Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Von Miller Ads Being Pulled After Anthem Protest

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:05 PM
  • 22 Replies

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (CBS4) – Broncos linebacker Von Miller may be out an endorsement deal as a result of kneeling during the national anthem.

Before the team’s game with the Buffalo Bills Sunday, Miller was one of 32 members of the Broncos who took a knee to protest what they see as racial injustice in the country.

img 2012 Von Miller Ads Being Pulled After Anthem Protest

(credit: CBS)

President Trump on Friday, and again several times through the weekend, said athletes should be fired for taking a knee during the national anthem, tweeting that “if a players wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL, or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the National Anthem. If not, YOU’RE FIRED.”

In response, players across the NFL protested Sunday by taking a knee, locking arms, or placing a hand on a teammate’s shoulder in a show of support. Some did not even come out of the locker room for the anthem.

img 2009 Von Miller Ads Being Pulled After Anthem Protest

(credit: CBS)

As a result of his actions before the game, Phil Long dealership asked CBS4 and other television stations to stop airing their ads featuring Von Miller. The general manager of Phil Long Ford in Denver told CBS4’s Rick Sallinger that Miller has not been fired, but instead they are changing some advertising.

A full statement from Phil Long Dealerships is below.

Last season, for his protests, Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall lost sponsorship deals. Marshall knelt again Sunday before the game.

Phil Long Dealerships Statement:

We are evaluating the events of the weekend.  It is important to state that we haven’t fired Von. We are in the middle of contract renewal and this weekend’s events remind us that sometimes we feel that we best represent ourselves. We support Von and his first amendment rights, we know Von and he’s a good person. He donated a police car to his hometown police dept. All that notwithstanding when we bring in celebrities to represent us we run the risk of being misrepresented.

We, like millions of Americans are concerned and will respond consistently with our values as a proud American companyfounded by a war hero (Phil Long).  While we can’t control the actions of others we can be responsible for how we support our nation and community.  That is why, years ago, our principal owner, Jay Cimino, founded the Mount Carmel Veteran’s Service center, and is supported by all Phil Long Dealerships.  We support this cause not just with our words, but financially as well, and it is serving hundreds of veterans in need right here in Colorado.  This would be a great time for our community to show support for our military community by supporting this cause or others that continue to serve them after they serve us.  https://veteranscenter.org/

by on Sep. 25, 2017 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 10:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh well. With conviction comes sacrifice.

12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 10:11 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't think some understand TRUMP is a master at branding and understands rating better then anyone. Even without all that it's not hard to see the outcome of things when the left draws a hard line between everyday Americans and liberal supremacists. The left will do what they always do and take things to far and people who aren't sure where they stand will quickly be put off by the unending hysteria of the left. 

jpickens
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 10:39 PM
6 moms liked this

Black athletes have lost endorcements/business arrangements due to protesting for decades.  They know that when they make the decision, so this isn't new or something Von Miller likely wasn't prepared for. 

It really doesn't have anything to do with Trump's branding/understanding of ratings or political party. 

Quoting 12hellokitty:

I don't think some understand TRUMP is a master at branding and understands rating better then anyone. Even without all that it's not hard to see the outcome of things when the left draws a hard line between everyday Americans and liberal supremacists. The left will do what they always do and take things to far and people who aren't sure where they stand will quickly be put off by the unending hysteria of the left. 

MissAndree
by Ronita on Sep. 25, 2017 at 10:43 PM
8 moms liked this
Also, what hysteria on the left? I have only seen conservatives losing their shit for the last three days.

Quoting jpickens:

Black athletes have lost endorcements/business arrangements due to protesting for decades.  They know that when they make the decision, so this isn't new or something Von Miller likely wasn't prepared for. 

It really doesn't have anything to do with Trump's branding/understanding of ratings or political party. 

Quoting 12hellokitty:

ILive4This
by Robin on Sep. 25, 2017 at 10:57 PM
2 moms liked this
Lol at the whole post, but esp the master of branding.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

ILive4This
by Robin on Sep. 25, 2017 at 10:58 PM
2 moms liked this
Exactly! The left is just sitting here watching the right clutch their pearls.

Quoting MissAndree: Also, what hysteria on the left? I have only seen conservatives losing their shit for the last three days.

Quoting jpickens:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

jpickens
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 11:06 PM
2 moms liked this
I didnt even see that last sentence (sorry). 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I didn't make it past "liberal supremacists". 😂😂

Quoting MissAndree: Also, what hysteria on the left? I have only seen conservatives losing their shit for the last three days.
Quoting jpickens:

Quoting 12hellokitty:

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

And I bet if you asked him, he'd tell you it was worth it! Every player who made the decision to kneel, knew this was a risk. I doubt he is surprised or upset.

PamR
by Ruby Member on Sep. 25, 2017 at 11:53 PM
3 moms liked this
The liberal supremacists lol He is a master at being divisive, of pitting groups against one another. But I think everyone is getting wise to this and weary of it.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

cellomom26
by on Sep. 26, 2017 at 12:00 AM
I hope the entitled pro football players saved their money. Ticket sales will now drop, the average American doesn't need to see protests at games. Play the game, protest on your day off and not in uniform. Same with any job.

Not happy making tons of money for playing a children's game, the players bite the hands that feed them. Not too bright!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)