Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teamwork! Tampa Bay sports teams announce they are picking up the tab to move Confederate monument

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2017 at 12:23 AM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this
Confederate monument at Hillsborough County Courthouse
Take a good look—this statue is being moved

A Confederate memorial statue outside the downtown courthouse may not be going anywhere after all. One month after voting to relocate it, county commissioners set a one-month deadline for finding money to move it.

The commission voted 4-2 in July to allow the Florida Daughters of the Confederacy to relocate the monument to the Brandon Family Cemetery.  The motion passed largely due to a pledge to use only private funds to move the statue – not taxpayer money.

But private fundraising has failed to come close to raising the remaining $140,000 -- of an estimated $280,000 -- needed to move the statue, and now commissioners have set a deadline.  If the money isn’t raised within 30 days, the statue may not be going anywhere.

That shortfall prompted coaching legend Tony Dungy to kick in, with the Tampa Bay teams picking up the rest of the tab. Teamwork!

by on Aug. 19, 2017 at 12:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AnotherKim
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2017 at 1:03 AM
2 moms liked this

Good.

GaleJ
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2017 at 2:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you Lauren and Tony Dungy!
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Aug. 19, 2017 at 11:55 AM
I like that this is a team effort and that they are moving the monument to a place it can be appreciated in the proper context.
nikabear
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2017 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Very proud of my city!!!
nb34
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2017 at 12:12 PM

Good for them! Love it :)

PPCLC
by Lisa on Aug. 19, 2017 at 12:14 PM

I love this! 

Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2017 at 12:16 PM
Good news for all involved.
Sparkles4Lui
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2017 at 1:42 PM
Good deal! I hope this sets an example for other cities.
BmoreRavens
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2017 at 1:56 PM

It's a nice gesture, but removing these statues will not change a thing. The statues are mute; the hate groups will not be silenced by relocating the statues. The money would have been better spent to educate; not appeasing those who wanted the statues taken down. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)