Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Search and Rescue Underway

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2017 at 8:43 PM
  • 9 Replies
USS John S. McCain collides with merchant ship
Everett Rosenfeld | @Ev_Rosenfeld
Published 42 Mins Ago
| Updated 18 Mins Ago
CNBC.com
The USS John S. McCain conducts a patrol in the South China Sea, Jan. 22, 2017, while supporting security efforts in the region.
Courtesy U.S. Navy | Navy Petty Officer 3rd Class James Vazquez
The USS John S. McCain conducts a patrol in the South China Sea, Jan. 22, 2017, while supporting security efforts in the region.
Search and rescue efforts were underway Monday morning after the USS John S. McCain collided with a merchant ship, the U.S. 7th Fleet said in a notice.
The ship, a guided-missile destroyer, was involved in the collision while on its way to Singapore for a routine port visit, the notice said. The incident happened east of Singapore and the Strait of Malacca, the 7th Fleet said.
The note also said initial reports indicated the destroyer sustained damage to its port side.
by on Aug. 20, 2017 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
msb64
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 8:50 PM
2 moms liked this

How horrible for everyone, particularly for families awaiting news.  Thoughts with the crew of both ships.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 20, 2017 at 8:51 PM
4 moms liked this

How on earth are these Destroyers crashing into merchant ships?  Is there something wrong with the navigation on the Destroyers.  One is an accident...two...not so much.

:-(  

SeanandNoahsmom
by Dawn on Aug. 20, 2017 at 8:56 PM
2 moms liked this
Saying a prayer that all on board are found and rescued safely, and that this was in fact an accident.
Btamilee2753
by Lee on Aug. 20, 2017 at 9:39 PM

Hoping that everyone on board is safe.  Prayers to all involved.

msb64
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 10:05 PM

Cindy & I are keeping America's sailors aboard the USS John S McCain in our prayers tonight - appreciate the work of search & rescue crews

AnotherKim
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 11:52 PM

Oh no! Keeping them in my prayers, too.

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Aug. 21, 2017 at 9:53 AM
Hope every one is safe..

but...

Don't our ships have radar? Binoculars?
bluefirewolf
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 4:26 PM

I wonder this too - it's horrible

Quoting turtle68:

How on earth are these Destroyers crashing into merchant ships?  Is there something wrong with the navigation on the Destroyers.  One is an accident...two...not so much.

:-(  

LancesMom
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 6:13 PM

That's what my son said.

I had told him it appears it was human error for the Fitzgerald, and he said, "How? We have sonar and tons of radar?? I just don't get it. Why is this happening again?"

(He has done these types of watch on a carrier, but is now stationed on a base overseas.)

Quoting -Celestial-: Hope every one is safe.. but... Don't our ships have radar? Binoculars?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)