Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tenn. Teen Paints Racial Slur on Pastor’s Car, Says ‘It Wasn’t Supposed to Be Racist’

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2017 at 9:55 AM
  • 85 Replies

Mobile Photo

A Tennessee teenager is apologizing after painting a racial slur on two cars, including one vehicle belonging to a local pastor, insisting that “it wasn’t supposed to be racist.”

The 13-year-old, who is in middle school, was arrested after the incident, expelled from school and now faces charges of vandalism, as well as a felony charge of civil rights intimidation, in the Shelby County Juvenile Court. He and another juvenile (who faces the same charges) stand accused of tagging two cars with the slurs. However, he still wanted to speak about the incident and explain how it began.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I regret it so much. I want to say I am sorry to the pastor and to the other person,” the teen, who remains unidentified, told Fox13. “I didn’t mean to put anybody through this. I never did, and I feel so bad.

“I have learned to never mess with anyone racially or do anything to that stupid extent, or do anything bad. I should just stick to school and be a good kid,” the teen added.

When asked why such a thought would even enter his head, the teen said it was meant to be funny, not racist.

“It was just something stupid that we thought would be funny, but it didn’t turn out to be funny at all,” he said. “It wasn’t supposed to be racist.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Mitchell, who is the pastor of Perfecting Love Community Church, found his car vandalized after parking his vehicle in the parking lot of Collierville High School on Sunday. When he returned to his vehicle, he found “Fuck Niggers” painted on the back of his SUV. He posted about the damage to his car on Sunday, quipping, “Y’all believe it’s real yet?!?!”

The 13-year-old’s father, who says he is furious and embarrassed by his son’s actions, said that his son sometimes makes bad decisions, but echoed that he is not racist.

“My son is not a racist. Sometimes he makes bad decisions, and this was the worst decision he has made in his life so far,” said the father, who also declined to be identified.

http://www.theroot.com/tenn-teen-paints-racial-slur-on-pastors-car-says-it-w-1797971325
by on Aug. 21, 2017 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nb34
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 10:01 AM
4 moms liked this

All of these cowards pretend to regret their despicable actions after they get caught. Go figure.

EmilyH87
by Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 10:08 AM
I really can't even articulate a proper reaction to this. Good god. "Wasn't supposed to be racist." Fucking NO.
M4LG5
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this

I know middle schoolers make bad decisions and, especially during these times, they do things to get "likes" or attention even if its negative.  BUT for him to think that painting something THAT derogatory tells me that he has not been taught the significance and impact of that word enough OR he actually believes he can say those things. 

lovemercygrace
by on Aug. 21, 2017 at 11:52 AM

wasnt suppose to be racist? REALLY? Someone needs to teach that child some manners..

lovemercygrace
by on Aug. 21, 2017 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting M4LG5:

I know middle schoolers make bad decisions and, especially during these times, they do things to get "likes" or attention even if its negative.  BUT for him to think that painting something like THAT derogatory tells me that he has not been taught the significance and impact of that word enough OR he actually believes he can say those things. 

I would look at home, that is probably where he learned it. 

numbr1wmn
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 11:54 AM

He was 13 and paying for it. This is not an adults.  What he did was wrong

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 11:56 AM
2 moms liked this
"My baby is really a good boy, he didnt mean it"

Wtf. I would feel like the biggest failure as a parent that my kid felt it would ever be ok to do something like this....and then do it.
This is more than a bad decision. This is epically repugnant behavior.
Hope that he gets the fullest extent of the law thrown at him. Plus community service.
Rhiannon1980
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 11:56 AM
Wow that is all I can say.
Sparkles4Lui
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 12:07 PM
Are his parents paying for a private attorney or are the taxpayers paying for a public defender?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

numbr1wmn
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 12:09 PM

Its up to them.

Quoting Sparkles4Lui: Are his parents paying for a private attorney or are the taxpayers paying for a public defender?
Quoting numbr1wmn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)