Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bill Cosby walks from court a free man

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:46 AM
  • 67 Replies

A judge has declared a mistrial in the Bill Cosby sex assault case, after the jury was deadlocked for a second time.

The seven men and five women were unable to reach a unanimous decision, following more than 50 hours of deliberations.

Mr Cosby, 79, is accused of drugging and sexually assaulting Andrea Constand in 2004. His lawyers had argued the sex was consensual.

The US comedian could face new proceedings.

For now, he walks way from court a free man, but the prosecution has already said they are pursuing a fresh trial.

Mr Cosby could have faced up to a decade in prison if found guilty of three counts of aggravated indecent assault.

Dozens of women say he assaulted them, but statutes of limitation rules mean he was allowed to be tried for Ms Constand's allegation only.

by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
broboxer
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:58 AM
I haven't followed this trial. I'm wondering what the evidence the jury saw. I'm guessing there wasn't much if they're deadlocked.
anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Jun. 17, 2017 at 11:01 AM

But....even if they were sequestered, I feel like there was so much in the news before the trial ever started.  

Is it because he's old?  

Quoting broboxer: I haven't followed this trial. I'm wondering what the evidence the jury saw. I'm guessing there wasn't much if they're deadlocked.

broboxer
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 11:03 AM
It's hard to get into someone's mind, I'm curious what the debate in the jurors room was like. Maybe the victims weren't credible?

Quoting anxiousschk:

But....even if they were sequestered, I feel like there was so much in the news before the trial ever started.  

Is it because he's old?  

Quoting broboxer: I haven't followed this trial. I'm wondering what the evidence the jury saw. I'm guessing there wasn't much if they're deadlocked.

romalove
by Roma on Jun. 17, 2017 at 11:03 AM
3 moms liked this

Problems with the case:

The woman claiming the assault continued to see Cosby even after the assault.  She claimed she had never been alone with him after that but she was.  She tried to have this tried two years after the event but the DA in the county at that time felt the case was too weak to try.  They are now trying it after more than a decade's time from the case.  They were only allowed to bring in one other woman to describe a similar incident she had with Cosby, even though the prosecution requested about a dozen such witnesses.

The prosecution has already said they are going to refile and try again.

broboxer
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Ah, it's beginning to make sense now. Thanks for the info

Quoting romalove:

Problems with the case:

The woman claiming the assault continued to see Cosby even after the assault.  She claimed she had never been alone with him after that but she was.  She tried to have this tried two years after the event but the DA in the county at that time felt the case was too weak to try.  They are now trying it after more than a decade's time from the case.  They were only allowed to bring in one other woman to describe a similar incident she had with Cosby, even though the prosecution requested about a dozen such witnesses.

romalove
by Roma on Jun. 17, 2017 at 11:06 AM
4 moms liked this

You're welcome.

The bar is very high for a criminal conviction; they need better than 95 percent surety to hit beyond a reasonable doubt.  In a case like this, that's hard.

And btw, I think Cosby's guilty as hell, lol, I don't believe for a second that 60 plus women are lying, plus there's his own deposition where he admits to giving Quaaludes to women.

There are also civil lawsuits going forward.  The standard is lower for them.

Quoting broboxer: Ah, it's beginning to make sense now. Thanks for the info
Quoting romalove:

Problems with the case:

SeanandNoahsmom
by Dawn on Jun. 17, 2017 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I really feel it is because he's Bill Cosby, and there are some people who just cannot believe Americas dad could do something like that. Heck, I sure didn't want to. But I believe he is guilty, and justice wasn't served here. But age could have played a role, too.

Quoting anxiousschk:

Is it because he's old?  

broboxer
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 11:08 AM
2 moms liked this
From the little I've read over the last several months, I believe he's guilty as well.

Quoting romalove:

You're welcome.

The bar is very high for a criminal conviction; they need better than 95 percent surety to hit beyond a reasonable doubt.  In a case like this, that's hard.

And btw, I think Cosby's guilty as hell, lol, I don't believe for a second that 60 plus women are lying, plus there's his own deposition where he admits to giving Quaaludes to women.

There are also civil lawsuits going forward.  The standard is lower for them.

Quoting broboxer: Ah, it's beginning to make sense now. Thanks for the info

Quoting romalove:

Problems with the case:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jun. 17, 2017 at 11:08 AM

Maybe they should try with another one of his alleged victims?

I can not believe how many women have come forward.

Didn't Cosby admit in writing (which he later retracted) to giving women Quaaludes prior to raping them?

romalove
by Roma on Jun. 17, 2017 at 11:10 AM

They can't try with anyone else.

This is the only case that was within the statute of limitations, and even then, they made it by days.

Cosby admitted to that in a deposition, he didn't call it rape, though, he admitted to giving them Quaaludes to "relax" them before sex (I'm paraphrasing).  He didn't appear to think there was anything wrong with his behavior in doing so.

Quoting Sisteract:

Maybe they should try with another one of his alleged victims?

I can not believe how many women have come forward.

Didn't Cosby admit in writing (which he later retracted) to giving women Quaaludes prior to raping them?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)