Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

where do you draw the line?

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:30 AM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

Dog fighting, rape, assault, murder, DUI - none of these stopped you from watching.  But peaceful protest is where you draw the line?

ItsAHat@sureguy625

by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 7:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Not sure pointing out that many of the players protesting racial injustice are criminals is making the case you think...

ILovemyPaulie
by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 8:03 AM
They are performers merely for the entertainment of the viewers that watch them. If the viewers are not entertained and enjoying the show then it's their prerogative not to watch. Bye Bye game attendance and endorsements.
It's as simple as that.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 8:38 AM

When my husband wants to watch and learn about politics....he watches politicians. 

When he wants to learn religious/spiritual things, he generally reads about it. 

When he wants to watch entertainment....and sports....that's what he watches. 

He doesn't typically find anyone who mixes the 3 successfully.

The crimes which you speak of.....the entire team isn't committing one of them. He speaks ill of those that do, but one single player does not make an entire team. Like last year when only Kapernick kneeled....he didn't represent the entire team. When an entire team, or very close to it, makes a statement....if he doesn't agree with the statement, he's not interested.

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Sep. 29, 2017 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

But if the team makes the choice to keep the player who committed the crimes....that speaks volumes.  

So, continuing to watch that team condones the choices that the team has made.  

He's interested in that? 

Quoting EireLass:

When my husband wants to watch and learn about politics....he watches politicians. 

The crimes which you speak of.....the entire team isn't committing one of them. He speaks ill of those that do, but one single player does not make an entire team. Like last year when only Kapernick kneeled....he didn't represent the entire team. When an entire team, or very close to it, makes a statement....if he doesn't agree with the statement, he's not interested.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 12:26 PM

He's a NE Patriots fan. They typically drop the player once they're arrested.

Quoting anxiousschk:

But if the team makes the choice to keep the player who committed the crimes....that speaks volumes.  

He's interested in that? 

Quoting EireLass:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Sep. 29, 2017 at 12:43 PM

I've never been a big NFL fan. I love baseball. In fact, I'm going to my losing team's game tonight. Now, I do like basketball and there are many issues with the NBA too. The NFL in general is not a healthy organization, IMO. It's a losing proposition for most players. More pressing issues, IMO.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Sep. 29, 2017 at 12:44 PM

Wasn't the multiple murderer Hernandez on the Pats for more than a season? was he dropped immediately after he was finally arrested for 1 of his alleged crimes?

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting anxiousschk:

He's interested in that? 

Quoting EireLass:

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Sep. 29, 2017 at 4:12 PM

It looks like, going back to 2000 -- Patriots have 14 arrests (and this was from a 2013 article, so there may be more now).  Six of those were dropped eventually.  Of the 14, 4 players were cut (one of those players was cut AND had his case dropped).  So, I mean, I'm not sure that 4 is enough to say "typically" once they are arrested.  

Does it happen? Yes.  Typically? I'm not sure that 4/14 counts as typically.  (Again, could be more arrests and even possible drops since this article was 2013.)

I've found a 2017 article that ups the number to 20 arrests.  It doesn't state how many were cut.  

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting anxiousschk:

He's interested in that? 

Quoting EireLass:

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 5:04 PM

I saw a more recent article (not the 2013), so your #20 is probably more correct.

I am not a football fan, I don't 'get it', so I don't watch it. I did go to one game in my life....38 years ago (I was pregnant with my son, someone gave us Patriot tickets).

I don't follow who the players are or what crimes they commit. But I do know this (and certainly not taking the side of a player.....just real life)....there's the crime supposedly committed, there is the investigation, there is an arrest, there is the pay-off (get out of jail card), there are the threats to drop a case, there is the fear of the victim to drop a case, there is a trial/plea, there is probation, there is jail. Without being anywhere near any of this, and only reading CafeMom, which most women appear to use as a news source.....at which point is the person guilty? 

As far as what my husband is intersted in? I don't know. He is a NE Patriots, Boston Red Sox fan. He misses most games, because we don't have cable here, we don't have a satellite dish, he was unwilling to pay the high price to watch a full game by streaming, he finally rigged up some antennea to watch. He sounds like he's taking a firm stand.....but in all reality, over the past few years, he's missed most games - what is he really taking a stand against? I know he speaks pretty ill of people who commit crimes....this is a man who has never even had a traffic violation in his 41 years of driving. He doesn't see it as the down-trodden black man taking a knee for a conviction.......after all, we live in WhiteTown USA, and according to CafeMom we are the most racist people, so fuck the black man, right? He's a Disabled Navy Veteran - and no matter which way you spin it......he sees it as disrespectful.

But now......do you ever leave your house? I mean, there are convicted criminals you'd run into every single day if you do. 

Quoting anxiousschk:

It looks like, going back to 2000 -- Patriots have 14 arrests (and this was from a 2013 article, so there may be more now).  Six of those were dropped eventually.  Of the 14, 4 players were cut (one of those players was cut AND had his case dropped).  So, I mean, I'm not sure that 4 is enough to say "typically" once they are arrested.  

Does it happen? Yes.  Typically? I'm not sure that 4/14 counts as typically.  (Again, could be more arrests and even possible drops since this article was 2013.)

I've found a 2017 article that ups the number to 20 arrests.  It doesn't state how many were cut.  

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting anxiousschk:

He's interested in that? 

Quoting EireLass:

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 5:06 PM

I'm not a football fan, so I had to look it up. This is what the article said:

During the 2013 offseason, Hernandez was arrested and charged for the murder of Odin Lloyd, a semi-professional player who was dating the sister of Hernandez's fiancee.[5] He was immediately released by the Patriots following his arrest.

Quoting Sisteract:

Wasn't the multiple murderer Hernandez on the Pats for more than a season? was he dropped immediately after he was finally arrested for 1 of his alleged crimes?

Quoting EireLass:

Quoting anxiousschk:

He's interested in that? 

Quoting EireLass:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)