Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you racist?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2017 at 7:11 PM
  • 36 Replies

Spinning off my transphobia post, do you feel having a "preference" towards a particular skin color makes you racist or a bigot, when it comes to attraction? Why or Why not?

by on Aug. 12, 2017 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eliptica24
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2017 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

No. this is why:

rac·ism
ˈrāˌsizəm/
noun
  1. prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

I have preferences to people of certain ethnicities that I tend to be more attracted to but never because i feel more superior or another is. For example, I tend to be attracted to olive complected people more then extremely dark skinned people. am i ONLY attracted to that particular skin color? nah. there are people from india, african decent, so on that individually i have been attracted to but as a whole its not generally a group or groups of people i am naturally attracted to.

of course i dont base my interest based of their skin but their personality of course but looks play a part for everyone to some degree in initial attraction. this doesnt make me racist.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2017 at 7:48 PM
I say racist things sometimes but I am not racist person in general. I would never pass judgement on an individual but, like most people, in engage in casual stereotyping.
PamR
by Ruby Member on Aug. 12, 2017 at 7:52 PM

Quoting UpSheRises: I say racist things sometimes but I am not racist person in general. I would never pass judgement on an individual but, like most people, in engage in casual stereotyping.

Why do you say racist things if you aren't a racist?  What kind of things are you talking about?

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2017 at 8:19 PM
Most people say racist things. Some examples of things I can remember recently:

A friend was complaining about not being able to find a decent bagel in her neighborhood and I told her to go to a city with more Jews.

I also recently said, "only black people eat there" when discussing Popeyes Chicken".

Planning lunch for a playgroup "Do you think the Spanish speakers will be offended if we have a taco bar?"

Quoting PamR:

Quoting UpSheRises: I say racist things sometimes but I am not racist person in general. I would never pass judgement on an individual but, like most people, in engage in casual stereotyping.

Why do you say racist things if you aren't a racist?  What kind of things are you talking about?

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2017 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Skin color has no bearing on whether I'm attracted to someone or not...
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Aug. 12, 2017 at 8:27 PM
What do you mean by 'racist person in general'? Does that mean that usually you aren't racist, but can be?

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Aug. 12, 2017 at 8:30 PM
I would never pass judgement on an individual but, like most people, in engage in casual stereotyping.

Quoting LucyMom08: What do you mean by 'racist person in general'? Does that mean that usually you aren't racist, but can be?

eliptica24
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2017 at 8:34 PM

uh... casual stereotyping? and occassionally racist? >.< explan how that doesnt make you racist if you are saying racist shit

eliptica24
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2017 at 8:37 PM

uh maybe where you are from. where i am from you are either saying racist shit bc you are racist, or bc you are an ignorant teen who has shit parents who dont teach you that shit is innapropriate. wow.... technically jew isnt a race its a religion unless youa re talking about jews from israel which arent significant in the US. i would have slapped you. that is completely unfunny and bigotted. you are racist dear but you are the kind of racist that its normative for you. are you from the south? hows that for stereotyping.

Quoting UpSheRises: Most people say racist things. Some examples of things I can remember recently: A friend was complaining about not being able to find a decent bagel in her neighborhood and I told her to go to a city with more Jews. I also recently said, "only black people eat there" when discussing Popeyes Chicken". Planning lunch for a playgroup "Do you think the Spanish speakers will be offended if we have a taco bar?"
Quoting PamR:

Manic_Sinner
by Member on Aug. 12, 2017 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this
No, I'm not racist and nothing is wrong with having a preference.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)