Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Isss Rae: "I'm rooting for everybody black" on Emmys red carpet

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2017 at 7:27 AM
  • 49 Replies
1 mom liked this
The Emmys have been historically White since its inception in 1949. And yet, the 69th annual awards ceremony brought dozens of Black talent to the red carpet, and actress Issa Rae was among the cohort of melanin magic.

As Issa walked the carpet adorned in Vera Wang, a reporter asked the ‘Insecure’ star who she was rooting for during the ceremony.

Her response was unapologetic: “Black people.”

Her dream came true with actor Donald Glover, Sterling K. Brown, and ‘Master’s of None’ writer Lena Waithe all making history with their wins. ✊🏾
by on Sep. 19, 2017 at 7:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Billiejeens
by The Librarian on Sep. 19, 2017 at 7:57 AM
3 moms liked this

"Her response was unapologetic: “Black people.”"

Don't see the first single thing controversial or problematic with that thought at all.

zandhmom2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 8:02 AM

I love Sterling K. Brown!! Congratulations to him on his win.

hotspice58
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 8:20 AM
2 moms liked this
Nice!
jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 8:23 AM
6 moms liked this
Cue the "can you imagine if so-and-so said they were rooting for the white people" hand-wringing and pearl clutching.

Black people have influenced popular culture for decades and are rarely rewarded or recognized for it. I'm glad that is starting to change. I have no problem with Issa Rae advocating for their recognition.

Also, she is ridiculously gorgeous.
SuG4
by Firestarter on Sep. 19, 2017 at 8:24 AM
3 moms liked this
Well hell! It wasn't that many black ppl nominated for Emmys in the first place.

Quoting Billiejeens:

Don't see the first single thing controversial or problematic with that thought at all.

couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Sep. 19, 2017 at 8:31 AM
2 moms liked this
Thank you!
There was nothing wrong with what she said. Hell I feel the same way.

And yeah. She's flawless. That skin is amazing.

Quoting jessilin0113: Cue the "can you imagine if so-and-so said they were rooting for the white people" hand-wringing and pearl clutching.

Black people have influenced popular culture for decades and are rarely rewarded or recognized for it. I'm glad that is starting to change. I have no problem with Issa Rae advocating for their recognition.

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 8:34 AM
Right? I'm crazy jealous of it, it's all soft and glowy. It makes me sound like a serial killer though, like Buffalo Bill from silence of the lambs.😂

Quoting couture-mommy: Thank you!
There was nothing wrong with what she said. Hell I feel the same way.

And yeah. She's flawless. That skin is amazing.

Quoting jessilin0113: Cue the "can you imagine if so-and-so said they were rooting for the white people" hand-wringing and pearl clutching.

billsfan1104
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 8:35 AM

I love love Sterling Brown and love the show "this is us".  I just started to watch it last month.

VooDooB
by The Corruptor on Sep. 19, 2017 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

What do you think the white to poc ratio in Hollywood is?

Quoting SuG4: Well hell! It wasn't that many black ppl nominated for Emmys in the first place.
Quoting Billiejeens:

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2017 at 8:39 AM
5 moms liked this
BJ, if an Irish actress said, "I'm rooting for everybody Irish"?

Do you think anyone would care?

How about if the person was Polish saying the same point, or Italian? or how about a French person making the same claim?

Now I know you're going to say, it's different because I was talking about "nationality" not "racial" identities; but, not really, "Blacks" are talking about a "cultural identity" not a racial one. Much the same way an Irish person is talking about his/her cultural identity and not his/her racial identity.

Yet; fair or unfair, I know when a white person saying, "I'm rooting for everybody white." I know that person isn't talking about culture ... He is talking about race. It's a major difference.

Quoting Billiejeens:

"Her response was unapologetic: �Black people.�"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)