Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Same stuff -- different story -- is it always bad to read someone else's text messages?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 10:16 AM
  • 10 Replies

Remember when the woman was fat shamed on the flight and she found out because she read the text messages of the man sitting beside her?  He was actively texting her as he sat beside her?  That brought on the discussion of whether there was any expectation of privacy when texting in public, especially in confined spaces...like an airplane. 

Well, it's happened again -- someone else read someone's texts on a plane.  And even took pictures of the texts and then shared them.  

U.S.

Plane passenger spots man texting about sex abuse of kids

PAUL ELIAS,Associated Press 17 hours ago 
by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I think when you're in public, you have no expectation of privacy. I do think it's rude to try and read someone's text when they're trying to keep it hidden or listen to someone's conversation when they're trying to whisper. It seems like this guy was the equivalent of a loud customer that half the restaurant can hear.
joyful.noise
by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

People texting on their phones should expect others to occasionally glimpse their screens or read it over their shoulders or at a side glance. There is no such thing as personal space in a public location or on mass transportation. 

couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 10:31 AM
There is no expectation of privacy in public.

I'm glad that bastard was caught and I'm glad that other asshole got told off.
K3412
by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree that there's no real expectation of privacy while texting in public. However, it is rude to purposefully attempt to read someone's messages in public. The liklihood that you would uncover a crime like in this story is minute; obviously it worked out for the better in this case, but that's unlikely to happen frequently. Usually it's just rude.

billsfan1104
by Ruby Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 10:33 AM

I think there is a difference between this and the other lady.  The other lady had no right to publicly go after the man, because he wasnt doing anything to break the law. 

This situation, the guy texting was breaking the law. 

But I often wonder, if this is going to become a common occurance, where people will feel the right to invade someone elses personal space. 

momof2555
by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 10:33 AM

wow! what an idiot to be texting about that and of course soooo glad he was and that woman read them and alerted the authorities! what a piece of sh*t!!

couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Aug. 4, 2017 at 10:35 AM
Privacy and personal space are different, IMO

Quoting billsfan1104:

I think there is a difference between this and the other lady.  The other lady had no right to publicly go after the man, because he wasnt doing anything to break the law. 

But I often wonder, if this is going to become a common occurance, where people will feel the right to invade someone elses personal space. 

HOT4TCHR
by Member on Aug. 4, 2017 at 10:38 AM

Sounds to me like he wanted to be seen.  

And regardless of the degree of rudeness on my part, if it's close enough that I can read it, I will read it.  It's not something I can turn off.  

Don't text while driving.

---Janice---

joyful.noise
by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 10:45 AM

Absolutely. 

I think the lady on the plane should have called him out without recording the incident. Not for nothing that guy was a jerk.

Quoting billsfan1104:

iwashere
by on Aug. 4, 2017 at 10:56 AM
I must need new glasses. I can barely read my own phone, let alone the phone in front of me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)