Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Local Police and social media crime blotters

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:33 PM
KK
  • 3 Replies

Should police post every call they respond to on social media crime blotters?  Is there really a public interest served by posting these types of calls?    

Woman calls cops worried semen in thermos might explode

http://komonews.com/news/offbeat/woman-calls-cops-worried-semen-in-thermos-might-explode

by The Associated Press

A Florida woman trying to get pregnant via artificial insemination called police because she feared the thermos she was using to store sperm and dry ice might explode.

Felicia Nevins sought the Pasco County Sheriff's Office help after she forgot to remove a rubber O-ring from the container.

The next thing Nevins knew, the incident was all over social media. That's because the sheriff's office posted details on Facebook.

Nevins told the Tampa Bay Times she was upset because the post was not removed Friday. Nevins was not identified by name but she said she was mortified that enough information was posted for her to be identified.

The sheriff's office defended its action, saying it was important to provide the type of safety information contained in the post.

by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:42 PM

I didn't read  your article, just the question you posed. In my area, there are individuals that have opened FB pages with either Fire or Police info. They sit by their scanner and post every call that goes on. They do not work for the police/fire, they just do it....for whatever reason. It's more like town, street, incident, injured parties (no names), car accident. fire, etc. That sort of information. They don't have peoples names, etc. So it's never personal....it would be the same as if I were listening to a scanner. 

The state police list stats at the end of the month. 

4evrinbluejeans
by KK on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:56 PM

My question was specifically about local police social media blotters.  Their pages are going to have a stronger local presence then some dude sitting in front of his scanner.  

The artcle was about a woman who called needed their help with something personal and it ended up on the local police departments social media blotter.  

My local police department has begun posting a daily blotter on their Facebook page. 

Quoting EireLass:

I didn't read  your article, just the question you posed. In my area, there are individuals that have opened FB pages with either Fire or Police info. They sit by their scanner and post every call that goes on. They do not work for the police/fire, they just do it....for whatever reason. It's more like town, street, incident, injured parties (no names), car accident. fire, etc. That sort of information. They don't have peoples names, etc. So it's never personal....it would be the same as if I were listening to a scanner. 

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 20, 2017 at 9:47 AM

Ahh. Got it. 

My town doesn't have a police department. The town closest to me doesn't either. Our fire departements are both volunteer. The closest 'big town' that does have both, the police department has a facebook page, but it's more funand informative. They list animals that they find and bring into the station (one time 2 goats). Whenever there are reasons for celebrations, they post (birthdays, new hires, etc....pictures of cakes). Also when someone does something stupid like steal froma store that has cameras, but you don't see the face clearly, they put that on. I think the only time names are released is when someone recognizes the animals. Real small towns here.

Quoting 4evrinbluejeans:

My question was specifically about local police social media blotters.  Their pages are going to have a stronger local presence then some dude sitting in front of his scanner.  

The artcle was about a woman who called needed their help with something personal and it ended up on the local police departments social media blotter.  

My local police department has begun posting a daily blotter on their Facebook page. 

Quoting EireLass:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)