Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hospital staff circulated photos of patient's genital injury, investigation reveals

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2017 at 11:22 AM
  • 56 Replies

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/09/14/hospital-staff-circulated-photos-patients-genital-injury-investigation-reveals.html

Two doctors at a Pennsylvania hospital were suspended after a witness claimed a number of hospital staffers formed a “cheerleader type pyramid” to take photos and videos of a patient with a genital injury. A state investigation revealed the incident occurred on Dec. 23 at UPMC Bedford Memorial, and involved a patient who required surgery for a genital injury to remove a “foreign body,” PennLive.com reported.

The hospital’s administrators were notified in January after a witness complained about a series of photos circulating among staff members, the news outlet reported. The state’s health department opened its own investigation into the incident in May.

“In January a hospital employee came forward to complain about photographs that were circulating around the hospital, of a patient under anesthesia while in the [operating room],” according to the health department’s investigation.  “The patient had a genital injury and OR staff had apparently taken photos and video of the patient using their personal cell phones, and were showing the photos to other hospital staff.”

As a result, one doctor was suspended for seven days while another received a 28-day suspension.

While one employee admitted to receiving a photo from a staff member in the anesthesia department, another claimed a doctor requested a photo be taken with an operating room camera to use for “future medical lectures.” The employee claimed the camera was broken, prompting use of personal phones, but investigators later found the camera to be working, albeit “too complicated to use.”

Another employee who was attending to the patient said “at one point when I looked up there were so many people it looked like a cheerleader type pyramid,” PennLive.com reported.

The hospital is also currently in the process of replacing the surgical services nursing director as a result of the investigation.

TEEN WITH 'RAPUNZEL SYNDROME' DIES FROM EATING HER OWN HAIR

“UPMC is committed to ensuring that our patients’ health information remains confidential,” a hospital statement to PennLive.com said. “The behavior reported in this case is abhorrent and violates the mission of UPMC Bedford and the overall values of UPMC. Upon discovery, UPMC quickly self-reported the incident to the Pennsylvania Department of Health and took appropriate disciplinary action with the individuals involved.”

The statement said the health department approved the hospital’s plans for corrections and that the patient involved in the incident has been notified.

“Since this is an ongoing investigation we are not at liberty to comment further at this time,” the statement said.

by on Sep. 16, 2017 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Debmomto2teens
by Ruby Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 11:22 AM
5 moms liked this

Every nurse and physician in charge should have been fired and their license's terminated

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Sep. 16, 2017 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Debmomto2teens:

Every nurse and physician in charge should have been fired and their license's terminated

Agreed. I cannot understand how this hasn't happened. This is a major, MAJOR violation of HIPPA. That patient is going to sue and rightly so. 

Isn't this something they can have their license to practice revoked for as well? My niece is a nurse, and she said if she had done this, she could lose her state license. 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Sep. 16, 2017 at 11:33 AM
I guess the docs aren't hospital employees and thus can't be fired. I have a feeling this happens more than we'd like to think. Really, unless you're directly involved with the care of an individual patient, even looking is a legal and ethical breach. I remember one time there was as a patient in the Picu who had been abused and neglected. I think she was 7 and weighed 18 lbs. Anyway, a bunch of nurses from our unit ((Nicu) went over for a look. Our manager was informed and those nurses were told not to ever do such again...and the rest of us got a memo warning as well.
Debmomto2teens
by Ruby Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 11:43 AM

Nurses can lose their license if it is reported to the state board of nursing, Doctors would have to be reported to the medical board.

There are other articles on this story too. What they did was such a violation it makes me sick,

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting Debmomto2teens:

Agreed. I cannot understand how this hasn't happened. This is a major, MAJOR violation of HIPPA. That patient is going to sue and rightly so. 

Isn't this something they can have their license to practice revoked for as well? My niece is a nurse, and she said if she had done this, she could lose her state license. 

Debmomto2teens
by Ruby Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 11:44 AM

The hospital can revoke their physician's privileges to work at that hospital.

And both the nurses and doctors can lose their licensing.

Quoting Sisteract: I guess the docs aren't hospital employees and thus can't be fired. I have a feeling this happens more than we'd like to think. Really, unless you're directly involved with the care of an individual patient, even looking is a legal and ethical breach. I remember one time there was as a patient in the Picu who had been abused and neglected. I think she was 7 and weighed 18 lbs. Anyway, a bunch of nurses from our unit ((Nicu) went over for a look. Our manager was informed and those nurses were told not to ever do such again...and the rest of us got a memo warning as well.

nononenever
by Silver Member on Sep. 16, 2017 at 11:45 AM

I have a friend with  a child with a facial deformity.  She still talks about how uncomfortable it made her when staff from all over the hospital came to gawk at her son when he was born.  They weren't even subtle about it - they literally pointed and commented and gasped while she was sitting right next to him.   She was too distraught and in too much pain (emergency c-section) to stand up for herself in the moment.   But she still doesn't really trust medical staff because of it.   Her son was treated as a side show freak instead of a baby deserving of care. 

Quoting Sisteract: I guess the docs aren't hospital employees and thus can't be fired. I have a feeling this happens more than we'd like to think. Really, unless you're directly involved with the care of an individual patient, even looking is a legal and ethical breach. I remember one time there was as a patient in the Picu who had been abused and neglected. I think she was 7 and weighed 18 lbs. Anyway, a bunch of nurses from our unit ((Nicu) went over for a look. Our manager was informed and those nurses were told not to ever do such again...and the rest of us got a memo warning as well.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Sep. 16, 2017 at 11:47 AM
True

Quoting Debmomto2teens:

The hospital can revoke their physician's privileges to work at that hospital.

And both the nurses and doctors can lose their licensing.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Sep. 16, 2017 at 11:49 AM
Yep. Looks-Lou's and it is wrong.

Quoting nononenever:

I have a friend with  a child with a facial deformity.  She still talks about how uncomfortable it made her when staff from all over the hospital came to gawk at her son when he was born.  They weren't even subtle about it - they literally pointed and commented and gasped while she was sitting right next to him.   She was too distraught and in too much pain (emergency c-section) to stand up for herself in the moment.   But she still doesn't really trust medical staff because of it.   Her son was treated as a side show freak instead of a baby deserving of care. 

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Sep. 16, 2017 at 12:11 PM
3 moms liked this

Bedford is such a small town that you can't tell me that this patient's name is now associated with this photo since so many people have it. How is this not a violation of HIPAA? 

I've had surgery twice where I've been completely knocked out, and have always been paranoid about what goes on while you're out and unable to speak for yourself. This just adds to that fear. 

Also, all the folks who keep saying that it's permissable to take these kinds of photos for "educational purposes" are wrong. The patient still has to give permission. They don't waive their rights to privacy just because the doctor thinks having photos of this procedure might be beneficial later. 

Quoting Debmomto2teens:

Nurses can lose their license if it is reported to the state board of nursing, Doctors would have to be reported to the medical board.

There are other articles on this story too. What they did was such a violation it makes me sick,

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting Debmomto2teens:

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Sep. 16, 2017 at 12:40 PM

That would have sent me into a rage. How disrespectful. 

Quoting nononenever:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)