Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Six resign from presidential HIV/AIDS council because Trump 'doesn't care'

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:00 PM
  • 8 Replies
Six members of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS have angrily resigned, saying that President Trump doesn’t care about HIV.

Scott Schoettes, Lucy Bradley-Springer, Gina Brown, Ulysses Burley III, Michelle Ogle and Grissel Granados publicly announced their resignations in a joint letter published in Newsweek titled, “Trump doesn’t care about HIV. We’re outta here.”

The group said that the administration “has no strategy” to address HIV/AIDS, doesn’t consult experts when working on policy and “pushes legislation that will harm people living with HIV and halt or reverse important gains made in the fight against this disease.”

“As advocates for people living with HIV, we have dedicated our lives to combating this disease and no longer feel we can do so effectively within the confines of an advisory body to a president who simply does not care,” they wrote.

The group noted that Trump took down the Office of National AIDS Policy website when he took office and hasn’t appointed anyone to lead the White House Office of National AIDS Policy.

They also said that the GOP’s ObamaCare repeal bill will dramatically hurt those with HIV/AIDS, making it the “final straw for us — more like a two-by-four than a straw” in deciding to leave the council.

“We will be more effective from the outside, advocating for change and protesting policies that will hurt the health of the communities we serve and the country as a whole if this administration continues down the current path,” they wrote.

“We hope the members of Congress who have the power to affect healthcare reform will engage with us and other advocates in a way that the Trump Administration apparently will not.”

http://thehill.com/news-by-subject/healthcare/338296-six-resign-from-presidential-hiv-aids-council-because-trump-doesnt#
by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
niceandhappy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:08 PM

Obama holdovers? Bye Bye.

francee89
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:16 PM
3 moms liked this
The council has been around since 1995, so I have no idea when they joined - some could be pre-Obama. It sounds like they were all more than willing to continue to lend their collective expertise, no matter the party of the person in office, but were frustrated by the lack of action from Trump.

Quoting niceandhappy:

LGAll65215
by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:17 PM

Quoting niceandhappy:

That is not the issue! 

It is that Trump obviously let them know he doesn't care, that he is not concerned with HIV/AIDS. Are you?

ReadWriteLuv
by Khaleesi on Jun. 17, 2017 at 9:42 PM
HIV/AIDS isn't the hot button topic it once was, people tend to forget it's still around, and there is still no cure. (At least not one available to the general public.) With the resurgence of the heroin/opioid epidemic, HIV cases could very well begin to increase annually, rather than keep on a decline. It's a shame these people, experts in their field, left because they weren't being heard. It's an unfortunate trend with this administration.

I'm sure Trump hung out with Magic Johnson once, probably at a party in the 90's. By his logic, I'm sure he now knows more about HIV than the doctors.
MissAndree
by Ronita on Jun. 17, 2017 at 10:52 PM
3 moms liked this
Look how Pence screwed over Indiana and allowed an epidemic to happen. I expect that epidemic to become nationwide under this administration.
GrettieMeh
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2017 at 11:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting MissAndree: Look how Pence screwed over Indiana and allowed an epidemic to happen. I expect that epidemic to become nationwide under this administration.

Yes.  There is a lot of things in the Trump administration that has Pence's fingerprints all over it.

MissAndree
by Ronita on Jun. 17, 2017 at 11:21 PM
2 moms liked this
Yep, and none of it good.

Quoting GrettieMeh:

Quoting MissAndree: Look how Pence screwed over Indiana and allowed an epidemic to happen. I expect that epidemic to become nationwide under this administration.

Yes.  There is a lot of things in the Trump administration that has Pence's fingerprints all over it.

LGAll65215
by on Jun. 17, 2017 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep.

Quoting MissAndree: Yep, and none of it good.

Quoting GrettieMeh:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)