Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sean Spicer might be leaving White House podium

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 6:22 PM
  • 23 Replies

Sean Spicer might be leaving White House podium

Story highlights

• It remains unclear when the change might happen for Spicer
  • The shakeup would cap off Spicer's tumultuous six-month tenure at the White House podium

Washington (CNN)The White House is mulling a new role for White House press secretary Sean Spicer that would take him away from the podium and into a different role inside the West Wing, a White House official said Monday.

It remains unclear when the change might happen for Spicer, who for months has found himself at the center of discussions about a potential West Wing shakeup; the official said the timing remains fluid.
"It just seems chaotic," the official said.
    The shakeup would cap off Spicer's tumultuous six-month tenure at the White House podium, which made him not only one of the administration's most prominent personalities, but also the face of the White House's unfocused messaging strategy.
    "We have sought input from many people as we look to expand our communications operation," White House deputy press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement. "As he did in the beginning, Sean Spicer is managing both the communications and press office."
    Spicer began his tenure as White House press secretary by taking to the White House briefing room and criticizing reporters for the coverage of Trump's inauguration crowd size. In subsequent months, he would see the statements he made at the White House podium contradicted by the President -- raising questions about the administration's credibility and Spicer's ability to speak for Trump with confidence.
    Spicer's time at the White House briefing room podium in recent weeks has decreased amid rumors that Spicer would soon transition to a different role, with some suggesting the President was unhappy with Spicer's performance in the public-facing role.
    The daily briefings from the White House podium were frequently broadcast live on the major cable news networks and his combative back-and-forths with reporters soon earned him a lampooning on NBC's "Saturday Night Live," where actress Melissa McCarthy's portrayal of him has become a national sensation.
    by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 6:22 PM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    SeanandNoahsmom
    by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 6:42 PM
    2 moms liked this
    I have expected this for a long time, since the Hitler statements he made, and believed Sarah Huckabee Sanders would succeed him. Time will tell. I think if there is a west wing shake up, then Steve Bannon could be next.
    UnoDuoTres
    by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 6:56 PM
    10 moms liked this

It's equally possible that Sean Spicer is getting uncomfortable with the number of times the White House has sent him out to deliver lies to the press, only to cut his legs out from under him a tweetstorm later.

PPCLC
    by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:37 PM
    1 mom liked this

According to one news site, he'll now be in the new role of overseeing the entire WH communication operation.

Whatever keeps him from the podium is good news for me personally. He was not suited for that job and there were many times you could look at how worn out he was becoming due to the breakneck speed the questions came at him in that press room, and how often he had to fudge the answers.

Sanders seems to be able to hold her own and I prefer her IF she's the one to take over for him in the press room permanently.

billsfan1104
    by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:52 PM
    1 mom liked this
    I like sanders. She is straight to the point, knows her stuff, and pulls no punches.
    Mika Brezinski hates her. Sanders was on Morning Joe and she basically called her a liar and kept rolling her eyes and sighing throughout the interview.
    Sanders will do well.

Quoting PPCLC:

According to one news site, he'll now be in the new role of overseeing the entire WH communication operation.

Whatever keeps him from the podium is good news for me personally. He was not suited for that job and there were many times you could look at how worn out he was becoming due to the breakneck speed the questions came at him in that press room, and how often he had to fudge the answers.

Sanders seems to be able to hold her own and I prefer her IF she's the one to take over for him in the press room permanently.

PPCLC
    by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:26 PM
    2 moms liked this

Sanders is intelligent, definitely to the point, and handles the press far better than Spicer seemed to be able to. 

Just looked at an interview Sanders had on MSNBC in which Sanders called out Scarborough on a comment he made and immediately Scarborough and his fiance Brezinski (helpful when you have your fiance by your side to do this on the air) were bickering with Sanders.

Sanders didn't back down and I like that. She was not intimidated by the tag-teaming of the two and that's important, especially in the Trump era in the White House and a media eager to gobble up and state every controversy out there about the POTUS, be it fact or fiction.

Quoting billsfan1104: I like sanders. She is straight to the point, knows her stuff, and pulls no punches. Mika Brezinski hates her. Sanders was on Morning Joe and she basically called her a liar and kept rolling her eyes and sighing throughout the interview. Sanders will do well.
    Quoting PPCLC:

Matboxcards
    by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:42 PM
    1 mom liked this
    That would be excellent news. Every time I see him giving a press conference I have this overwhelming desire to put him on an IV ativan drip.
    bluefirewolf
    by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2017 at 2:41 AM
    4 moms liked this

damn saturday night live won't be the same without him

ILive4This
    by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2017 at 7:27 AM

I wouldn't miss Spicey, although I mostly felt sorry for him. He was thrown out there to lie and then had to deal with it. I hope they bring in somebody new. Sanders is not made to be a spokesperson, she has a horrible presence on camera, and she's a worse liar than Spicer. Although, maybe that's a good thing, as far as being a human. Maybe the administration should just stop making their spokespeople lie.

Bookwormy
    by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2017 at 7:45 AM
    1 mom liked this
    That's all I could think too.

Quoting bluefirewolf:

damn saturday night live won't be the same without him

Sparkles4Lui
    by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2017 at 9:08 AM
    Omg, I didn't realize that she's Huckleberrys daughter, lol.
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)