Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is your street named after a confederate soldier?

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2017 at 11:51 AM
  • 99 Replies

Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR) Resolution Template Requesting the Removal of All Confederate Memorials, Flags, Street Names, and Symbols from Public Spaces and Property

Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR) Resolution Template

[Official Body]

[Resolution #]

Requesting the Removal of All Confederate Memorials, Flags, Street Names, and Symbols from Public Spaces and Property

-----------------------------------------------

August XX, 2017

Requesting the Removal of All Confederate Memorials, Flags, Street Names, and Symbols from Public Spaces and Property

• Whereas the preservation of these memorials validates the subjugation experienced by African-Americans due to their size, prominent placement and public display;
  • Whereas the investments and arrangement made to recognize Confederate figures communicates core beliefs that promote the endurance of white supremacy and racism;
  • Whereas every Confederate memorial, flag, street name, and symbol proclaims the injustices and suffering experienced by African-Americans as insignificant and dismissible;
  • Whereas every Confederate memorial, flag, street name, and symbol commemorates and honors those who fought to enslave African-Americans;
  • Whereas every Confederate memorial, flag, street name, and symbol diminishes the numerous contributions and services African-Americans made, and continue to make, to the United States;
  • Whereas every Confederate memorial, flag, street name, and symbol celebrates individuals who campaigned against giving African-Americans their rights and liberty;
  • Whereas every public symbol that references the Confederacy in the United States glorifies individuals who sought to divide the nation and preserve white supremacy;
  • Whereas the removal of all memorials, flags, street names, and symbols of Confederacy from public spaces and property reaffirms to the public, especially African-Americans and other minority groups, that we do not endorse the ideals these objects represent;
  • Whereas the removal of all public references to the Confederacy would respect the entitlement of African-Americans and others to equal protection of their civil and human rights;

Resolved, that the [official body]—

• moves all Confederate memorials, flags, street names, and symbols from public spaces and property to museums where they are not glorified and solely used for historical, analytical and educational purposes.

changes all streets and institutions named after Confederates to honor the names of African-American and other civil rights leaders.

https://www.cair.com/requesting-the-removal-of-all-confederate-memorials-flags-street-names-and-symbols-from-public-spaces-and-property

by on Aug. 18, 2017 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
billsfan1104
by Emerald Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 11:53 AM
9 moms liked this

Why didnt they do all of this when Obama was president?

Lady_Facetious
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 11:54 AM
Nope. I did at one time live on a street named Lee, but it's namesake was not Robert E Lee.
VooDooB
by on Aug. 18, 2017 at 11:55 AM

It will probably still be triggering.

Quoting Lady_Facetious: Nope. I did at one time live on a street named Lee, but it's namesake was not Robert E Lee.

lwalker270
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 11:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm not sure where you're going here...

Quoting billsfan1104:

The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

lwalker270
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 11:59 AM

No, I've never lived on a road named after a Confederate soldier.  There is a main road near my mom's house nicknamed Jubal Anderson Early Highway because his troops marched through that area.  

msb64
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 12:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I was reading an article this morning about the naming Jefferson Davis highway.  Last night I was reading about schools that are named after Confederates are predominantly attended by black students.

I would have absolutely no problem with streets and schools being renamed.

Lady_Facetious
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 12:03 PM
3 moms liked this
Well we don't name streets after Hitler, Mussolini, Hirohito or their minions, why should we glorify these particular enemies of the State?

Quoting VooDooB:

It will probably still be triggering.

Quoting Lady_Facetious: Nope. I did at one time live on a street named Lee, but it's namesake was not Robert E Lee.

Lady_Facetious
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 12:04 PM
3 moms liked this
I have never understood glorifying enemies of the State.

Quoting msb64:

I was reading an article this morning about the naming Jefferson Davis highway.  Last night I was reading about schools that are named after Confederates are predominantly attended by black students.

I would have absolutely no problem with streets and schools being renamed.

ShaMac
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 12:07 PM
I don't believe we have any where I live.
Matboxcards
by Member on Aug. 18, 2017 at 12:11 PM
I thought that she was saying the fact that he's black, he could have lent some much needed legitimacy to the removal of some of these statues, at least. I bet we wouldn't be seeing the uproar we are right now if we had a President that understood what they represented, could verbalize that and firmly supported the cause.

Quoting lwalker270:

I'm not sure where you're going here...

Quoting billsfan1104:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)