Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Congressional staffers boo Trump at unity baseball game

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:49 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Congressional staffers boo Trump at unity baseball game

So much for defanging the poisonous debate in Washington.

Dozens of congressional staffers erupted into boos, jeers and even vulgar gesticulations Thursday when President Trump appeared in a video at the Congressional Baseball Game at Nationals Park.

Mr. Trump delivered a message of unity, but some fans in the stands weren’t having any of it.

One man shouted an expletive at the video screen as Mr. Trump was telling the fans: “We are showing the world we will not be intimidated by threats.”

The episode marred what had been a night celebrating those wounded in Wednesday’s murderous attack on GOP players practicing for the game.

When both teams went to second base — the symbolic spot where Rep. Steve Scalise was wounded in the attack at the Alexandria practice field — to kneel and pray, some mocked the prayer, too. The fans appeared to be Democratic staffers, having booed the announcement of several members of the GOP lineup.

Most fans were in the correct mood, however, chanting U-S-A and giving a loud standing ovation to Capitol Police Special Agent David Bailey, who along with two other special agents at the field Wednesday were credited with saving the lives of dozens of lawmakers and staffers.

Agent Bailey threw out the first pitch.

In the wake of the attack Wednesday, leaders in both parties have pleaded for civility in the political conversation.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jun/15/congressional-staffers-boo-trump-unity-baseball-ga/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS

by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
billsfan1104
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:54 PM
CNN had to take down a tweet because it said "Democrats pray together" and they forgot to add that republicans were there too, so they had to take it down and redo the headline.
Reading.Rainbow
by Sif on Jun. 19, 2017 at 7:58 PM
2 moms liked this

I heard it was a great day, everyone was supportive and that people were feeling hopeful...

That's coming from someone who was actually in the stands.

Take your own advice, stop listening to MSM so much. We're not as divided as they tell us.

VooDooB
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:00 PM

I gave advice?

Quoting Reading.Rainbow:

I heard it was a great day, everyone was supportive and that people were feeling hopeful...

Take your own advice, stop listening to MSM so much. We're not as divided as they tell us.

Reading.Rainbow
by Sif on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:04 PM

You give advice all the time about how bad MSM is...

Middle English: from Old French aviser, based on Latin ad- ‘to’ + visere, frequentative of videre ‘to see.’ The original senses included ‘look at’ and ‘consider,’ hence ‘consider jointly, consult with others.’

Quoting VooDooB:

I gave advice?

Quoting Reading.Rainbow:

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this
From Fox News

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Lawmakers turned to a time-honored baseball tradition Thursday night in a bid to bridge a growing partisan divide and in the wake of Wednesday's shooting of Majority Whip Steve Scalise -- but whether the show of solidarity makes it from the Nationals Park diamond to Capitol Hill remains to be seen.

Continue Reading Below

Just hours after gunman James Hodgkinson opened fire at a quiet neighborhood baseball field in Alexandria, Va., where Republican lawmakers, aides and lobbyists were practicing for Thursday’s match-up against Democrats, partisan rhetoric reared its ugly head.

Democrats called for stricter gun-control reform while Republicans batted back calls as an assault on their 2nd Amendment rights.

But outside the stadium in Washington, D.C., there was a strong bipartisan show of support as family, friends and fans rallied around the Capitol Hill ballplayers.

Lori Saunders and her family drove more than seven hours from Charlotte, N.C. to the nation's capital for the game.

"We wouldn't miss it," she told Fox News.

Continue Reading Below

USCP Special Agent David Bailey, wounded in Wednesday's shooting, appeared on crutches to throw out the first pitch about 7:30pm before a crowd of nearly 25,000.

The Democrats won the game 11-2 and said they would put the trophy in Scalise's office, to cheers from the crowd.

Last year’s game reportedly raised $500,000 for charity.

Event organizers told Fox News that number is expected to reach more than $1 million this year. The money raised from Thursday’s game will go to four charities: The Boys and Girls Club of Greater Washington, The Capitol Police fund, The Washington Nationals Dream Foundation and The Washington Literacy Center.

Roll Call, a longtime sponsor of the annual bipartisan game, said tickets were selling at a rate of 500 per hour – and that by Thursday afternoon, more than 20,000 tickets had been sold.

Since 1909, the annual congressional baseball game has been a popular annual partisan showdown by members of Congress, their aides and lobbyists. Players usually sport the uniform of their home states and districts, although Thursday they donned Louisiana State University uniforms as a tribute to Scalise, who remains in critical condition after being shot in the hip.

Democrats wore white while Republicans were in black under their jerseys.

Among the administration officials attending were Energy Secretary Rick Perry, Budget Director Mick Mulvaney, White House Counsel Don McGahan, National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn, Counselor to the President Kellyanne Conway, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin,Labor Secretary Alex Acosta and Ivanka Trump.

President Trump did not attend Thursday’s game, although he videotaped a message in which he told those assembled, "you are showing the world that we will not be intimidated by threats, acts of violence, or assaults on our democracy."

Lawmakers pushed House leaders on Wednesday to allow the game to go forward and said the competition between the teams will continue.

“We’re not going to let incidents like this change our way of life or our routines,” Democratic coach Rep. Mike Doyle at a news conference Wednesday.

“I did tell [Republican coach Rep. Joe Barton] that I love him before the game, I love him after the game, but during the game we’re going to play to win and I know Joe’s team is going to do the same thing and charities are going to benefit.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/15/signs-unity-at-congressional-baseball-game-but-will-it-last.html
VooDooB
by on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:08 PM

I "give advice" on how bad the MSM is?

smile

Quoting Reading.Rainbow:

Middle English: from Old French aviser, based on Latin ad- ‘to’ + visere, frequentative of videre ‘to see.’ The original senses included ‘look at’ and ‘consider,’ hence ‘consider jointly, consult with others.’

Quoting VooDooB:

I gave advice?

Quoting Reading.Rainbow:

Reading.Rainbow
by Sif on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:14 PM

Yes... lol I don't know why that's weird to you.

It's not insulting or anything... anytime we say something is good/bad we are giving advice...(obviously that's highly simplified, but you get the idea)

Quoting VooDooB:

I "give advice" on how bad the MSM is?

smile

Quoting Reading.Rainbow:

Quoting VooDooB:

I gave advice?

Quoting Reading.Rainbow:

AnotherKim
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 8:26 PM
3 moms liked this

Hmmm... if there had been booing, you'd think Fox would mention it.

Quoting -Celestial-: From Fox News WASHINGTON, D.C. – Lawmakers turned to a time-honored baseball tradition Thursday night in a bid to bridge a growing partisan divide and in the wake of Wednesday's shooting of Majority Whip Steve Scalise -- but whether the show of solidarity makes it from the Nationals Park diamond to Capitol Hill remains to be seen. Continue Reading Below Just hours after gunman James Hodgkinson opened fire at a quiet neighborhood baseball field in Alexandria, Va., where Republican lawmakers, aides and lobbyists were practicing for Thursday’s match-up against Democrats, partisan rhetoric reared its ugly head. Democrats called for stricter gun-control reform while Republicans batted back calls as an assault on their 2nd Amendment rights. But outside the stadium in Washington, D.C., there was a strong bipartisan show of support as family, friends and fans rallied around the Capitol Hill ballplayers. Lori Saunders and her family drove more than seven hours from Charlotte, N.C. to the nation's capital for the game. "We wouldn't miss it," she told Fox News. Continue Reading Below USCP Special Agent David Bailey, wounded in Wednesday's shooting, appeared on crutches to throw out the first pitch about 7:30pm before a crowd of nearly 25,000. The Democrats won the game 11-2 and said they would put the trophy in Scalise's office, to cheers from the crowd. Last year’s game reportedly raised $500,000 for charity. Event organizers told Fox News that number is expected to reach more than $1 million this year. The money raised from Thursday’s game will go to four charities: The Boys and Girls Club of Greater Washington, The Capitol Police fund, The Washington Nationals Dream Foundation and The Washington Literacy Center. Roll Call, a longtime sponsor of the annual bipartisan game, said tickets were selling at a rate of 500 per hour – and that by Thursday afternoon, more than 20,000 tickets had been sold. Since 1909, the annual congressional baseball game has been a popular annual partisan showdown by members of Congress, their aides and lobbyists. Players usually sport the uniform of their home states and districts, although Thursday they donned Louisiana State University uniforms as a tribute to Scalise, who remains in critical condition after being shot in the hip. Democrats wore white while Republicans were in black under their jerseys. Among the administration officials attending were Energy Secretary Rick Perry, Budget Director Mick Mulvaney, White House Counsel Don McGahan, National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn, Counselor to the President Kellyanne Conway, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin,Labor Secretary Alex Acosta and Ivanka Trump. President Trump did not attend Thursday’s game, although he videotaped a message in which he told those assembled, "you are showing the world that we will not be intimidated by threats, acts of violence, or assaults on our democracy." Lawmakers pushed House leaders on Wednesday to allow the game to go forward and said the competition between the teams will continue. “We’re not going to let incidents like this change our way of life or our routines,” Democratic coach Rep. Mike Doyle at a news conference Wednesday. “I did tell [Republican coach Rep. Joe Barton] that I love him before the game, I love him after the game, but during the game we’re going to play to win and I know Joe’s team is going to do the same thing and charities are going to benefit.” http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/15/signs-unity-at-congressional-baseball-game-but-will-it-last.html

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Maybe. Trumps alt right and their version of MSM is sometimes too crazy for even Fox news.

I've read what they consider "legit" sources and holy hell its a whole alternate universe.

Quoting AnotherKim:

Hmmm... if there had been booing, you'd think Fox would mention it.

Quoting -Celestial-: From Fox News

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Lawmakers turned to a time-honored baseball tradition Thursday night in a bid to bridge a growing partisan divide and in the wake of Wednesday's shooting of Majority Whip Steve Scalise -- but whether the show of solidarity makes it from the Nationals Park diamond to Capitol Hill remains to be seen.

Continue Reading Below

Just hours after gunman James Hodgkinson opened fire at a quiet neighborhood baseball field in Alexandria, Va., where Republican lawmakers, aides and lobbyists were practicing for Thursday’s match-up against Democrats, partisan rhetoric reared its ugly head.

Democrats called for stricter gun-control reform while Republicans batted back calls as an assault on their 2nd Amendment rights.

But outside the stadium in Washington, D.C., there was a strong bipartisan show of support as family, friends and fans rallied around the Capitol Hill ballplayers.

Lori Saunders and her family drove more than seven hours from Charlotte, N.C. to the nation's capital for the game.

"We wouldn't miss it," she told Fox News.

Continue Reading Below

USCP Special Agent David Bailey, wounded in Wednesday's shooting, appeared on crutches to throw out the first pitch about 7:30pm before a crowd of nearly 25,000.

The Democrats won the game 11-2 and said they would put the trophy in Scalise's office, to cheers from the crowd.

Last year’s game reportedly raised $500,000 for charity.

Event organizers told Fox News that number is expected to reach more than $1 million this year. The money raised from Thursday’s game will go to four charities: The Boys and Girls Club of Greater Washington, The Capitol Police fund, The Washington Nationals Dream Foundation and The Washington Literacy Center.

Roll Call, a longtime sponsor of the annual bipartisan game, said tickets were selling at a rate of 500 per hour – and that by Thursday afternoon, more than 20,000 tickets had been sold.

Since 1909, the annual congressional baseball game has been a popular annual partisan showdown by members of Congress, their aides and lobbyists. Players usually sport the uniform of their home states and districts, although Thursday they donned Louisiana State University uniforms as a tribute to Scalise, who remains in critical condition after being shot in the hip.

Democrats wore white while Republicans were in black under their jerseys.

Among the administration officials attending were Energy Secretary Rick Perry, Budget Director Mick Mulvaney, White House Counsel Don McGahan, National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn, Counselor to the President Kellyanne Conway, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin,Labor Secretary Alex Acosta and Ivanka Trump.

President Trump did not attend Thursday’s game, although he videotaped a message in which he told those assembled, "you are showing the world that we will not be intimidated by threats, acts of violence, or assaults on our democracy."

Lawmakers pushed House leaders on Wednesday to allow the game to go forward and said the competition between the teams will continue.

“We’re not going to let incidents like this change our way of life or our routines,” Democratic coach Rep. Mike Doyle at a news conference Wednesday.

“I did tell [Republican coach Rep. Joe Barton] that I love him before the game, I love him after the game, but during the game we’re going to play to win and I know Joe’s team is going to do the same thing and charities are going to benefit.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/06/15/signs-unity-at-congressional-baseball-game-but-will-it-last.html

ILive4This
by Robin on Jun. 19, 2017 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sure the Washington Times is giving a true account of what happened.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)