Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

#MeToo

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2017 at 9:03 AM
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this

#MeToo Floods Social Media With Stories of Harassment and Assault

Photo
The actress Alyssa Milano urged people to acknowledge on social media if they had experienced sexual harassment or assault. Credit Randy Shropshire/Getty Images

Women are posting messages on social media to show how commonplace sexual assault and harassment are, using the hashtag #MeToo to express that they, too, have been victims of such misconduct.

The messages bearing witness began appearing frequently on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram on Sunday, when the actress Alyssa Milano posted a screenshot on outlining the idea and writing “If you’ve been sexually harassed or assaulted write ‘me too’ as a reply to this tweet.”

Tens of thousands of people replied to the message. Some just wrote “me too,” while many others described their personal experiences of harassment or assault.

The author and poet Najwa Zebian wrote: “I was blamed for it. I was told not to talk about it. I was told that it wasn’t that bad. I was told to get over it.”

Other celebrities who took part include Anna Paquin, Debra Messing and Laura Dreyfuss.

Men also expressed their support. The comedian and activist Nick Jack Pappas wrote: “Men, Don’t say you have a mother, a sister, a daughter… Say you have a father, a brother, a son who can do better. We all can.”

Since The New York Times published an investigative report on Oct. 5 detailing decades of sexual harassment allegations against the Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, social media has provided a galvanizing platform for women to discuss their experiences. Last week, many people boycotted Twitter after the service temporarily suspended the account of Rose McGowan, an actress and a vocal critic of Mr. Weinstein’s treatment of women.

The #MeToo movement is not the first to use social media to highlight abuse against women. In 2014, a #YesAllWomen campaign drew notice on social media after a man cited his hatred of women as his reason for killing people in Southern California. The activist Laura Bates started the #EverydaySexism campaign in 2012 to document widespread sexism, harassment and assault.

by on Oct. 16, 2017 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
billsfan1104
by Ruby Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 9:06 AM
I saw this going around.
MissAndree
by Ronita on Oct. 16, 2017 at 11:39 AM
5 moms liked this
If every adult woman answered this with complete honesty, I can guess how high the percentages would be. Unfortunately, rape culture and internalized misogyny are so ingrained in this culture, many women don't recognize their own sexual harassment and they participate in the harrassment of other women by blaming them and calling them crazy, attention seekers and liars. Anything to defend men in our society.
SuG4
by Firestarter on Oct. 16, 2017 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Great response! But you there are women who lie!! Look at the number of white women who lie and say that a black man raped them!! Just to name ONE scenario!

Quoting MissAndree: If every adult woman answered this with complete honesty, I can guess how high the percentages would be. Unfortunately, rape culture and internalized misogyny are so ingrained in this culture, many women don't recognize their own sexual harassment and they participate in the harrassment of other women by blaming them and calling them crazy, attention seekers and liars. Anything to defend men in our society.
squeekers
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 1:06 PM
2 moms liked this
#MeToo
MissAndree
by Ronita on Oct. 16, 2017 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that is a different scenario in that it is about racism and violence, more than sexual assault. It's a complex issue for sure, but yes that happens. Sexual harassment as a whole is a regular part of most adult women's life in some aspect if they have any contact with men. Whether it's street harrassment, work place harrassment, that gross motherfucker at the gas station demanding that you "smile, you're so pretty", like it's your job to make his landscape pleasant, it's there. My daughter is 17, and now she's experiencing it.

Quoting SuG4: Great response! But you there are women who lie!! Look at the number of white women who lie and say that a black man raped them!! Just to name ONE scenario!

Quoting MissAndree: If every adult woman answered this with complete honesty, I can guess how high the percentages would be. Unfortunately, rape culture and internalized misogyny are so ingrained in this culture, many women don't recognize their own sexual harassment and they participate in the harrassment of other women by blaming them and calling them crazy, attention seekers and liars. Anything to defend men in our society.
CannotCount
by It's Misspelt on Oct. 16, 2017 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
#metoo

The victim blaming is a huge problem, I feel guilty over never saying anything after I was raped, or after I was sexually harassed/assaulted by my boss, or after I was drugged (a situation I was pulled out of before anything happened). In each of these I could see how I could have prevented it after the fact and felt like I wasn't in a position that I could say anything. I wasn't aggressive enough in protest when it happened, did he even realize he raped me was a question I even asked myself.
Missus_Mom
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 3:11 PM

I know several guys who could answer "me too."

Missus_Mom
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 3:13 PM
2 moms liked this

this!!

There are women who lie, and I think it happens more often than we think.

Quoting SuG4: Great response! But you there are women who lie!! Look at the number of white women who lie and say that a black man raped them!! Just to name ONE scenario!

highlandmum
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 3:22 PM
2 moms liked this

That is the issue since some women lie about this it can make women who it really happens to be less likely to come forward.  I knew a guy that slept with a girl and then he refused to acknowledge her at all.  She told her friends that she was going to make him pay for using her, if it had not been for that girl honestly this one girl could have ruined this guy for life.

The other issue is the term 'Sexual Harassment' is too broad.  There is a discussion going on in MC and the opnions on what this entails are all over the place.  What you say is sexual harassment I may turn around and say it is not.

Quoting Missus_Mom:

this!!

There are women who lie, and I think it happens more often than we think.

Debmomto2teens
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2017 at 3:24 PM
6 moms liked this
And I wonder why more women don’t come forward.. smh
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)