Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

People Outraged To Learn About Malia Obama's Gang Arrest - There's Just One Tiny Problem

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 5:44 AM
  • 63 Replies

Mobile Photo

People Outraged To Learn About Malia Obama's Gang Arrest - There's Just One Tiny Problem

Many have fallen for a fake news story which claimed that former First Daughter Malia Obama was arrested in connection with a gang bust in Chicago.

According to AOL, a fake news story was published on the satirical conservative website The Last Line of Defense. The story claimed that Malia Obama, the daughter of former President Barack Obama, was arrested in connection with a gang bust for drugs and dog fighting after "slipping away" from Secret Service protection to attend a party at a park in Chicago.

The article reads, in part:

Malia Obama may have done irreparable harm to her career this morning when she decided to join a gang of thugs in Chicago for a day of drinking, drugs and dogfighting at a public park in Chicago. Malia was arrested along with seven others and charged with wanton endangerment of animals, public intoxication and possession of a controlled substance.

She was found in the company of mostly older men when police arrived after being called by a concerned citizen complaining about a loud group of people watching dogs fight in the park.

The article cited a fake witness, who was quoted as saying: "They was all just right out there in the open drinking and letting their dogs go at it. I saw some smoking weed. Some were doing other things I don't know. All those dudes had that baggy pants thing. They weren't the types of people you'd expect that girl to be with."

The story began to spread on social media, but was quickly disproven. As Snopes notes, The Last Line of Defense's website includes a disclaimer which discloses that the site is "satirical."

The disclaimer reads:

DISCLAIMER: The Resistance may include information from sources that may or may not be reliable and facts that don’t necessarily exist. All articles should be considered satirical and any and all quotes attributed to actual people complete and total baloney. Pictures that represent actual people should be considered altered and not in any way real.

The story has been proven to be completely baseless, and the photo that was used in it turned out to be a doctored mugshot grab from a dogfighting bust in 2013.

According to AOL, Malia Obama has recently been spotted on numerous occasions in New York City, where she is working as an intern.

"This is horrible," one reader commented. "Politicians kids should be off limits anything like this. Leave this young lady alone."

"You said it yourself, it's a conservative entertainment site," another user wrote. "They don't claim to be news. It's for entertainment just like the tonight show!"

Sources: AOL, Snopes, The Last Line of Defense, Newsiosity/Facebook /

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/politics/people-outraged-learn-about-malia-obamas-gang-arrest-theres-just-one-tiny-problem
by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 5:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Aug. 8, 2017 at 5:46 AM
2 moms liked this
Some rightwinger posted the gang article on facebook swearing it was true. Could not talk any damn sense into him.
I showed him this article and he considers fake news.

Smh
LGAll65215
by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 5:49 AM
2 moms liked this
This is disturbing--what makes people do such evil things? The lies are sick and the liars deserve punishment.
She has been working in NYC as an intern and doing well .
Kids should be off limits.

(I suppose a few conservatives will hope it's true though because nobody is off limits when it comes to the Obama family. They'll be overjoyed at first and probably disappointed after seeing the proof that it was all a big lie .)
LGAll65215
by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:21 AM
2 moms liked this
They love this kind of garbage . There's something wrong with many right wingers, obviously. ( especially the Birthers )

Quoting -Celestial-: Some rightwinger posted the gang article on facebook swearing it was true. Could not talk any damn sense into him.
I showed him this article and he considers fake news.

Smh
romalove
by Roma on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:25 AM
9 moms liked this

I wouldn't be reposting this.

I think if something is demonstrably fake, like this is, reposting it gives it a chance to spread, even if you have a disclaimer on it.

Just like the guy you can't talk sense to, you're going to have others who will read this here, since you posted it, who will also not be sensible about it.

billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:28 AM
2 moms liked this
I have not seen one of my Conservative friends post this and I never heard of this story.
Funny how one of your so-called right winger friends posted this and believes it.
if she was truly arrested, the liberal press will report it, but they would barely report it. They would give the family privacy as they should, unlike what they did to the Bush twins, when they were caught for underage drinking.
I do not care who the kids are, they are off limits. Very off limits. I do not know why people don't get this.
billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:30 AM
I wonder if the same people who viciously attacked BMorioles, even though she made a disclaimer and said it was fake over and over, will viciously go after the OP for still posting the story even with the disclaimer, and doing the exact same thing that BMorioles did.
billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 6:31 AM
Every single part of this is a lie.

Quoting LGAll65215: This is disturbing--what makes people do such evil things? The lies are sick and the liars deserve punishment.

(I suppose a few conservatives will hope it's true though because nobody is off limits when it comes to the Obama family. They'll be overjoyed at first and probably disappointed after seeing the proof that it was all a big lie .)
Carpy
by Emerald Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Of course.

Quoting LGAll65215: This is disturbing--what makes people do such evil things? The lies are sick and the liars deserve punishment.

Debmomto2teens
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 7:33 AM
6 moms liked this
This. If people would stop posting and spreading fake news, maybe this bullshit of fake news would stop.

Quoting romalove:

I wouldn't be reposting this.

I think if something is demonstrably fake, like this is, reposting it gives it a chance to spread, even if you have a disclaimer on it.

Just like the guy you can't talk sense to, you're going to have others who will read this here, since you posted it, who will also not be sensible about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)