Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So Clever! If you think Neo-Nazis are lame, read this

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2017 at 9:02 PM
  • 23 Replies
3 moms liked this
This German city turned a neo-Nazi rally into a positive cause.

Twitter user CleveJones1 recently shared the real-life story about the annual neo-Nazi marches held in the small town of Wunsiedel, the birthplace of Adolf Hitler's deputy, Rudolf Hess. As the story goes, each year hundreds of neo-Nazis gather to walk the city streets holding symbols of neo-Nazism, causing residents to feel hopeless.

In 2014, several sponsors in the area came up with the clever solution to turn the hateful marches into an "involuntary walkathon" with all proceeds going to support programs that fight against Nazis. For every participant who completes the walk, money is raised against their own ideology. Genius, right?
But the sponsors didn't just stop there. At these annual marches, motivational signs are hung and bananas are provided throughout the route to encourage the neo-Nazis to complete their walk, resulting in even more money raised by each participant. At the end of the march, the neo-Nazis also receive a certificate detailing exactly how much many they donated to anti-Nazi organizations.

Quoted from:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/clever-way-1-german-city-214521718.html
by on Aug. 17, 2017 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MindyMichelle
by Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 12:32 AM
I've never bumped my own post before, but this is a cool article. I'd love to hear if you all like it too.
AnotherKim
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 12:35 AM

That's a great idea! Can you imagine doing that to KKK members?

MindyMichelle
by Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I know!!! It just made me so happy to think that something that was meant for evil was used for good!

Quoting AnotherKim:

That's a great idea! Can you imagine doing that to KKK members?

pdxmum
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 1:31 AM
I just read it and posted to Facebook!

Quoting MindyMichelle: I've never bumped my own post before, but this is a cool article. I'd love to hear if you all like it too.
MindyMichelle
by Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 2:27 AM
Great article. Thanks for sharing.
I loved this part:

"In 2012, a “white power” march in Charlotte, N.C., was met with counterprotesters dressed as clowns. They held signs reading “wife power” and threw “white flour” into the air.

“The message from us is, ‘You look silly,’ ” a coordinator told the local news channel. “We’re dressed like clowns, and you’re the ones that look funny.”

By undercutting the gravitas white supremacists are trying to accrue, humorous counterprotests may blunt the events’ usefulness for recruitment. Brawling with bandanna-clad antifas may seem romantic to some disaffected young men, but being mocked by clowns?" 🤡

Quoting pdxmum: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/08/17/opinion/how-to-make-fun-of-nazis.html
MindyMichelle
by Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 9:38 AM
😆

Quoting pdxmum: I just read it and posted to Facebook!

Quoting MindyMichelle: I've never bumped my own post before, but this is a cool article. I'd love to hear if you all like it too.
SRUsarahSC
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 9:40 AM
Bahahahaaa!!!
MindyMichelle
by Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 9:41 AM
I know, right!

Quoting SRUsarahSC: Bahahahaaa!!!
Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 9:44 AM
Except American nazis may be too lazy to walk. They like to just rattle their sabres and tiki torches while crying about losing their racist heritage. Maybe a whine-a-thon would work better here???
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)