Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

USDA office bans phrase ‘climate change’ from use — this is why

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 9:08 AM
  • 9 Replies

The Guardian reported on Monday that officials at a USDA (U.S. Department of Agriculture) office have been told not to use the term "climate change" any longer, substituting "weather extremes" for the hot-button phrase instead.

In emails obtained by The Guardian, USDA officials reportedly told employees that it's time to change the conversation about climate change.

In addition to "climate change" morphing into "weather extremes," "climate change adaption" would be considered "resilience to weather."

According to The Guardian's report, Bianca Moebius-Clune - the Natural Resource Conservation's director of soil health - the modeling of rising temperatures won't change, simply the wording.

"We won't change the modeling, just how we talk about it," Moebius-Clune said in a staff email obtained by the publication.

According to The Guardian, an official within the USDA claimed that the new direction was set to be more palatable to the Trump administration and within the administration's agricultural interests.

Jimmy Bramblett, NRCS's deputy chief for programs, wrote staff and said, "It has become clear one of the previous administration's priorities is not consistent with that of the incoming administration. Namely, that priority is climate change."

President Trump in July tapped Sam Clovis to be the USDA's chief scientist. Clovis, a radio host and Air Force veteran, has been openly - and "extremely" - skeptical of the science behind the climate change theory.

Trump himself showed what he thought of climate change when he announced in June that the United States would be withdrawing from the Paris Accord climate agreement.

The Paris Accord was opened for signature on Earth Day 2016, and to date, representatives of 195 countries worldwide have signed the accord.

The agreement went into effect in November 2016 and addresses and analyzes greenhouse gas emissions and is set to "combat climate change and adapt to its effec

by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Aug. 8, 2017 at 9:10 AM
5 moms liked this
According to The Guardian, an official within the USDA claimed that the new direction was set to be more palatable to the Trump administration and within the administration's agricultural interests

Lol. Had to dumb it way down for trumpf

msb64
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 9:11 AM
2 moms liked this

Reminds me of George Carlin.  I miss him.

meriana
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 11:31 AM

Changing what something is called or how it is referred to can and does change people's perception. Climate change sounds permanent while weather extreme tends to sound more like an exception to the norm that probably won't occur again. To change peoples mind about something, one first has to change their perception of it and changing how the way in which something is referred to, or what it's called can go a long ways towards that goal.

Trumps nominee for the position of Undersecretary of Research, Education, and Economics for the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, is Sam Clovis. This would make Mr. Clovis the chief scientist for the USDA, the group responsible for food safety, nutrition, agricultural and natural resources yet the man is not a scientist, not even close.

https://www.propublica.org/article/trumps-expected-pick-for-top-usda-scientist-is-not-a-scientist

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/opinion-la/la-ol-sam-clovis-blog-scientist-20170803-story.html

KittyMom1026
by Scorpio on Aug. 8, 2017 at 11:35 AM
2 moms liked this

They can ban it all they want but it doesn't change the fact that it's exactly what it is.

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 11:44 AM

laughing

Seriously this is hysterical. TRUMP is destroying liberals by using their own rules against them. 

joyfree
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2017 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this
He is not destroying a thing except his credibility and that of the Republican party.

I would not be yukking it up if I were ypu.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

laughing

Seriously this is hysterical. TRUMP is destroying liberals by using their own rules against them. 

Reading.Rainbow
by Sif on Aug. 8, 2017 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Liberals are fine...

He's destroying the Environment that your children are going to have to live in.

It's beyond me why you don't care... But so be it.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

laughing

LGAll65215
by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 12:13 PM
I do too.
Can you imagine all the witty and intelligent things he would say about Trump?
😔

Quoting msb64:

Reminds me of George Carlin.  I miss him.

LGAll65215
by on Aug. 8, 2017 at 12:15 PM
Yah
She thinks the weirdest things are funny. Derp

Quoting joyfree: He is not destroying a thing except his credibility and that of the Republican party.

I would not be yukking it up if I were ypu.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

laughing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)