Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Illinois GOP governor agrees to allow Medicaid for abortions

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:21 AM
  • 0 Replies
Rauner said he talked to low-income women across the state who didn't have access to abortion because they couldn't afford it.

"No woman should be forced to make a different decision than another woman would based purely on her income," Rauner said. “I am personally pro-choice, I always have been. I made no qualms about that when I was elected governor. I have not and never will change my views. I personally believe that a woman must have the right to decide what goes on in her own body.”

The law will expand public funding of abortion to include Medicaid recipients and to those who are covered under state health care plans.

The National Institute for Reproductive Health said the move makes Illinois the first state in decades to lift its restriction on Medicaid coverage of abortion.

“Because of this action, women in Illinois will no longer be barred from using Medicaid coverage for abortion,” said NIRH President Andrea Miller. “(NIRH) is proud to have supported this effort in Illinois and to be part of the growing movement to end all bans on insurance coverage of abortion.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/28/bruce-rauner-abortion-public-funding-243270
by on Sep. 29, 2017 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)