Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Transgender Athlete Beats Girls But Would’ve Placed Last Against Boys

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:43 PM
  • 155 Replies
2 moms liked this

Transgender Athlete Beats Girls But Would’ve Placed Last Against Boys 

A transgender high school athlete beat girls in the Connecticut track state championship Tuesday, but his time would have placed him last in the boys’ race.

Andraya Yearwood, a freshman at Cromwell High School, placed first in the girls’ 100-meter and 200-meter dash finals against girls from other schools in the region, according to Turtleboy Sports. But his time would have earned him last place in both boys’ competitions.

Yearwood finished the girls’ 100-meter dash with a time of 12.66 seconds and the girls’ 200-meter dash in 26.08 seconds.

The last-place finishers for the boys’ 100-meter and 200-meter dashes, Shayne Beckloff and Terrance Gallishaw, finished the races in 11.73 seconds and 25.59 seconds, respectively.

“It feels really good,” said Yearwood to The Day. “I’m really happy to win both titles … I kind of expected it. I’ve always gotten first, so I expected it to some extent. … I’m really proud of it.”

“She has just been a member of the team running hard day in and day out,” said Brian Calhoun, Yearwood’s coach to the Hartford Courant in April, when Yearwood was first allowed to compete. “It has been like every other athlete. We have a girl on the team who runs pretty quickly. And I think the girls are pretty happy to have a girl on the team that runs pretty quickly. … It is going to be a positive thing for the whole team.”

As of April, Yearwood had yet to have a sexual reassignment surgery or take hormone and puberty blockers. (RELATED: Female Track Team Welcomes A Boy As Their Newest Teammate)

The Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference (CIAC), which oversees the state’s high school sports, lets the student and his or her school determine gender identification for the purposes of competition. The organization asserts that it is against state and federal law to prevent a student from competing on a gender-specific sports team that aligns with the student’s public gender identity, according to the Hartford Courant.

“I know they’ll say it is unfair and not right, but my counter to that is: Why not?” said Ngozi Nnaji, Yearwood’s mother, to the Hartford Courant. “She is competing and practicing and giving her all and performing and excelling based on her skills. Let that be enough. Let her do that, and be proud of that.”

Transgender individuals competing in gendered sports leagues have sparked controversies recently. Laurel Hubbard, born a biological male, won a weightlifting competition in March and Ice Wangyot, an Alaskan boy-to-girl transgender, also competed in a girls’ track race.

The Daily Caller News Foundation reached out to CIAC and Cromwell Public Schools for comment regarding the fairness of allowing Yearwood to compete in girls’ races but received no comment in time for publication.

by on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:45 PM
All well.
nononenever
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 8:56 PM
48 moms liked this

I have difficulty with this.  A transgendered girl who is physically a boy does have an unfair advantage when competing in strength and or speed based sports.  It isn't fair to the cis girls she competes against. 

I don't know the solution.  But it is unfair.   There is a reason that sports are split and women don't compete directly with men.   

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:13 PM
3 moms liked this

Yeah I do too.  Maybe if there was a time frame of being transgender is in place it may help, but physically boys are stronger than girls and IMO it is an unfair advantage.

Also there isnt too much of a difference if a girl who is transgender enters into the boys domain....maybe the medication wouldnt be allowed that could possibly enhance performance?

IDK...I am leaning more towards it not being allowed :-(

Quoting nononenever:

I have difficulty with this.  A transgendered girl who is physically a boy does have an unfair advantage when competing in strength and or speed based sports.  It isn't fair to the cis girls she competes against. 

I don't know the solution.  But it is unfair.   There is a reason that sports are split and women don't compete directly with men.   

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:23 PM
10 moms liked this

A female will never run as fast as a male. The pelvic structure prevents that. No meds, no genital alteration is going to change that.

Kwitcherbetchen
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:29 PM
28 moms liked this
Sad day when it is okay for a dude to pretend he is a girl so he can feel accomplished.
Mrs.ChuckBass
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:40 PM
6 moms liked this
Maybe transgender olympics?

Quoting nononenever:

ILive4This
by Robin on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:40 PM
13 moms liked this

"As of April, Yearwood had yet to have a sexual reassignment surgery or take hormone and puberty blockers"

So, she identifies as female, but hasn't done any of the steps to transition? Isn't that just a guy dressed as a girl then? Physically, not mentally. If that's the case, it doesn't seem fair then. Seems like she (or anyone), should at least be taking the steps so they aren't totally, physically the opposite gender.

SeanandNoahsmom
by Dawn on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:45 PM
4 moms liked this
This reminds me of the male wrestler who was transitioning into a female, who was forced to compete against girls. To her credit, she at least protested vehemently. It is very unfair to girls to have to compete against another female with a male body; they don't stand a chance.
SeanandNoahsmom
by Dawn on Jun. 4, 2017 at 9:49 PM
4 moms liked this
I agree; while there are a few who really identify as female, opportunities for abuse of the rules abound. If you're serious, then have the surgeries

Quoting Kwitcherbetchen: Sad day when it is okay for a dude to pretend he is a girl so he can feel accomplished.
AdrianneHill
by Ruby Member on Jun. 5, 2017 at 12:01 AM
11 moms liked this
There needs to be another way. Its grossly unfair especially if those trans females haven't taken any hormones so their bodies are swimming in natural testosterone. It's almost steroids. I know that's likely unpopular but hey. I have a problem with unfairness. And someone with years of testosterone is going to beat someone without it. Thats just a fact
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)