Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Asian-American doctor says white nationalists refuse her care

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2017 at 6:36 PM
  • 55 Replies

Asian-American doctor says white nationalists refuse her care

• Oregon physician Esther Choo shared her experience in a viral Twitter thread
  • She says many doctors consider dealing with prejudice as a 'routine part of our jobs'

(CNN) Dr. Esther Choo is an Asian-American emergency room physician who has practiced medicine for more than a decade. Yet, she says, a few times a year, a patient will refuse to let her treat them. Solely because of her race.

Choo, who works in Oregon, first shared her experience of dealing with racist patients who shun her care in a viral Twitter thread last Sunday.
"The conversation usually goes like this. Me: 'I understand your viewpoint. I trained at elite institutions & have been practicing for 15 years. You are welcome to refuse care under my hands, but I feel confident that I am the most qualified to care for you. Especially since the alternative is an intern.' And they invariably pick the intern, as long as they are white. Or they leave," she wrote in successive tweets.
    "I used to cycle through disbelief, shame, anger. Now I just show compassion and move on," she added.
    Choo's tweets, in which she noted that there were "a lot of white nationalists in Oregon," came a day after a counterprotester was killed following a violent white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.
    And Choo's experience of intolerance is not unique in the medical community, she told CNN's Christi Paul on Saturday.
    "What I'm hearing from my colleagues is that this is a daily occurrence for many of them, at least experiences of prejudice. The patient who outright refuses care is less common, but I definitely heard from a lot of people this week that they have also had that exact same experience," she said.
    Patient prejudice towards doctors is now so common that many medical professionals "consider it a routine part of our jobs," Choo emphasized.
    "Maybe it's that they're from another country or because of their religious beliefs or their sexual orientation or their gender. But I'm hearing it from a lot of physicians that this is not unusual," she described.
    Asked by Paul whether she had ever been able to change a patient's mind after they initially refused treatment from her, Choo said that it was rare.
    "A few times I've been able to talk patients into receiving care from me. Or we can negotiate some sort of compromise where they will be seen by maybe a resident physician who is white, and I'm still guiding care, but I don't actually enter the room," she said.

"Usually you cannot. I've found in my experience that you cannot talk people out of their ideology," she added.

by on Aug. 19, 2017 at 6:36 PM
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Replies (1-10):
    bluefirewolf
    by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 2:07 AM
    1 mom liked this

I hope that sometimes she and the other minority group doctors are the only ones there at the time these shitlers need the most help  - she is far more compassionate then I would ever be - there are always other patients that need care and those are the ones I would care for

billsfan1104
    by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 2:27 AM
    They should have taught her in medical school that there will be people who don't want a doctor or someone for a variety of reasons and not to take it personal.
    Patients don't want certain doctors for a variety reasons from some being a woman or a man or a Hispanic or white. I heard all sorts of things before in an ER. One guy didn't want any black person touching him and a black woman didn't want the white man touching her.
    There are some people who want only certain people treating them too.
    It's their choice.
    turtle68
    by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 20, 2017 at 3:33 AM
    1 mom liked this

I call bullshit.  But it sounds good :-)

Quoting billsfan1104: They should have taught her in medical school that there will be people who don't want a doctor or someone for a variety of reasons and not to take it personal. Patients don't want certain doctors for a variety reasons from some being a woman or a man or a Hispanic or white. I heard all sorts of things before in an ER. One guy didn't want any black person touching him and a black woman didn't want the white man touching her. There are some people who want only certain people treating them too. It's their choice.

joyfree
    by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 4:33 AM
    2 moms liked this
    You think that they don't teach that they might face prejudice in medical school?

I think "they" do.

It's also the offended patient's choice to die, also. Idiots.

Quoting billsfan1104: They should have taught her in medical school that there will be people who don't want a doctor or someone for a variety of reasons and not to take it personal.
    Patients don't want certain doctors for a variety reasons from some being a woman or a man or a Hispanic or white. I heard all sorts of things before in an ER. One guy didn't want any black person touching him and a black woman didn't want the white man touching her.
    It's their choice.
    Dardenella
    by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 4:50 AM

So?  Then they do not get care from this doctor.  Their choice. And their loss of care.

I have dismissed perhaps 2 doctors in all my life and  it was simply because I could not understand a word they were saying.

I really don'tget her crap.  Who are they hurting?  Themselves.   The last time I checked you can request a different doctor or nurse to care for you in any hospital and you can change practices if you do not like the doctor for whatever reason.

I will also say this, healthcare is high enough that people should not always accept the luck of the draw.

Quakercaoimhe
    by Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 5:00 AM
    2 moms liked this

Considering the fact that white men have a history of enslaving, raping, and forcibly sterilising black women, it makes sense. 

There's a pretty big difference than being afraid and untrusting and being racist and shitty.

Quoting billsfan1104: They should have taught her in medical school that there will be people who don't want a doctor or someone for a variety of reasons and not to take it personal. Patients don't want certain doctors for a variety reasons from some being a woman or a man or a Hispanic or white. I heard all sorts of things before in an ER. One guy didn't want any black person touching him and a black woman didn't want the white man touching her. There are some people who want only certain people treating them too. It's their choice.

newlife1214
    by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 8:07 AM
    1 mom liked this
    I am sure they do! Probably a whole semester on how to deal with patients!
    People can be so strange!

Quoting billsfan1104: They should have taught her in medical school that there will be people who don't want a doctor or someone for a variety of reasons and not to take it personal.
    It's their choice.
    Debmomto2teens
    by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 8:17 AM
    5 moms liked this
    It isn't amazing how she has an experience to counter everything she doesn't agree with.

Quoting turtle68:

I call bullshit.  But it sounds good :-)

Patients don't want certain doctors for a variety reasons from some being a woman or a man or a Hispanic or white. I heard all sorts of things before in an ER. One guy didn't want any black person touching him and
    a black woman didn't want the white man touching her.
    It's their choice.

Debmomto2teens
    by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 8:18 AM
    4 moms liked this
    Of course they are taught it. She has a right to be upset but can't do anything about it. Let the bigots die.. their choice.

Quoting joyfree: You think that they don't teach that they might face prejudice in medical school?

I think "they" do.

It's also the offended patient's choice to die, also. Idiots.

It's their choice.
    princessmara
    by Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 8:27 AM
    It is a patient's right to get care from a doctor they are comfortable with. I am a rape survivor and I decline treatment from males.
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)