Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think she's guilty?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 2:49 PM
  • 231 Replies
There was a story all over the news about a Massachusetts woman who repeatedly told her boyfriend to kill himself, even when he got cold feet. He them tragically followed through, and succeeded. She was found guilty of voluntary manslaughter. She is facing up to 20 years in prison. There is also another case, which I believe was the subject of a post in this group, about a 13 year old girl who did the same, resulting in the death of an 11 year old boy. This one hits close to home, having 2 boys around that age.
What are your thoughts?
by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SeanandNoahsmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 2:52 PM
2 moms liked this
I do believe she's guilty and should go to prison for at least 10 years, though I doubt she will. I would hope that if this were my child, ANYONE would try to discourage him, especially someone who supposedly cares for him, and failing to do so is criminal.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jun. 17, 2017 at 2:58 PM
11 moms liked this

TBH ...even though I think she is a horrible person and Im glad that she knows it .....I am on the fence about this sentencing.

Nobody should be responsible for someone taking their own life willingly.

I was attacked by a attention seeking mentally deranged kid who came at me with a knife (which I thought he was going to use on me) he turned it and put it to his own throat and basically started goading me with "go on tell me to do it...dare ya to"  I told him to go right ahead and do the world a favour...but take it outside, thats new carpet and you shouldnt make a mess there.

If he had gone outside and slit his own throat....should I have been jailed for 10 years?

The kid in the article that died....had tried numerous times, he was troubled.  Should she have encouraged him over such a long time...of course not.  But ultimately I believe sole blame should lie at the feet of the person who actually killed themselves.

JMO

Piskie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 3:16 PM
9 moms liked this
Yes.

She actively encouraged him.

When he backed out, she talked him into it.

She spoke of wanting the attention as a grieving girlfriend.

It wasn't negligence, it wasn't ignorance, it was an active deliberate choice over a long time to get him to do this.

SeanandNoahsmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 3:42 PM
4 moms liked this
She sounds very sick as well

Quoting Piskie: Yes.

She actively encouraged him.

When he backed out, she talked him into it.

She spoke of wanting the attention as a grieving girlfriend.

It wasn't negligence, it wasn't ignorance, it was an active deliberate choice over a long time to get him to do this.

SeanandNoahsmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 3:54 PM
4 moms liked this
You make a valid point; ultimately he is responsible

Quoting turtle68:

TBH ...even though I think she is a horrible person and Im glad that she knows it .....I am on the fence about this sentencing.

Nobody should be responsible for someone taking their own life willingly.

I was attacked by a attention seeking mentally deranged kid who came at me with a knife (which I thought he was going to use on me) he turned it and put it to his own throat and basically started goading me with "go on tell me to do it...dare ya to"  I told him to go right ahead and do the world a favour...but take it outside, thats new carpet and you shouldnt make a mess there.

If he had gone outside and slit his own throat....should I have been jailed for 10 years?

The kid in the article that died....had tried numerous times, he was troubled.  Should she have encouraged him over such a long time...of course not.  But ultimately I believe sole blame should lie at the feet of the person who actually killed themselves.

JMO

SeanandNoahsmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this
At the very least I hope she gets the help she clearly needs.
PinkButterfly66
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 4:00 PM
7 moms liked this

I  believe she is guilty.  She had plenty of opportunities to tell his parents that he was suicidal.  She had plenty of opportunities to call 911 on him and get him admitted to the psych ward where he would get help.  She kept all that information to herself and she actually encouraged him and admonished him when he was having second thoughts.  She should go to jail. 

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jun. 17, 2017 at 4:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Is an adult responsible for another adults health....are they legally bound to ring the parents, police, hospital? 

I get she is a bitch and wanted to play the eternal victim, but ultimately she is not responsible for an adults mental state of mind, even if she is the one that contributed to it.  Men send women to suicide and vice virca all the time from unrequited love, rejection, etc.  This ruling may be the start of those people being charged with voluntary manslaughter.

This is all my opinion that is...apparently in the eyes of a judge and jury....she is guilty.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I  believe she is guilty.  She had plenty of opportunities to tell his parents that he was suicidal.  She had plenty of opportunities to call 911 on him and get him admitted to the psych ward where he would get help.  She kept all that information to herself and she actually encouraged him and admonished him when he was having second thoughts.  She should go to jail. 

Reading.Rainbow
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 4:20 PM
3 moms liked this
Yes... She deserves at least as much as a drunk driver who killed someone would get.
PinkButterfly66
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 4:22 PM
4 moms liked this

She manipulated him.  She is culpable.   She didn't just stand by while he killed himself, she urged him every step of the way.  When he got out of the truck and said he was scared, she didn't say don't get back in, I'm calling 911 for you.  She said, get back in the truck.  She is not innocent.  This was not a a kid who was driven to suicide because of a broken heart.  This was a very depressed and suicidal kid who was pushed into suicide.  

Quoting turtle68:

Is an adult responsible for another adults health....are they legally bound to ring the parents, police, hospital? 

I get she is a bitch and wanted to play the eternal victim, but ultimately she is not responsible for an adults mental state of mind, even if she is the one that contributed to it.  Men send women to suicide and vice virca all the time from unrequited love, rejection, etc.  This ruling may be the start of those people being charged with voluntary manslaughter.

This is all my opinion that is...apparently in the eyes of a judge and jury....she is guilty.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)