liberals? If Portland can have that level of hate, what about the rest of us?

Quoting Jack_Squat: This article is full of crap. ... The ONE thing I am somewhat with Trump on is the fact that I hate the lack of journalistic integrity of our news outlets.
billsfan1104
by Ruby Member on Jun. 5, 2017 at 7:22 AM
2 moms liked this
Thank you for posting the actual facts.

Quoting Jack_Squat: This article is full of crap. This was well known, out of state, alt right white nationalists who filed into Portland (via a GoFundMe account, ironically) to spew racist hate on the heels of a terror attack against two minority children. Based Stickman and his cronies had called for violence before they even arrived, and he is a well known violent offender. This was not a clash between Trump supporters and Trump haters. This was PDX standing up to protect the lives and livlihood of their brothers and sisters of color who are steadily being forced out of the city, even if that meant resorting to violence. They are DONE "tolerating" the intolerable that killed 2 REAL patriots, injured another, and left 2 kids of color scarred for life.

There were Nazi salutes, Nazi uniforms, racist and sexist signage, etc., throughout the rally group. People were warned repeatedly to stay with their own groups of protesters, and I know of at least 3 rally goers who infiltrated the counter protests and started craziness with Antifa. The police were not objective in the least, and they jumped the gun quite literally in their overreaction. They were THANKING Nazis for coming out today. Theu were allowing non-police personnel to help with arrests. Like, WTF? They keep showing images of confiscated weapons. Duh! These people who arenxt even residents here called for armed conflict, and declared "open season" publicly on counter protesters, ordering their followers to "smash" the counter protesters. I showed up armed with self protection items, and a lot of them- 4 stun guns, many pepper sprays, and 6 striking tools. Not Because I wanted to hurt anyone, but because I was damn sure going to defend myself against some damn Neo Nazi bat shit insane person if need be, and I was damn sure going to stand up and protect any Muslims or POC who were being harassed or assaulted. I passed some of my stuff onto women of color who were there. My bag was never searched, but then again, I have that PRIVILIGE as a cute white woman who looks like a painted picture of a suburbian housewife in my hot pink T, $200 Rocks, and white Converse. The ONE thing I am somewhat with Trump on is the fact that I hate the lack of journalistic integrity of our news outlets.
Ms.KitKat
by on Jun. 5, 2017 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much for providing your perspective from where you were standing. 

I feel quite duped tbh - how did this author get it so wrong ? 

Quoting Jack_Squat: This article is full of crap. This was well known, out of state, alt right white nationalists who filed into Portland (via a GoFundMe account, ironically) to spew racist hate on the heels of a terror attack against two minority children. Based Stickman and his cronies had called for violence before they even arrived, and he is a well known violent offender. This was not a clash between Trump supporters and Trump haters. This was PDX standing up to protect the lives and livlihood of their brothers and sisters of color who are steadily being forced out of the city, even if that meant resorting to violence. They are DONE "tolerating" the intolerable that killed 2 REAL patriots, injured another, and left 2 kids of color scarred for life. There were Nazi salutes, Nazi uniforms, racist and sexist signage, etc., throughout the rally group. People were warned repeatedly to stay with their own groups of protesters, and I know of at least 3 rally goers who infiltrated the counter protests and started craziness with Antifa. The police were not objective in the least, and they jumped the gun quite literally in their overreaction. They were THANKING Nazis for coming out today. Theu were allowing non-police personnel to help with arrests. Like, WTF? They keep showing images of confiscated weapons. Duh! These people who arenxt even residents here called for armed conflict, and declared "open season" publicly on counter protesters, ordering their followers to "smash" the counter protesters. I showed up armed with self protection items, and a lot of them- 4 stun guns, many pepper sprays, and 6 striking tools. Not Because I wanted to hurt anyone, but because I was damn sure going to defend myself against some damn Neo Nazi bat shit insane person if need be, and I was damn sure going to stand up and protect any Muslims or POC who were being harassed or assaulted. I passed some of my stuff onto women of color who were there. My bag was never searched, but then again, I have that PRIVILIGE as a cute white woman who looks like a painted picture of a suburbian housewife in my hot pink T, $200 Rocks, and white Converse. The ONE thing I am somewhat with Trump on is the fact that I hate the lack of journalistic integrity of our news outlets.

Billiejeens
by The Librarian on Jun. 5, 2017 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this

The Intercept

leftcenter01LEFT-CENTER BIAS

These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias.  They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes.  These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.

The author wanted you to believe a certain way and you did -

Confirmation bias.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting Jack_Squat: This article is full of crap. This was well known, out of state, alt right white nationalists who filed into Portland (via a GoFundMe account, ironically) to spew racist hate on the heels of a terror attack against two minority children. Based Stickman and his cronies had called for violence before they even arrived, and he is a well known violent offender. This was not a clash between Trump supporters and Trump haters. This was PDX standing up to protect the lives and livlihood of their brothers and sisters of color who are steadily being forced out of the city, even if that meant resorting to violence. They are DONE "tolerating" the intolerable that killed 2 REAL patriots, injured another, and left 2 kids of color scarred for life. There were Nazi salutes, Nazi uniforms, racist and sexist signage, etc., throughout the rally group. People were warned repeatedly to stay with their own groups of protesters, and I know of at least 3 rally goers who infiltrated the counter protests and started craziness with Antifa. The police were not objective in the least, and they jumped the gun quite literally in their overreaction. They were THANKING Nazis for coming out today. Theu were allowing non-police personnel to help with arrests. Like, WTF? They keep showing images of confiscated weapons. Duh! These people who arenxt even residents here called for armed conflict, and declared "open season" publicly on counter protesters, ordering their followers to "smash" the counter protesters. I showed up armed with self protection items, and a lot of them- 4 stun guns, many pepper sprays, and 6 striking tools. Not Because I wanted to hurt anyone, but because I was damn sure going to defend myself against some damn Neo Nazi bat shit insane person if need be, and I was damn sure going to stand up and protect any Muslims or POC who were being harassed or assaulted. I passed some of my stuff onto women of color who were there. My bag was never searched, but then again, I have that PRIVILIGE as a cute white woman who looks like a painted picture of a suburbian housewife in my hot pink T, $200 Rocks, and white Converse. The ONE thing I am somewhat with Trump on is the fact that I hate the lack of journalistic integrity of our news outlets.

Ms.KitKat
by on Jun. 5, 2017 at 8:26 AM
3 moms liked this

Generally trustworthy with a slight bias. 

Now if the pp would have written the article ... I'm not so sure the article was that biased. 

Now if it was your post, your source would be clearly in the red  with little to no trustworthiness. 

Quoting Billiejeens:

The Intercept

These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias.  They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes.  These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.

Confirmation bias.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

LGAll65215
by on Jun. 5, 2017 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this
How funny--usually it's right wing sources that use "loaded words" words designed to slant an occurrence to reflect their own goals--to put down everyone who isn't far right.

Quoting Billiejeens:

The Intercept

Confirmation bias.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Quoting Jack_Squat: This article is full of crap. This was well known, out of state, alt right white nationalists who filed into Portland (via a GoFundMe account, ironically) to spew racist hate on the heels of a terror attack against two minority children. Based Stickman and his cronies had called for violence before they even arrived, and he is a well known violent offender. This was not a clash between Trump supporters and Trump haters. This was PDX standing up to protect the lives and livlihood of their brothers and sisters of color who are steadily being forced out of the city, even if that meant resorting to violence. They are DONE "tolerating" the intolerable that killed 2 REAL patriots, injured another, and left 2 kids of color scarred for life.

Billiejeens
by The Librarian on Jun. 5, 2017 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this

I 100% believe that you think that, and that is probably 98% of the reason that you are so incredibly ignorant on each and every issue and grotesquely misinformed.

Quoting LGAll65215: How funny--usually it's right wing sources that use "loaded words" words designed to slant an occurrence to reflect their own goals--to put down everyone who isn't far right.
Quoting Billiejeens:

The Intercept

Confirmation bias.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)