Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If Trump re-established the draft, would you have a problem with it?

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:06 AM
  • 35 Replies
Wherever you stand on this issue, would you want your child drafted ?

by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:07 AM
4 moms liked this
Right after his kids.

No. My kids will go home to Canada.
caustinb
by Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:08 AM
My child, obviously not. But in general, I'm not a fan of drafting. Unwilling and incompetent soldiers will just get more people killed.
PPCLC
by Lisa on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:09 AM

None of our children would be drafted for their different reasons though this had always been the goal of our youngest daughter...first the Marines and then to go on to be a PO.

She can be neither now. 

I'm on the fence as far as a draft and primarily because I believe joining the military should always be voluntary.

princessmara
by Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:12 AM
If any sitting president reinstated the draft I would not mind.
PamR
by Ruby Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:14 AM
7 moms liked this

There is no reason to have a draft now.  As we saw in Vietnam, a draft doesn't guarantee that those being called for service will be chosen equitably.  It's still the poor and minorities who end up in the military, with the rich finding a way to get deferrments.  As we saw with old "Bone Spur" himself. 

3gr8tKids
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:17 AM
2 moms liked this

I come from a Military family.

My father, uncles, cousins male and female, nieces and nephews, my ex-husband, his brother, his father, all four of my stepchildren, two of my own, one of their spouses, and people in his family as well. Everything from E3's all the way up to colonel on my side.

As long as his children and his grandchildren are required to serve I'm OK with it. 

(oh and I'm not the least bit pissed about the whole NFL taking a knee in protest thing)

illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:21 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm of mixed feelings, honestly.

I actually do support the idea of some kind of national service requirement for citizens - but I do not support the idea that they should automatically be drafted into the Army. Not everyone is a soldier, nor should they be. 

And yet, if we did reinstate conscription, perhaps we wouldn't get involved in so many military actions. If all of America's youth is at risk of deploying for war, then all of America's parents will be lobbying against sending troops to whatever new conflict there is. 

trippyhippy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:26 AM
4 moms liked this

Not a fan of a draft dodger bringing back the draft.

WilyMommy
by Missbod on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:29 AM
Yes I would have a problem with it. I don't see how that wouldn't scare the shit out of any parent.
Reading.Rainbow
by Sif on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:32 AM
3 moms liked this

He cannot have one single drop of my children's blood.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)