Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trump Cares More About Punishing His Critics Than Fighting Domestic Terrorism

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2017 at 4:01 PM
  • 18 Replies

Trump Cares More About Punishing His Critics Than Fighting Domestic Terrorism

In the relatively brief time Jeff Sessions has led the U.S. Department of Justice, he has established a curious — and troubling — set of priorities for the country’s top law enforcement bodies.

Among these has been Sessions’ intent to revive the so-called War on Drugs – and with it, the archaic youth drug use prevention campaign, D.A.R.E. He’s also aiming to put to rest his predecessor’s law enforcement reforms and to challenge affirmative action in university admissions.

Most recently, the Department of Justice issued a search warrant authorizing the seizure of data files from a website focused on organizing protests against Donald Trump’s inauguration.

As detailed in a recent Care2 report, this warrant targets DisruptJ20.org, and it could end up encompassing around 1.3 million Americans.

What is particularly unnerving about this warrant, aside from its gross unconstitutionality, is the impetus behind it: to punish those who oppose President Trump.

The audacity of this action is particularly apparent given that the United States is seeing the rapid re-emergence of violent white nationalism and fascism. And while Trump protestors have merely embarrassed the thin-skinned president and smashed up a few limos, the latter movement is actively injuring and killing innocents while carrying out acts of terrorism.

And yet we have seen neither the Department of Justice nor the White House provide the public with even basic lip service regarding the menace of white nationalism –- let alone take any sort of meaningful action.

No, apparently anti-Trump supporters are the true threat to American security.

The Department of Justice’s warrant is not the first instance of this administration going to war with the president’s critics. Not long ago the White House released the information of nearly 100 people who had made negative online comments to the commission investigating supposed voter fraud during the presidential election. This information included full names, emails and even phone numbers.

At best, this was an act of stupidity; at worse, a deliberate act of malice. But what happens when the increasingly emboldened white nationalists who fervently support Trump decide to terrorize those individuals exposed by the White House?

President Trump and his administration, especially in the wake of the terrorist attack in Charlottesville, have made it abundantly clear how they align themselves –- and it is not with the democracy-loving citizens of the United States.

While many people have rushed to condemn Trump’s impotent response to the Charlottesville attack and label him a neo-Nazi, his motivations are actually far more straightforward. Though, yes, he has surrounded himself with white nationalist sympathizers like Jeff Sessions and Steve Bannon, I would argue that Trump has very little personal stake in such ideology.

Rather, the president is, without any hint of shame whatsoever, clutching desperately at straws. As much as he and his supporters may want to declare it “fake news,” the fact is that Trump’s approval ratings are circling the drain. As a successful television entertainer, Trump thrives on popularity and fandom — and when it comes to being a good showman, he must contort himself to please his audience.

As more and more of Trump’s voter base jumps ship, his natural instinct as an entertainer is to appeal to those who have always had his back: white nationalists and neo-Nazis.

For an egotistical narcissist like Donald Trump, ratings and approval supersede everything else — no matter how he earns them.

Photo Credit: Sasha Kimel/Flickr

by on Aug. 22, 2017 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CraziestTexan39
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I happen to absolutely agree with this article. Having a POTUS that is so flippant and frankly hypocritical about this. Especially given just how deeply divided and turbulent our country is right now. Honestly I have more concerns with the domestic threats from both the FAR right and FAR left. I have far more worries and yes some fear from both the white nationalist & no Nazi, because even though I'm white I am not always seen that way since I've got a dark olive complexion, big brown eyes and black hair. Dealt with racists my whole life believing I was Mexican or some type of Latina or even Middle Eastern.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

What domestic terrorism?

bluefirewolf
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 8:24 PM

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting EireLass:

What domestic terrorism?

WilyMommy
by Missbod on Aug. 22, 2017 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this
If you're going to bitch about white nationalism, at least look into extremists at the opposite end of the spectrum and the threat they pose, which is just as real. Hardly anyone on either side wants to do this, which is why I find myself more moderate than ever. Hypocrisy is a human flaw.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this

?? The only thing in the post that I see with an attempted connection to terrorism is Charlottesville. (unless I'm missing something) There wasn't any domestic terrorism there.

Quoting bluefirewolf:

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting EireLass:

What domestic terrorism?

bluefirewolf
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 3:39 AM
2 moms liked this

if you are wondering what organizations are considered domestic terrorist organizations you can refer to the southern poverty law center, and the anti-defamation league

Quoting EireLass:

?? The only thing in the post that I see with an attempted connection to terrorism is Charlottesville. (unless I'm missing something) There wasn't any domestic terrorism there.

Quoting bluefirewolf:

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting EireLass:

What domestic terrorism?

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 6:46 PM

Thank you!!

Quoting bluefirewolf:

if you are wondering what organizations are considered domestic terrorist organizations you can refer to the southern poverty law center, and the anti-defamation league

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting bluefirewolf:

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting EireLass:

What domestic terrorism?

KittyMom1026
by Scorpio on Aug. 23, 2017 at 6:50 PM

You don't consider the KKK, white supremacists, and the Nazis terrorists?

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting bluefirewolf:

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting EireLass:

What domestic terrorism?

BmoreRavens
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Again, the ONLY message that the Democrats have is HATE ... and the 

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2017 at 2:37 PM

As individual groups, I don't see that they have any political goal. And in reference to the Charlottesville travesty, there wasn't any act of domestic terrorism going on. 

Quoting KittyMom1026:

You don't consider the KKK, white supremacists, and the Nazis terrorists?

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting bluefirewolf:

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting EireLass:

What domestic terrorism?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)